How about ending auto-renew without notice

evernote_user_682048

Idea

Can we revisit Evernote's rather unfriendly practice of auto-renewing annual memberships without any notice?  I get that you need to make money and that quietly billing people is a great way to make money from people who aren't paying attention.  On the other hand, users who love and use your product will happily continue to pay.  Being a good corporate citizen would be as easy as emailing an annual auto-renew email 30 days before the renew date.

While Evernote's billing practices are neither illegal or deceptive, they are a little sneaky.

Thanks

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

17 replies to this idea

I agree a renewal notice for annual subscriptions would be an easy and non-instrusive way to helping users keep on top of things, but I don't know if I'd go as far as to say this is sneaky

Alternatively, you could always use Evernote to store a copy of your receipt and set a reminder  ;)

• Like 6

Add me to the "not a fan of auto-renew without reminders" list.

I signed up for Evernote Premium to give it a try, hardly use it more than storing Skitch screenshots I take for work, and forgot it was an auto-renewing annual membership.

Sure, it's my own fault for forgetting it was going to auto-renew.

I've known businesses that purposefully do not send reminders with full knowledge that people will forget to cancel.  They are those same who explicitly state 'No refunds', as does Evernote.

So here I am, with an overdraft fee and Evernote costing me over $70 for another year of a service I hardly use.... 

I have downgraded my subscription so it does not happen again.  So instead of Evernote sending me a reminder I'm about to renew, and possibly having me keep my Premium subscription, they'll not get another penny from me.

This is not about blaming Evernote, this is about suggesting they become more friendly and caring for their customers, and as such potentially keep more customers around.

• Like 3

Don't know what's unfriendly about it.  When you sign up, you know its a recurring expense so just put it on your calendar (Google or otherwise) with a reminder of the time frame of your choice.  Or how about this - put a note with a reminder in Evernote. 

• Like 2

OK, so others don't think this is a big deal. That perfectly explains why Evernote can engage in this practice.

As you might guess, I don't use Evernote anymore and was recently surprised to see an annual charge. When I did use Evernote, I loved it and was happy to pay.

I was careful in picking the word sneaky. I get how auto-billing can be a feature for some users. But after considering the lack of advanced warning, the lack of any grace period for canceling annual subscriptions, and the EULA (specifically the definitely non-standard language related to credit card chargebacks), the totality indicates to me that Evernote has optimized their policies to harvest accidental billing.

As I said, nothing illegal -- they just took a page from the gym membership industry.

My stupidity cost me $45. That's how I'll remember Evernote which is too bad since I was an evangelist for Evernote and this'll be the story I now tell. A lot of companies might believe that positive word of mouth is worth a lot more than $45.

Hence the suggestion to revisit the billing policy.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I would suggest that you contact Evernote and tell them your story. If you truly haven't been using it, then they should be able to figure it out, and maybe you'll get a refund.

OK, so others don't think this is a big deal. That perfectly explains why Evernote can engage in this practice.

As you might guess, I don't use Evernote anymore and was recently surprised to see an annual charge. When I did use Evernote, I loved it and was happy to pay.

I was careful in picking the word sneaky. I get how auto-billing can be a feature for some users. But after considering the lack of advanced warning, the lack of any grace period for canceling annual subscriptions, and the EULA (specifically the definitely non-standard language related to credit card chargebacks), the totality indicates to me that Evernote has optimized their policies to harvest accidental billing.

As I said, nothing illegal -- they just took a page from the gym membership industry.

My stupidity cost me $45. That's how I'll remember Evernote which is too bad since I was an evangelist for Evernote and this'll be the story I now tell. A lot of companies might believe that positive word of mouth is worth a lot more than $45.

Hence the suggestion to revisit the billing policy.

Or....you could have gone into your settings & canceled your subscription, so it would not renew...

post-48228-0-61305000-1386034654_thumb.j

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I am definitely NOT a fan of auto subscription in any form, which is why it only makes sense to me to track the things.  

Mini off topic rant:  "When do we become responsible for our own actions?"

• Like 1

I totally agree with you: I have Evernote for Business with 9 subscriptions that just got auto renew all at the same time (even if there were not created at the same time). No warning, no pro rata. I had a reminder on my todolist on may 29th for 1 account, and the rest of the reminder in june to every date they were created. I was ready to renew, but not 9 all at the same time.

There is convention in the auto-renewal world, and Evernote should definitely join it! 

Looks like there are a lot of us that feel this way.  For me, this is the last straw.  I have watched the product deteriorate in the last few months, and I am now using Notepad half the time - at least it is predictable.

To be charged without notice for a product that is becoming less useful is offensive.  I will use this year to move to a better product.

This discussion is close to what I was looking for.  I love Evernote.  I own a small consulting firm and it has become my everyday assistant.  The Basic plan is perfect for me.  I tried the upgrade and didn't like it.  I paid $45.00 and Evernote auto renewed me for $75.00.  Not happy with auto renew.  I am willing to pay $45.00 for Basic via Paypal.  I might upgrade again one day if I see the value.  I didn't the year I tried it.  How about Evernote sending me a bill and I'll pay for Basic. 

2nd point. 

I could use a sales tracking feature.  Do you offer that in Premium?

I was unaware this would auto renew and was charged 34.99 with no warning- I cannot find information regarding the auto renew with no  notice in any of their terms of service and it seems shady to me. I plan to file a dispute with my bank and with paypal. I got premium si I could use on 4 devices - 2 of which are android and the android widgets are worthless-so I planned to go back to basic this year. Thought I would have a chance to cancel at renewal but they just hit my account with no notice. Now I have decided to transfer my notes to a more reliable app and bypass evernote altogether- where are you all seeing the auto renew info and eula- where do they state no refunds? 

I agree with the original comment.  This is a sneaky, and perhaps deceptive business practice.  In what real-world situation would it be okay to sell someone a service for a year, then raise the price and auto-bill them a year later without getting consent again?  Would Evernote argue that they can charging a user for the rest of their life if the user didn't ever notice the charge, or do they admit that a lifetime of commitment buried in fine print might be extreme?  As companies go mainstream, voters and governments pay more attention to them. Usually services pro-rate for a month (at most) when cancellation requests are given. More-regulated industries like insurance and telecoms have to pro-rate to the day of cancellation.  Regulation will hit this industry too if they keep taking advantage of people.

I have been using Evernote for a very long time, and I don't mind paying for services, but I was surprised by the price going up so much and was surprised by this policy.  On principle I will stop recommending Evernote now and will warn my friends and family away from Evernote because of this approach to billing.  Too bad.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Jeremy E said:

but I was surprised by the price going up so much

I'm not aware of any recent price increase

I agree that a warning email would be a good practice and have added my vote    
To indicate support, use the vote button is at the top left corner of the discussion

• Like 1