(Archived) Why I'm Ditching Penultimate (Again).

Martin Koss

Hello everyone. It's just my second post here - only just joined the forum after being a premium Evernote user since - well, as long as I've had an Evernote account which is many years now... I wanted to express my 'issues' with Penultimate which I keep trying, and keep ditching... again...

Although I love the way my notes are instantly sync'd with Evernote so I can see them on my Mac right away, that's the end of the unbeatable features.

Before I crack on with the 'issues' I should point out that I keep coming back to NoteShelf. I'm sure there are plenty of other apps that people prefer but NoteShelf is my preferred one for... well, many reasons.

Anyway, why I'm ditching Penultimate, again:

What happened to folders/stacks? Wasn't that a feature in a previous version? To have loads of notes there needs to be some way of grouping them, stacking them or having folders.

The ink is too thick... Way too thick to heave nice readable handwriting. Everything looks like it was written with a felt tip pen rather than a nice thin biro. Not nice on the screen. Not easy to read at a quick glance.

Still only one style of pen! What? Lagging behind all the competition there!

The odd zoom thing that was introduced after years of people asking "where's the zoom?"

Oh dear. Oh deary deary me indeed. Whoever came up with that needs to learn a bit about usability for sure.

Any idea why not a single other handwriting app uses such a daft method of zoom? 'Cos it ain't nice to use. (IMO).

Wrist Guard! Fail. Years ago when I first used it I was impressed - but since then, while other apps have moved on and got better, Penultimate seems to have lagged way behind and the constant need to pick up the erasure is annoying.

Penultimate was (I think) the best for quality handwriting years ago but it's not now. Too many bits missing, too many blobs from the hand touching the screen... Spent loads on expensive Stylus Pens and still, Penultimate is the weak link.

So, there ya go guys. My feedback on Penultimate so far.

I love Evernote and I love what Penultimate should be, and thought I should share my thoughts.

Cheers.

Martin

• Level 5*

Hello everyone. It's just my second post here - only just joined the forum after being a premium Evernote user since - well, as long as I've had an Evernote account which is many years now... I wanted to express my 'issues' with Penultimate which I keep trying, and keep ditching... again...

Although I love the way my notes are instantly sync'd with Evernote so I can see them on my Mac right away, that's the end of the unbeatable features.

Before I crack on with the 'issues' I should point out that I keep coming back to NoteShelf. I'm sure there are plenty of other apps that people prefer but NoteShelf is my preferred one for... well, many reasons.

Anyway, why I'm ditching Penultimate, again:

What happened to folders/stacks? Wasn't that a feature in a previous version? To have loads of notes there needs to be some way of grouping them, stacking them or having folders.

The ink is too thick... Way too thick to heave nice readable handwriting. Everything looks like it was written with a felt tip pen rather than a nice thin biro. Not nice on the screen. Not easy to read at a quick glance.

Still only one style of pen! What? Lagging behind all the competition there!

The odd zoom thing that was introduced after years of people asking "where's the zoom?"

Oh dear. Oh deary deary me indeed. Whoever came up with that needs to learn a bit about usability for sure.

Any idea why not a single other handwriting app uses such a daft method of zoom? 'Cos it ain't nice to use. (IMO).

Wrist Guard! Fail. Years ago when I first used it I was impressed - but since then, while other apps have moved on and got better, Penultimate seems to have lagged way behind and the constant need to pick up the erasure is annoying.

Penultimate was (I think) the best for quality handwriting years ago but it's not now. Too many bits missing, too many blobs from the hand touching the screen... Spent loads on expensive Stylus Pens and still, Penultimate is the weak link.

So, there ya go guys. My feedback on Penultimate so far.

I love Evernote and I love what Penultimate should be, and thought I should share my thoughts.

Cheers.

Martin

Thanks for sharing! I'm sure the developers appreciate the honest feedback. Personally, I've got issues with the wrist protection, "zoom," and organizational options as well. The ink, for me, is oK. However, I really need more ink control if we ever get the ability to mark up PDFs. Without the PDFs, it doesn't fit anywhere in my workflow, I'm afraid.

let me just say i too was completely disappointed in the Jot Script and Penultimate combo. But upon investigation i had learned that i had settings that were ***** things up.

1. you need to turn on wrist protection in settings in Penultimate

2. you need to have the right wrist position chosen for your particular hand placement and pen grip

3. you need to turn off hand gestures

4. you also need to turn off things like "zoom" and others that you have in the accessibility section in settings on your IPad. This one was really messing things up for me. When I turned off Zoom and Voice over the Jot Script and Penultimate works almost flawlessly. 

let me just say i too was completely disappointed in the Jot Script and Penultimate combo. But upon investigation i had learned that i had settings that were ***** things up.

1. you need to turn on wrist protection in settings in Penultimate

2. you need to have the right wrist position chosen for your particular hand placement and pen grip

3. you need to turn off hand gestures

4. you also need to turn off things like "zoom" and others that you have in the accessibility section in settings on your IPad. This one was really messing things up for me. When I turned off Zoom and Voice over the Jot Script and Penultimate works almost flawlessly. 

Wrist protection: On.

Right handed and appropriate hand position: Correct.

Hand Gestures (MultiTasking): Off.

Zoom: Off.

I'm still going back to NoteShelf (for now)... Where the user experience is more natural and there are more ink options and the thinner ink options make the hand writing more readable.

Thanks for your input, though.

Martin

Archived