Suggestion: Sticky notes in Evernote

Wouldn't it be nice if a note could be made sticky and always stay on top of the list in a given folder? If possible preferably with a distinct shade indicating that this note was sticky.

• Level 5*

You can already do this by name / date / reminder and appropriate sorting,  except for the colour option.  Also you can use note links so that your header note connects to others in a specific order.  I agree coloured icons or backgrounds would be good and add to flexibility though..

• 4 weeks later...

Wouldn't it be nice if a note could be made sticky and always stay on top of the list in a given folder? If possible preferably with a distinct shade indicating that this note was sticky.

A workaround I have started to use is to change the created date (as this is my most often used sort criteria), so that I modify the "Created Date" from for example 28-12-2013 to 28-12-2099. Then the notes I want as sticky (almost) always stays on top.

• Level 5

A workaround I have started to use is to change the created date (as this is my most often used sort criteria), so that I modify the "Created Date" from for example 28-12-2013 to 28-12-2099. Then the notes I want as sticky (almost) always stays on top.

I find this is a powerful way to operate Evernote as a to-do list / task-manager

Not only for sticky notes, but also for everything in the future - appointments, reminders, meetings, tasks, birthdays, todo's, etc. The issue I ran into was trying to find today's most current note. So I created a solitary note to visually divide the timeline between the past and the future. This note has a title with about 50 asterisks to make it stand out. Here is what the title of the note looks like:

** Future Stuff ************************************************

How do I locate it?

It was much easier with the Evernote favorite bar in previous versions. With the current release (no favorite bar), I dragged the note to the Shortcuts area. When I click on this shortcut, I can see my past notes, my current notes (today) and my future notes. There is one drawback, but not a big issue for me - each morning, I change the note's created date to today. It is always scheduled for 11:55PM, so all of today's notes fall below this Future Stuff note.

The new Evernote Reminder system?

Meh. In my opinion, it's not ready for prime time yet.

Search Code 47ER92
  • Level 5*

The way to do this in Evernote now is to use a reminder. Adding a reminder to a note will put the note in a reminder list at the top of any search query that it's a part of, including a notebook selection (Evernote does not have folders). This is regardless of how your note list is sorted, which is why mucking around with the created date is a hackish workaround.
  • Level 5

The system I use might be hackish, but it works and has worked very nicely for the past 3 years.

The Evernote "reminder" system could use some more tweaking.

There are several problems with Evernote "reminders". They cannot be viewed in either

a.) the standard List View or

b.) the much more powerful Vertical List view (Ctrl Shift F5).

So whenever a user with either view wants to look at an Evernote "reminder" they have to remember to manually switch over to the space-consuming Snippet view or the clunky card view. With the Created Date method, my reminders are always viewable without being forced to swap views.

And the Evernote "reminders" take up a lot of space.

In the same 3 inches of vertical space, I can view 18 of my reminders using the Created Date, vs a measly 4 Evernote "reminders" (in 3 different notebooks).  

Other users have offered additional feedback on the Evernote "reminder" system. There are some who love it, some who don't. I take the latter position and don't bother to use it.

Content is king when it comes to my data.  I want to see as much of the relevant information as possible. If I decided to use Evernote "reminders", my Note List panel would be consumed with excessive amounts of horizontal lines, white spaces, non-essential notebook names for the items I have planned for the future.

• Level 5*

That's a good point; that reminders cannot be viewed in list view in the Windows client is a flaw that should be remedied, in my opinion. This was noted in the early reminder betas. On the other hand, Windows isn't the only client used (and the OP didn't specify): for example, reminders appear in all views of the Android client (can't speak to Mac or iOS, though). And list view is not the only note view available on Windows.

Again, what reminders do accomplish -- when they're available -- is, as I said, the ability to put certain notes up at the top of a note view regardless of how the view is sorted, mucking around with created date, or artificial titles/tags/whatnots, *plus* if you don't want to see them, you can just roll them up with a click. Since I use and prefer snippet view, this works well for me, and the workaround mentioned doesn't work at all (not to mention that it's a use that destroys the note's original created date, which I prefer to maintain). For those who use list view in Windows, or who don't care about created date, that's a different story. If the original poster is Windows client user and prefers list view, then reminders won't help them accomplish what they want, so the workaround is the next best thing.

As far as I can tell, so long as the original poster can use them in their normal Evernote workflow, reminders are the best way to accomplish what they asked for. Sure, content is king, but in my experience, too much (or the wrong) content is the devil.

• 4 weeks later...

The system I use might be hackish, but it works and has worked very nicely for the past 3 years.

The Evernote "reminder" system could use some more tweaking.

There are several problems with Evernote "reminders". They cannot be viewed in either

a.) the standard List View or

b.) the much more powerful Vertical List view (Ctrl Shift F5).

So whenever a user with either view wants to look at an Evernote "reminder" they have to remember to manually switch over to the space-consuming Snippet view or the clunky card view. With the Created Date method, my reminders are always viewable without being forced to swap views.

And the Evernote "reminders" take up a lot of space.

In the same 3 inches of vertical space, I can view 18 of my reminders using the Created Date, vs a measly 4 Evernote "reminders" (in 3 different notebooks).  

Other users have offered additional feedback on the Evernote "reminder" system. There are some who love it, some who don't. I take the latter position and don't bother to use it.

Content is king when it comes to my data.  I want to see as much of the relevant information as possible. If I decided to use Evernote "reminders", my Note List panel would be consumed with excessive amounts of horizontal lines, white spaces, non-essential notebook names for the items I have planned for the future.

What am I supposed to see happen if I hit Ctrl Shift F5? Does nothing in WIndows unless I'm mistaken?

• Level 5*

What am I supposed to see happen if I hit Ctrl Shift F5? Does nothing in WIndows unless I'm mistaken?

Should send you to one of the list views: the normal (or "horizontal" version, where notes appear under the list) or the "vetrtical" list view, where notes appear to the right of the list. Hit it again, and it will send you to the other view. If it does nothing, try hitting F5 beforehand, then trying Ctrl+Shift+F5.
  • 10 months later...

I have been using evernote for about 1.5 years. I use two different forms for my company, i'm in the oil and gas industry. 

I use evernote on my pc and have it open most of the times, when I'm out on a job, I use my phone and it links up to outlook and my pc.

I also use another app on my computer that stays open, it's a sticky note app. When I restart my computer, the sticky notes re-appear. I would be nice to have a sticky note for different things.

I've read all the other possible ways to do this, however, for me, a "floating" sticky note that I can move around would be preferable, in addition to what already exists. The reason, Evernote is very systematic and organized, there are times when "reminders" would be best in not such a systematic process, it speaks to the right and left brain.

I used to use actual sticky notes on my desk and stick them on the side of my computer. However, now I use the app....very helpful. The sticky note doesn't always stay on the top, but goes in the background unless I click on it in the icon tray.

Thanks for listening.

C

Archived