(Archived) Evernote is so confusing!

I'm sorry to say, I'm not a negative person but I'm having the hardest time with Evernote!!!!  I hoped it would keep things easy for me but it's completely wasting my time.  I can't name or tag notes or photos when or what I want to.  It pulls stuff out of my personal calendar and puts them as the titles to my photos, and I can't figure out how to change it.  When I try to change it, the pictures get deleted or duplicated at random.  I've never seen anything like it!  I'm pretty used to web-based applications and they are usually pretty straightforward and intuitive.  Evernote seems to do whatever it wants with my pictures and I can't seem to control anything that's going on!!!!!  :wacko:

• Level 5*

If you have a search around the forums you'll find that Evernote is not usually recommended as a picture library.  Occasional photos and illustrations fine,  but other stuff probably not..

• Level 5

I agree with Gaz - photos are better served on sites designed for photos.

I find Google Keep to be a simpler version of Evernote.

It is free, runs on mobile devices, and easy to use.

But Evernote wins hands down when it comes to all the power-user features.

If you have a search around the forums you'll find that Evernote is not usually recommended as a picture library.  Occasional photos and illustrations fine,  but other stuff probably not..

It's upsetting to see that the support that is provided by Evernote to potentially paying customers (I am a premium member, for example), includes passive-aggressive statements such as "if you have a search around the forums".  It's particularly upsetting that, on the one hand, Evernote is advertised by its developers as productivity software, but on the other hand, when a user asks for support, rather than a clear resolution to their problem or additional questions to qualify it, they are given vague advice such as "search around the forums" and lazy hedging to interpret the meaning of (i.e. "usually", "probably", "other stuff") -- two additional tasks to add to their already busy lives (in which they're trying to improve their productivity).  Also, if you're going to be lazy and tell people to search around the forums, at least provide a link.  Just sayin'.

"Usually recommended"?  Recommended by who?  I see the opposite recommendation on your front page.  http://evernote.com/evernote/, which advertises evernote, does not include anything saying that one needs to have a "search around the forums" before concluding that the caption under the first image (see below) cannot be trusted.

Caption under first image ("images" was bolded by me) is:

Keep everything in sync

With Evernote, all of your notes, web clips, files and images are made available on every device and computer you use.

"Probably not".  What does probably mean?  "Picture library" -- I see no mention of the term in the opening post of this thread -- where did that come from?  What does "picture library" even mean and how do you know that Bderoo was using it as one?  How is a "picture library" different from "occasional photos and illustrations" -- where do you draw the line?  Oh, I'm sorry, my mistake, I should "have a search around the forums".

Bderoo, I too, am having the hardest time with Evernote -- and the clincher is that it was supposed to make me more productive.  It often doesn't work as advertised , things that worked in prior versions don't work in subsequent versions (so I can't rely on anything that was working to stay working), and I spend a huge amount of time and effort working around bugs and getting frustrated that a habit I built with the software needs to be discarded with its latest release -- so I'm pretty upset at having spent money on a premium membership.  Rather than being a tool to reduce the stress of an overstimulated life, it just adds another stimulus to it!

"I use Evernote a lot but don't speak for them."

If you don't speak for them, then why do you have their badge below your forum ID??  It's appalling that a user can have an official-looking badge below their forum ID and also say that they don't speak for Evernote!

• Level 5*

It's upsetting to see that the support that is provided by Evernote to potentially paying customers (I am a premium member, for example), includes passive-aggressive statements such as "if you have a search around the forums".  It's particularly upsetting that, on the one hand, Evernote is advertised by its developers as productivity software, but on the other hand, when a user asks for support, rather than a clear resolution to their problem or additional questions to qualify it, they are given vague advice such as "search around the forums" and lazy hedging to interpret the meaning of (i.e. "usually", "probably", "other stuff") -- two additional tasks to add to their already busy lives (in which they're trying to improve their productivity).  Also, if you're going to be lazy and tell people to search around the forums, at least provide a link.  Just sayin'.

"Usually recommended"?  Recommended by who?  I see the opposite recommendation on your front page.  http://evernote.com/evernote/, which advertises evernote, does not include anything saying that one needs to have a "search around the forums" before concluding that the caption under the first image (see below) cannot be trusted.

Caption under first image ("images" was bolded by me) is:

Keep everything in sync

With Evernote, all of your notes, web clips, files and images are made available on every device and computer you use.

"Probably not".  What does probably mean?  "Picture library" -- I see no mention of the term in the opening post of this thread -- where did that come from?  What does "picture library" even mean and how do you know that Bderoo was using it as one?  How is a "picture library" different from "occasional photos and illustrations" -- where do you draw the line?  Oh, I'm sorry, my mistake, I should "have a search around the forums".

Bderoo, I too, am having the hardest time with Evernote -- and the clincher is that it was supposed to make me more productive.  It often doesn't work as advertised , things that worked in prior versions don't work in subsequent versions (so I can't rely on anything that was working to stay working), and I spend a huge amount of time and effort working around bugs and getting frustrated that a habit I built with the software needs to be discarded with its latest release -- so I'm pretty upset at having spent money on a premium membership.  Rather than being a tool to reduce the stress of an overstimulated life, it just adds another stimulus to it!

"I use Evernote a lot but don't speak for them."

If you don't speak for them, then why do you have their badge below your forum ID??  It's appalling that a user can have an official-looking badge below their forum ID and also say that they don't speak for Evernote!

Hi. Welcome to the forums. For official support, please see the link to support in my signature and start a support ticket. Evernote offers great support for both free and paying users, but you have to contact them before they can help! This is a user forum and all we can do is offer help (not "support") as fellow users. If you let us know some details, maybe we can set things straight :)

What client are you using (windows, mac, web, etc.)?

It's upsetting to see that the support that is provided by Evernote to potentially paying customers (I am a premium member, for example), includes passive-aggressive statements such as "if you have a search around the forums".

You have got to be kidding. If you take that statement to be passive agressive, not only should you acquaint yourself with netiquette, but you'll also need to get some thicker skin.

It's particularly upsetting that, on the one hand, Evernote is advertised by its developers as productivity software, but on the other hand, when a user asks for support, rather than a clear resolution to their problem or additional questions to qualify it, they are given vague advice such as "search around the forums"

This is a user's message board. This is not an official support venue. So unless someone's badge states "Evernote employee", we're users, just like yourself. With the exception that we volunteer our time out our lives to help others with Evernote.

Also, if you're going to be lazy and tell people to search around the forums, at least provide a link. Just sayin'.

A few of us (including those already posting in this thread except for yourself) have spent many hours posting help for others. Who is the one being lazy here? The one who joins a board & doesn't have the courtesy to search for answers & yet expects replies that are normally easily found using the search function...???

If you don't speak for them, then why do you have their badge below your forum ID?? It's appalling that a user can have an official-looking badge below their forum ID and also say that they don't speak for Evernote!

"Evangelist" is the term Evernote has applied to a few of us here who, as I said above, have tirelessly posted help for others. IF you don't like that, then feel free to offer your help to others & show us how you think it should be done.

• Level 5*

Just for the record.  In this case I was making a generic statement about the perceived unsuitability of Evernote for one purpose,  and since it has been discussed several times before,  didn't see the point of rehearsing the same arguments all over again.  Anyone wanting to make counter suggestions would need to read up on the background to avoid simple and largely pointless repetition.

In this case,  sure I use Evernote for individual pictures in many situations,  but it's not my picture library; however I don't know exactly what the OP had in mind - or on what platform - so Evernote 'probably' isn't the app he was looking for.  But being a user myself I can be wrong.  Probably.

In general if you ask for help here in a polite and constructive way and don't mind some gentle ribbing if it's a spectacularly dumb question,  we'll be happy to help.

Just have a look around the forums...

FYI  these people -- Gazumped, BurgerNFries, DrumpyMonkey are huge mega heroes to me in this forum the amount of help they have given -- just to me -- has been enormous. The mount of hours they have invested in answering questions is off the charts. They know Evernote backwards and forwards. If one of these guys says something -- my advice to you is *freaking listen* You don't have to agree but it is coming from super knowledgeable users. 

I didn't find it passive aggressive at all

• Level 5*

FYI  these people -- Gazumped, BurgerNFries, DrumpyMonkey are huge mega heroes to me in this forum the amount of help they have given -- just to me -- has been enormous. The mount of hours they have invested in answering questions is off the charts. They know Evernote backwards and forwards. If one of these guys says something -- my advice to you is *freaking listen* You don't have to agree but it is coming from super knowledgeable users. 

Thanks for the kind words :)

If psherm85 returns, maybe he/she'll give us some details so we can put our brains to work! 

Wow.

Wow...

And wow...!!!

Thank you so much - we very much appreciate the good words.

Archived