version 2 - Windows 8.1

opus974

Does anyone know whether version 2 will work under Win 8.1? Trying to install v 2.2.1.386, getting error: Failed to load DLL: ENLNST

Thanks!

Evernote version 2 has not been supported for about 4-5 years now. I'm not surprised if it won't work under Windows 8.

• 3 months later...

I have tried installing Desktop onto my Samsung 64 bit laptop using Windows 8. It downloads but then will not install.

I have tried doing likewise with Evernote Touch (though I don't have a touchscreen) and can't imagine why one would want one on a laptop or PC (except for the extra exercise of reaching out to the screen}-different however on a tablet/smartphone. However that's for Microsoft to sort out why it would want  too try and put together two completely DIFFERENT approaches to using ICT.

With Evernote Touch it just tells me it has problems running on the laptop and goes to seek a solution -which I then have to kill as it clearly is  never ending search.

Surely there must be a way to install the desktop version. I Have tried both  EVernote -5.2.0.2846 and Evernote 4.6.7.8409 and both fail to install.

Any solutions to this welcome please

• Level 5*

I have tried installing Desktop onto my Samsung 64 bit laptop using Windows 8. It downloads but then will not install.

I have tried doing likewise with Evernote Touch (though I don't have a touchscreen) and can't imagine why one would want one on a laptop or PC (except for the extra exercise of reaching out to the screen}-different however on a tablet/smartphone. However that's for Microsoft to sort out why it would want  too try and put together two completely DIFFERENT approaches to using ICT.

With Evernote Touch it just tells me it has problems running on the laptop and goes to seek a solution -which I then have to kill as it clearly is  never ending search.

Surely there must be a way to install the desktop version. I Have tried both  EVernote -5.2.0.2846 and Evernote 4.6.7.8409 and both fail to install.

Any solutions to this welcome please

Hi.  Are you downloading the exe file for desktop from the Evernote.com website?  What happens when you click the file?  Do you see error messages or warnings of some kind?  I run Evernote on a W8.0 64 bit machine and it's worked for months.

Hi gazumped

thanks for getting back.

No there is no error message when I click on the downloaded exe file on the bottom lhs of the taskbar. Neither if I run the exe file as administrator from my downloads directory.

The Evernote Installation Package shows as a background process in task manager but using 0% CPU and 0.1mb of Memory.

Basically nothing seems to happen when the file is run.

The downloaded 5.2.0 installation file is 81209kb

• Level 5*

Interesting.  Does that happen with other exe files,  or just with this one?

Please go to the download folder and have a look at the list of files there.  FInd the Evernote package and right-click the file.  Try 'Run as Administrator'...

(Apologies if that's what you were describing above..)

Could you ask someone to download the file for you on another computer and pass it to you on a thumb drive?

I'd recommend raising a support ticket with Evernote (see below) too...

It happens only with the Evernote download files; not for other applications.

Yes I was running the exe file as Administrator. That didn't help.

I'll try your suggestion of downloading from another of my Laptops (using Windows 7) and then running from a USB drive on my Windows 8 laptop.

Tried installing from a USB drive with the Evernote_5.2.0.2946.exe downloaded onto a different computer.

Ran as Administrator. Again the cursor just starts to circle then stops. The installation programme again is in Background processes using zero resources.

I shall give up trying now  until Evernote can supply a version of Desktop that works with Windows 8.1. A pity as I have it working fine on a Sony VAio (Windows 7), my office networked PC Windows 7 and my Samsung Tablet 10.2, but cannot get it to work on my Samsung laptop in my home study/office.  EVernote clipper works with Chrome on the Samsung Laptop  however. 

• Level 5*

I can only suggest you go with a support ticket (see below).  From the number of complaints in the forum about "it works on Desktop but not on Touch" and "it works on Touch but not on Desktop" I think we can be sure that Evernote does actually work on both.  But somehow maybe the customisation that the various W8 (laptop?) OEM's throw in derails one or the other,  and sometimes both.  Patience and perseverance are virtues,  but I'm also a follower of the 'if at first you don't succeed,  use something else' school of thought.  If you're otherwise happy with Evernote it's worth pursuing - if you need to get a job done,  go with something else.

;)

• 1 year later...

Run in compatility mode for Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) worked.

Right click on the install exe, then select Properties, then select the Compatibility tab then check the checkbox named

Run this program in compaibility mode for:

then from the drop dowm menu choose Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)

the installation finished without the dll error by using these steps.

NOTE: After it installs, you will have to do the same thing on the Evernote.exe file (run in compatibility mode for Vista SP2.

Good luck 

Archived