(Archived) Unable to synchronize between PC and iOS app

jeb54321

Sorry.  The mobile app has to go.  I will put up with a lot of UI idiocy, but not data loss.

I just spent 30 minutes editing a note on my PC.  I had one reason for doing that: because I was making a list of everything I needed to do over the holidays,  That's... what Evernote is great for, right?

I spent a long time thinking about, work, PCs, the holidays and the shopping and planning I needed to do.

When I was done, I hit the sync button, then picked up my iPhone.

First off, it always takes me 15 minutes to find the SINGLE most important control on the Evernote app:  the sync button.  Why is it so deeply hidden?  Why isn't it predominate on every page?  What could POSSIBLY be more important than keeping all your data in synch?

I found it.  Eventually.  Clicked it.  I have NEVER gotten satisfaction clicking "sync" on the mobile app.  It flickers on and off, and... what?  Nothing.  Did it sync?  Really?  Why does it take longer for my desktop app to sync than it does for the mobile app, especially when I'm on a slow data plan with spotty wifi?

But I clicked, so it synched, right?  How to tell...

Ah!  Let's look at the note I've been editing for the last half hour...

Um, that's weird.  Its right there on the splash page.  Because it was a recently edited document, right?  I mean, it KNOWS that and thats why its at the top of the list.

But if that's true, why is it showing data from last week in that note snippet? 

Ah it must be because its a snippet.  It'll update when I open the document.

Well...  it didn't update.  Let's sync again. 

Nothing. 

Again. 

Nothing.

Ooooooh.  I bet the desktop (PC, BTW) app didn't sync.  Okay, back to desktop.  Sync.  Updating promotions.  Oh, thank God.  It won't update my data, but at least the marketing BS is current.

Sync.

Sync.

Sync.  Sync.  Sync.

Okay, gotta be synced now, right?  Cause if it didn't work the first time, SURELY it worked on the fith or sixth?

Back to the iPhone.

YAY!!!!!!!  It synced.

Open the document and...

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.  The THUMBNAIL is up to date.  But the *NOTE* isn't!!!!!!!

Sync.  Sync.  Sync.

Nothing.

Okay, back to the desktop. 

Sync,  Sync.  Sync.

Here's a thought.  The mobile app has data that's well over a week old.  The Windows app has data I just spent a half hour editing.

BUT...  just in case, let's try something.  I'll make another change on the desktop, another sync, and then take a look.

Change.  Sync. Back to phone.

Sync.  Sync.  Sync.

Hmmm.  No change.  I still see CURRENT data in the thumbnail, but week old data in the note.

Well, okay.  Maybe I can get its attention if I change the WEEK OLD data.

[About now all the old timers are screaming "NO!  DON'T  DO IT!   OMG!!!!!!", but of course this is AFTER the fact, so I didn't hear them, or the internal alarm bells going off in my head]

Okay, let's add a period to a line on the note that won't sync on the iPhone.

Sync.

Now, back to the Windows app.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYY!!!!!  IT SYNCHED!!!!!!!

*NOW* *THE* *WINDOWS* *APP* *IS* *SHOWING* *THE* *WEEK* *OLD* *DATA* *FROM* *THE* *IPHONE*

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CTRL-Z. CTRL-Z. CTRL-Z. CTRL-Z. CTRL-Z. CTRL-Z. CTRL-Z. CTRL-Z. CTRL-Z.

UNDO. UNDO. UNDO. UNDO. UNDO. UNDO. UNDO. UNDO. UNDO. UNDO. UNDO.

Nada.  Zip.  Zilch.  Zero.

Oh yeah.  I'm not premium.  I can't get back my document history.  Even though the mobile app just wiped all my hard work, I have to buy a premium account if I want my data back.  Wow, that is *so* not gonna happen.

Its gone dude.  Stop crying over spilled milk and a half hour of your life and ALL the things you needed to remember during the holidays.

Its gone.

And so is the mobile app.

Jim

Archived