PSA: Evernote for Mac on Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6)

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

In the coming months, Evernote will discontinue support for Mac OS X 10.6. What that means:

• Evernote for Mac will have a final stable build that runs on 10.6
  • All subsequent version of Evernote for Mac will require 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, or above
  • All feature development and bug fixing on 10.6 will stop

Why we are doing this:

• With 10.7, OS X became MUCH more efficient with memory management because of ARC. This means that all of our 10.7+ users will benefit from drastically improved performance and reliability.
  • Snow Leopard development support has been "back-burnered" by Apple.
  • The pace of feature/bug fix development can improve as we will be able to devote our time to newer technologies that will make us all more productive
  • Mavericks (10.9) is a free upgrade
  • Within 30 days of Mavericks' launch, <8% of our user base remained on Snow Leopard

If you are on Snow Leopard and do not want to upgrade, you will still have a perfectly functional Evernote. 

I will leave this thread open for people to post questions or concerns for now. However, please keep in mind that there is no way to extend further support for 10.6. Thank you for your understanding.

26 replies to this idea

So does the latest 5.4.4 update fix all these problems for mac os 10.6 or not?  Why are you not being open about what fixes these updates address?

That fix was stated explicitly in the release notes :) From the release notes:

- Fixed: Issues attaching documents in OS X 10.6

That's great to know.  Thanks for the reply.  But where are these release notes?  I tried to check precisely that before installing the new update but couldn't find them anywhere on the evernote web site.

I understand why Evernote wants to keep it's app current with the more recent OS's. 

I have been using Evernote for at least 12 months, albeit most of the time not as a Premium user.

I recently had a technical problem which ultimately led to the support desk saying, "oh that's because you're not using Mavericks."

It would have been helpful for both the Evernote technical support and me, if Evernote had just sent an announcement to all Evernote users on the MAC about the OS support change, instead of expecting them to reliably log into and read the posts in this forum. 

I recently had to reinstall Snow Leopard. I tried installing the latest version of Evernote from Appstore and upon signing in, it crashes.

I uninstalled and downloaded/installed from Evernote website, but still crashes on signing in.

I've tried both the above steps severallllll times, but no luck.

Where could I download a previous version of Evernote which would work with a brand new install of 10.6.8?

• Level 5

The current version as Jan 20, 2014 that you download from Evernote.com or the Mac App Store will work on Mac OS 10.6.

We will continue to provide public links for versions compatible with 10.6 on our website. 

• Level 5

1. We have not released the final stable version that is compatible with 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

This thread is only serving as a PSA that we will stop developing NEW versions of Evernote for Snow Leopard

You can always keep using old versions of Evernote with 10.6

You WILL NOT lose any data when we drop Snow Leopard support. You will continue to be able to run the last 10.6 compatible version of Evernote and keep all your data.

• Level 5*

I hate to say this, but: everyone uses evernote to store valuable data.  If evernote decides to stop supporting a particular OSX version, where there exists some users who cannot upgrade, that is equivalent to the situation where your hard drive crashed with all it's content - except that you can't restore the data unless you bought a new computer.

Kashif

i am also  very , very  angry  about  all that  ................

and   i will  NOT  LONGER  PAY   for  an  unnecessary   Premium-Membership

Why? It doesn't mean that the Evernote version that you are using will magically stop working. It just means that you won't be able to upgrade.
  • Level 5*

I hate to say this, but: everyone uses evernote to store valuable data. If evernote decides to stop supporting a particular OSX version, where there exists some users who cannot upgrade, that is equivalent to the situation where your hard drive crashed with all it's content - except that you can't restore the data unless you bought a new computer.

Kashif

I don't understand the analogy.It seems like hyperbole to me, but maybe I am missing something.

1 Evernote works now and it will continue to work in the future. You may not be able to update the app, but you are not updating your OS, so that is your choice. The app will continue to function just fine for the life of your computer.

2 Updating to Mavericks is free. Doing so will give you access to all of the new Evernote functionality.

3 Go to www.evernote.com and you can use Evernote.Your data is all safe and sound there, and will be going forward no matter what OS you use.

I hate to say this, but: everyone uses evernote to store valuable data.  If evernote decides to stop supporting a particular OSX version, where there exists some users who cannot upgrade, that is equivalent to the situation where your hard drive crashed with all it's content - except that you can't restore the data unless you bought a new computer.

Kashif

i am also  very , very  angry  about  all that  ................

and   i will  NOT  LONGER  PAY   for  an  unnecessary   Premium-Membership

• Level 5*

I don't see the equivalency. Except for data stored in local notebooks, your data is stored in the cloud. Buy a new computer, install Evernote, and your notes get synced to the new computer. And if you have local notebooks, you can export to Evernote format, and re-import to the new computer.

Kashif

Edit by Moderator for factual inaccuracy: Evernote will continue to work on 10.6. After we cease support, you just won't get any new features or bug fixes. We will have a stable release out that supports 10.6.

So does the latest 5.4.4 update fix all these problems for mac os 10.6 or not?  Why are you not being open about what fixes these updates address?

That's great to know.  Thanks for the reply.  But where are these release notes?  I tried to check precisely that before installing the new update but couldn't find them anywhere on the evernote web site.

release notes appear in the dialogue box that shows when it detects an update (Evernote>Check for Updates)

Also you can check release notes for the currently installed version:

Help>Release Notes

• Level 5

For me, v 5.4.4 fixed the problem of not being able to attach pdfs (and other files) to the notes.

Well that's great news.  Thanks for letting me know.  But dare I try it? I'll have a coffee and ponder.

The coffee was short but the news good.  I updated and now it works for me too.

i do not want to  change  from  SNOW  LEOPARD ....

so i am very very  DISAPPOINTED  by  EVERNOTE

i had to go back to a backup-version   5.0.7   i had  on  a  harddisk.

i will  NOT  LONGER  PAY   for   Premium-Membership

Good  Bye

Jackolicious:  Why is Evernote so reluctant to providing binaries for earlier versions of Evernote?  It'd help me as a customer if you provided some rationale for not letting us download v 5.4.2 or 5.4.1?

Jackolicious - 

In light of this info, I wonder:

Is it possible to revert to a previous update (one that works with the "attach" feature)?

I have no intention of upgrading my OS X 10.6.8 anytime in the near future, as there are other apps I use that will not function on later releases. 

I have already allowed the updated EN 5.4.3, but would not have done that if I had known the attach feature would no long work.

If Evernote app doesn't allow me to create new notes by dragging and dropping a pdf file to into a notebook, a significant feature is lost to me. (I doubt I'm the only one.)

Any suggestions you have for how to re-acquire this feature (as it sounds like it may not be a bug fixed before abandoning support.)

Thanks,

T

About "All feature development and bug fixing on 10.6 will stop":  I have no problem with the cessation of "feature development" for 10.6, but when you say "bug fixing" will stop too, that makes me concerned.  Presumably, when Evernote considered 5.4.3 a "stable build" for 10.6 -- otherwise, why would Evernote have released it?  Do you have any reassurance to offer that the final build will be "stable enough" to make a stop to bug fixing a responsible position?

One solution I would actually be relatively happy with is for Evernote to make available a whole series of previous releases for us to download. I have to say that there was a fairly recent predecessor to 5.4.3 with which I was quite pleased.  At the very least, I could attach pdfs without issue.   Can Evernote provide such an archive?  

Archived