(Archived) I want to start over -- clean everything out and re-enter

My notebooks are a hopeless mess -- accumulated randomly over the years.

1. I would like to start over with a clean copy of the program (I have it on 3 computers and an android)
  2. I would like to save everything, and redistribute each saved note (and retained notebook) to a more logical notebook structure.
  3. Is it possible to do this?  It would make a huge difference to the value of the product for me.
  4. In this reorganization, I would also be able to take fuller account of what I have learned about Evernote over the years -- as it develops (so beautifully)

Thanks,

David

My notebooks are a hopeless mess -- accumulated randomly over the years.

1. I would like to start over with a clean copy of the program (I have it on 3 computers and an android)
  2. I would like to save everything, and redistribute each saved note (and retained notebook) to a more logical notebook structure.
  3. Is it possible to do this?  It would make a huge difference to the value of the product for me.
  4. In this reorganization, I would also be able to take fuller account of what I have learned about Evernote over the years -- as it develops (so beautifully)

Thanks,

David

Since Evernote works on a monthly upload allotment, I would suggest you simply either move all the notes to an "archive" notebook or tag them somehow.  Then create new notebooks & move the notes into the appropriate notebook or delete them, as you see fit.

Decian, if you have a lot of notes, you don't want to ignore the "monthly allotment" issue that BurgerNFires raised.

Until it is clear to you that it is an issue, consider creating your new Notebooks now and start moving Notes into it. You can do that in batches (if you have a way to identify a set a Notes that go into a specific Notebook) or one by one.

If you are going to move a lot of Notes one by one, then seriously consider whether you want some new Note "titling" and "tag" scheme / structure. If that is the case, firm that up before you start moving Notes to the new Notebooks.

Regardless of how you approach this, try your process out on a small scale. If you try some mass conversion and then conclude the result is worse than what you started with, you may not be able to revert back.

I hope you feel this response is helpful.

Friends,

Thanks so much for your very helpful advice -- and so fast, too!  

1.  I really miss the old Evernote (2.0?) paradigm with the hierarchical nesting.  I didn't quite know how to deal with the flatter hierarchy of the newer visions -- which now allow me to only go one level deeper -- with the notebook-stacking concept. 

2.  I can see that I still have much to learn about the enhancements in Evernote strategy.  And that I need to be more circumspect about generating new notebooks without especially careful fore-thought.

3.  The earlier Evernote versions' similarity to Windows file-directory-structure seemed so much more intuitive and easy to reorganize.  But progress is progress.

4.  With what you've taught me by your suggestions, I feel comfortable with the work (and learning) that lies ahead -- without the nagging feeling that there might be some better way of which I was unaware.

Again, thank you, both -- and best regards,

David

P.S.  @BurgersNFries (neat name), Evangelapologist? 

Archived