(Archived) Why can't Evernote paste text correctly?

dvdsbr

For example, I copy this text from within Visual Studio:

this.Frame.Close();

and then I paste it into Evernote. What I get is this:

this. Frame. Close ();

It would be nice if Evernote did not modify my text. I can't imagine any reason why this is necessary.

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums.  It's not Evernote "modifying" your text for some unidentifiable reason,  but most applications bury coding in the text which helps that app decide how to display the content.  The codes aren't displayed,  but do exist. Translating the text from the coded version to Evernote's display language gives sometimes uncertain (or downright unusual) results.  If you want an exact replica,  output your content to PDF and import that,  or take a screen grab of the content as a JPG.

• Level 5*

Sometimes when stuff like this crops up, I use 3rd-party programs like "ClipSpy" or "ClipboardFormatSpy" to check and see what's really on the clipboard. Sometimes it's Evernote's problem, and sometimes not.

You might also try pasting as unformatted text, using the Ctrl+Shift+V shortcut. Of course, you'd lose any VS syntax highlighting, which may matter to you.

• Level 5*

It's not Evernote "modifying" your text for some unidentifiable reason . . .

Gaz, I'm not sure how you know this.  In fact Evernote must translate ALL text from the clipboard into the EN version of HTML.  So there is clearly an opportunity for Evernote to have a bug in this translation.

• Level 5*

It's not Evernote "modifying" your text for some unidentifiable reason . . .

Gaz, I'm not sure how you know this.  In fact Evernote must translate ALL text from the clipboard into the EN version of HTML.  So there is clearly an opportunity for Evernote to have a bug in this translation.

OK - I'll concede a bug is possible,  though it would seem much more likely that whatever procedure Evernote use simply didn't allow for one or more characters introduced by the OP's application and replaces it/ them with a space.  It's not a process gone wrong,  it's just not fully compatible.  And the inference I read into 'modifying' and 'why this is necessary' was that this was something actually imposed by Evernote out of choice,  rather than (as you point out) either an error or an omission that for the moment at least means workarounds are necessary...

• Level 5*

OK, had a chance to check this out. When I clip from VS2008, the text gets put on the clipboard in several formats: CF_TEXT, CF_UNICODETEXT, and rich text. Evernote takes the rich text format from the clipboard (because that's the only one that has formatting information), and pulls it in. I can see what dvdsbr reported in some cases, near periods and also near ampersands (it's not wholly consistent). I can see using one of my clipboard spy programs that there don't seem to be any extra spaces in the RTF in the areas where they appear in the pasted code, so it looks like it's on Evernote's end.

Interestingly, if I clip the same text, and do the paste-without-formatting thingy, I don't see the same effect (obviously I don't get the syntax highlighting either). Maybe it's taking the CF_TEXT or CF_UNICODETEXT formats and pasting that straight in (makes sense, rather than trying to strip formatting if you don't need to).

For example, I copy this text from within Visual Studio:

this.Frame.Close();

and then I paste it into Evernote. What I get is this:

this. Frame. Close ();

It would be nice if Evernote did not modify my text. I can't imagine any reason why this is necessary.

It's yet another bug in EN that they can't be bothered to fix because they're too busy mucking about with the user interface.

EN doesn't interpret delimiters in RTF properly. This has been discussed a number of times here, for example see http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26937-evernote-reformatting-text-from-mssql/

A big thank you to all those who replied. You're a sharp crowd. An extra thanks to Liam for pointing out previous threads where this is a known issue.

I think "Paste as Text" is a workable solution for me for now, as I don't need the syntax highlighting.

Archived