Some basic questions about Note Conflicts:

Kwitel

My apologies...I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I still have a question or two:

What do I need to be doing in order to assure that this doesnt happens?

It happens quite often as I frequently (and quickly) alternate between my desktop and Android-phone-client, throughout my day.

When I switch form one to the other, am I supposed to be manually syncing each client?

Should I be doing before editing, after editing, or both?

Lastly, what is the quickest way to sync once in a note within the Android client?

When I press the 3 little dots on the lower right hand corner of the screen to pull up the menu and then press "sync" nothing happens.

Any other tips/suggestions on how to avoid conflicts in general is appreciated.

Thanks!

Remember to sync when you stop using one client, remember to sync before you start using another client.

This way, everything should have the current version

And whats the fastest way to do this on an Android device?

Any other tips/suggestions on how to avoid conflicts in general is appreciated.

And don't be fooled by Evernote's "Last Synchronized" information.

I just found out that it does not mean what I thought it meant.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/47061-what-does-last-synchronized-really-mean/

This basically explains all of my problems.

The software says its synchronized when in reality, it is not and is merely in the "synchronization process".

This really bugs me as not only is it not true, but it does not allow for speedy synchronization between devices, when on the go.

What exactly is the point of pushing the sync button, if it wont sync in real time? (or close to it)

I think I need to start looking for an alternative.

• Level 5*

An Evernote client only knows about its own sync state with the Evernote server. It evidently doesn't know about the sync state of other clients that sync to the same account. If you need to know the sync state for a particular device, then you need to check that device.

So now you know what Evernote means when it gives out a "Last Synchronized" message, and no longer need to guess. Making assumptions about critical functionality like syncing is a bad idea.

An Evernote client only knows about its own sync state with the Evernote server. It evidently doesn't know about the sync state of other clients that sync to the same account. If you need to know the sync state for a particular device, then you need to check that device.

So now you know what Evernote means when it gives out a "Last Synchronized" message, and no longer need to guess. Making assumptions about critical functionality like syncing is a bad idea.

"if you need to know the sync state for a particular device, then you need to check that device".

How is that done exactly?

You are implying I can check to see if a certain device is synced, but if its only synced with the server and not immediately across all clients, then what is the point of checking in the first place?

If you are on the move and saving across multiple devices, not having the newly edited notes (relatively) quickly following an edit and subsequent sync, renders this whole process somewhat useless.

Further, the fact that it isnt immediately synced allows for all of these "note conflicts" that I am getting (and explains that problem as well).

One can sync Notes within Outlook via an Exchange account, immediately. This capability has been around for over a decade.

What is preventing Evernote from achieving the same result?

• Level 5*

"if you need to know the sync state for a particular device, then you need to check that device".

How is that done exactly?

This means that you would need to fire up that device and sync, before you edit any notes on that device.

You are implying I can check to see if a certain device is synced, but if its only synced with the server and not immediately across all clients,

Yes. Note that the Evernote service would need to not only check for for all notes in your account, but also to ensure that all notebooks that you are joined to and are sharing are also synced properly their appropriate accounts.

then what is the point of checking in the first place?

To see whether the device you are checking on is synced.

If you are on the move and saving across multiple devices, not having the newly edited notes (relatively) quickly following an edit and subsequent sync, renders this whole process somewhat useless.

Further, the fact that it isnt immediately synced allows for all of these "note conflicts" that I am getting (and explains that problem as well).

One can sync Notes within Outlook via an Exchange account, immediately. This capability has been around for over a decade.

Knowledge is power. If you now know that the software doesn't perform what you perceive as critical functionality for your workflow, then you may need to investigate other solutions.

What is preventing Evernote from achieving the same result?

Your guess is as good as mine. Mine is that this is not as trivial an operation as it sounds (see the bit about sharing; I can't recall whether Outlook supports this type of sharing model, which may make things easier for Outlook), but that's only a guess.

• 9 months later...

I'm relatively new to Evernote. Been getting these pesky Note Conflicts. I see from postings on this Forum that this is caused because Evernote does not really automatically sync between devices or does not do it right away or something like that. Okay, so it sounds like the safest thing is to do a manual sync just before using each device. So.... how do I do that most efficiently to be sure that everything is correctly synced? And how do I resolve these Note Conflicts? And why hasn't Evernote fixed this bug BTW? Help please?

• Level 5*

The mere fact that you have multiple devices, and that syncing to the central Evernote servers takes some time (particularly if the device you're editing on is offline) means that there is always the risk of separate copies of a note getting out of sync with each other. That's what a note conflict is. Evernote has recently taken steps to reduce the sync delay from devices to the Evernote servers, but it's not possible to reduce that delay to 0 in all cases, so you still run the risk of getting note conflicts. Once you understand that, you should endeavor to take steps to minimize the risk. Sync your device before you go editing on a different device. You may call this a bug, but I'd call it a fact of life with a distributed database on a system with imperfect connections. *shrug*

Resolving a note conflict means that you'll have two or more copies of the same note in a Conflicting Changes notebook. Basically, you'll need to take on or the other copies and work with that and discard the other copies (maybe adding changes from the other copies to the one you're going to run with). Can't remember the exact procedure, though; as I haven't had a conflict in a long time now; maybe someone else can pick up the thread, or you could do some web searching...

• 2 months later...

Not sure if I missed it, but did anybody answer the original question if there was a button to click to MANUALLY sync? That way as is now u nderstood, we can all MANUALLY click before say finishing a note on our Android, and then also MANUALLY syncing on our desktop upon initial start of Evernote. Repeat process with any new dditions to a note. Any help on how to manually sync would be much appreciate.

Matt

Archived