(Archived) Offline notebook and sharing securly

Hello,

I have an offline local notebook that has documents that I scan in that are sensitive.   I have a specific computer that I scan the documents in and store them on a local external hard drive.  I would like to however access and search those documents on other computers on my network other than the computer I scanned it in on, is this possible?

If not, how can I store documents in the cloud securely?

Thanks,

Matt

• Level 5*

Hello,

I have an offline local notebook that has documents that I scan in that are sensitive.   I have a specific computer that I scan the documents in and store them on a local external hard drive.  I would like to however access and search those documents on other computers on my network other than the computer I scanned it in on, is this possible?

If not, how can I store documents in the cloud securely?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt. Welcome to the forums!

"If not, how can I store documents in the cloud securely?" LOL. That is the million (billion?) dollar question!

Evernote is secure (in my opinion), but is probably not appropriate for stuff that is especially sensitive or confidential (medical records, confidential company data, etc.). For example, it is not HIPAA compliant and it is required to comply with legal, US government demands for data. Of course, as we saw with Google, the government might also decide to access the data on their own without notifying Evernote (no evidence of this yet, but if Google had it happen, then why not Evernote?). In effect, anything that is not encrypted on the servers with zero-knowledge (the cloud provider doesn't have the key -- only you do) is susceptible to a security breach (technically speaking, so is the zero-knowledge stuff, but that seems the least likely).

At the moment, my suggestion for sensitive or confidential data would be SpiderOak. It is the most robust, secure option available to consumers (as far as I know).

An alternative would be a remote login service like LogMein. My understanding, though, is that this method is less secure than SpiderOak, but I am afraid I am not an expert on this kind of thing. What I can say is that a remote login would enable you to have local notebooks in Evernote that are still accessible from other computers, but not uploaded to any cloud service -- pretty cool, if you ask me.

Finally, of course, there is Evernote. If you encrypt PDFs before uploading them into your Evernote account, that will provide you with a lot of security.

I have a bit more of my thoughts on security here:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=288

Archived