Evernote...more of one account

• Level 5*

In Android you can't switch between accounts.  The one installed on your 'phone is it.  You could have two stacks in the one account for work and personal,  or you could share one account's notebook with another so at home you can still see work notes and at work you can see home notes.  You will need one account to be Premium if you want to be able to edit notes in the other.  You could try using the browser version for one account - where you can log in to whichever account you choose;  but how practical this would be on a mobile device I don't know.

• Level 5*

Not quite true: you can use multiple accounts with the Android client: open the left panel (which shows your name, the various note creation icons, and the "Notes". "Notebooks", "Tags" etc. buttons), tap on your name, and select "Sign Out" from the drop-down menu, and you will be signed out (and I believe your notes removed from the device). Then you can sign in with your other account, but you will suffer a potentially long sync operation then. So it can be done, but it's not pretty.

But gaz's suggestion that you can use a web browser is correct, though depending on your form factor, it may not be great. For example, the web client on a smartphone is not a great experience.

• 8 months later...

This topic is a bit old, and not sure if anyone found a solution, which may have or may not yet have been posted, but it can be done in Android, but only the tablet for Android 4.2 and higher. 

You can create, for example on the nexus 7, multiple Android user-accounts. You can therefore create an extra account, download a copy of the evernote app (you'll need a seperate gmail address as well, unless you go the "unofficial route" - google is your friend here) in the other account and login. You'll never have to logout (and subsequently lose your notes), all you do is click on the power button and it will ask which account you want to use. So I'm always logged in. This is potentially limited to as many user accounts android 4.2 and higher will let you have. 

Quite handy I think as I've been considering multiple accounts due to the lack of sub-notebooks in Android (and slowness issues from time to time).

I've been looking to get this on my nexus 5 as well, but no luck so far, as Android doesn't allow for switching on the phones. There are ways to include this function by some technical amendments to the Android software, but haven't gone down that road (yet....)

Well, scrap that. Managed to get it working on my nexus 5 as well now...  exciting stuff. Requires a bit of "tweaking" shall we say, but if you know what you're doing, you can switch between multiple Evernote accounts without logging out on potentially a lot of android mobile as well (provided it's Android 4.2 or higher I believe). Search for a youtube vid of "enable multiple accounts nexus 5" and follow instructions. No guarantees and FYI, i'm not responsible for any broken phones. Do at your own risk :-)

• 2 months later...

Not quite true: you can use multiple accounts with the Android client: open the left panel (which shows your name, the various note creation icons, and the "Notes". "Notebooks", "Tags" etc. buttons), tap on your name, and select "Sign Out" from the drop-down menu, and you will be signed out (and I believe your notes removed from the device). Then you can sign in with your other account, but you will suffer a potentially long sync operation then. So it can be done, but it's not pretty.

But gaz's suggestion that you can use a web browser is correct, though depending on your form factor, it may not be great. For example, the web client on a smartphone is not a great experience.

Not a bad idea at first glance, except that if one tries to implement this workaround on Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S5, one would get the message: " Sorry, Evernote Web is not supported on Android browsers".

So, back to square one, which is to download the droid app, which does not support dual accounts.

- could anyone suggest any alternate work around to try then, other than logging out from the first account then logging in in the second account ?

Any update on when this feature would be implemented in the Droid Evernote Client (as per the Apple IOS), as promised 2 years ago when such threads started?

I have been a pioneering user of Evernote and really like the platform, but I wish this could be looked at in the nearer future.

I use 2 premium accounts, one for work and one for home, and I suspect many other users have the same configuration.

• Level 5*

Yeah; since that post, the web client has been withdrawn from the Android web world. 

My use case also involves a work and a personal account, but I just share notebooks back and forth between the two accounts.

• 6 months later...

Thank you for the replies to my question.  Solutions don't work well (quickly) enough.  Another post in a different thread suggested a solution I'm thinking of trying and I'd like feedback before I start. 

I'm still using Samsung Galaxy S5 & want to use this phone to access Evernote Work account notes as well as Personal Evernote notes.  I need to keep two separate accounts as I need to keep personal files off my work servers.  I use my phone extensively to access files away from office or laptop computers and want this capability for Evernote - accessing quickly notes on both accounts.  On another post someone mentioned using two accounts but sharing notebooks between a work and a personal account.  So, does this/will this work?

1. On my personal Evernote Account, all my notes/notebooks are in this account, including all Work notes/notebooks which I will tag as "work".

2. All "work" tagged notebooks will be shared with a separate Work Evernote account.  Which I understand will sync notes back and forth between accounts even for notes I create in the Work Evernote account.  Yes?

3. I can then install Evernote on my work computer which will only access/download "Work" notes/notebooks, which will reside on our Work server. 

4. I'll be able to move/send my MS Exchange/outlook notes, email, etc. to my Evernore Work Account.  (which will then sync with my Work Evernote files online and will then be synced with my Personal Evernote account.  Yes?

5. Will this work with my Samsung Galaxy S5 Evernote app (which is only connected to my Evernote personal account) so I can access my Work evernote notes, as well as my personal Evernote notes?

MS Exchange/Outlook <-> with Evernote Work Account (that only shares notebooks with my Personal Evernote). So, there are not any independent notebooks or notes (or very few) that orginate on my Evernote Work Account.  All Work related notebooks would be on my personal Evernote accounty and then shared with my work Evernote account.

Again, thanks so much in advance for your responses.  Also, if there has been a better solution, I'm very keen to learn what that might be.

Cheers,

Tom

• Level 5*

Hi - In principle what you're outlining should work,  and I don't know of any better options - although whether it will work as quickly as you require,  only time will tell.  Remember that your device sync to the server and then back to each other,  so changes made to a note on one device won't show up on the other until a sync or two has passed.  And the 'shared to' account can't create new tags or delete notes in the parent account,  which may cause hiccups from time to time.  Tags will also share between accounts,  so be cautious how many you use,  and invest some time in cleaning up the tags display with stacks too.  Tags can be stacked as deeply as you need.  Not sure how well that works with shared tags however...

To take you questions in order - 

1. You can only tag notes,  not notebooks;  if it doesn't mess up an existing structure you could add the notes/ notebooks you share with your Work account to a 'work' Stack to identify them in their parent account.  NB you can't share stacks,  just notebooks,  so you'd have to share the component notebooks (if there's more than one) separately.
  2. Yes
  3. Yes
  4. Yes
  5. Yes within limits - your S5 will have limited internal storage and will be able to access notes via a network connection.  You can specify 'offline searchable' notes to be downloaded in full within the limits of your local storage.  I don't know that anyone has tried sharing numbers of notes/ notebooks with a mobile device - be prepared for issues!

It would be interesting to hear how you get on with this - there may be others already using a similar system,  so hopefully they'll comment too...

Archived