Evernote 5.0.3 Fatal Error on Launch

Saikyo

I checked around the forums and couldn't find anyone talking about this issue so I thought I'd start one to see if anyone else was having a problem with EN 5.0.3.1614 for Windows 7. 

Since I installed it I've been frequently getting a crash bug which causes it to display a window labeled "Fatal Error". Followed by the message: "Evernote.exe v.5.0.3.1614 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." No other information is presented other than an OK button. (Attatched an image with the window.)  It started out fairly mild where I could just restart the program and it would go away for a while until I switched machines to the other Windows machine I run EN on (starting it on a different machine seemed to crash the other). Recently however it's gotten to the point where I can't even start the program without it immediately crashing.

I've tried reinstalling several times to no avail and I've submitted a support ticket which I'm currently waiting for a response on.  Unfortunately at this point I can't even provide a log of what's going on since it crashes before I can even do anything. I've never had any problems with Evernote before this and it seems to be running fine on my iPad.

Has anyone else had this problem or alternately does anyone know where I can download a previous version of EN?  I basically can't use the current version at all and I wasn't able to find any links to older, working versions on the website.

post-162760-0-74719400-1384573215_thumb.

Same happened to me today ... yesterday I installed EN 5.0.3.1614 in a new laptop, it synchronized my +1500 notes ... Today when I launched EN, it showed the message: "Evernote.exe v.5.0.3.1614 has encountered a problem and needs to close"

I uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. Today I opened a ticket, no succesful answer so far
:(

I never ended up getting a response from my ticket, but I think I may have fixed it on my machine.  I reinstalled an older version of Evernote, which still had the same error but much less frequently.  Through lots of trial and error (and crashes) I managed to narrow it down to the crashes being most frequent on a single note.  It would crash consistantly whenever I tried to sync the note, or occasionally when I tried to open it.  In version 5.0.3 it crashed on load because that was the note I was trying to load on startup.

I ended up fixing the problem by using the older version to divide the note into three smaller notes each with 1/3 of the content and then deleted the old note (using right click->delete rather than selecting the note).  This seems to have fixed the problem though I haven't tried to combine the smaller notes back into a large one.  Since the crashes were really frequent this took a lot of trial and error and I still had to fix the problem a second time on my other machine which was still trying to read the old note (since it would crash if it tried to sync).  For that one I had to select another note, then sync (which caused a crash) and then restart it which somehow preserved the old sync and had the new split notes in it.

The note that was causing the problem used a lot of the checkbox markups and I was adding to it every day for about a year so I would guess maybe it was some kind of combination of those factors which caused the crash.

I hope that helps you.

This is really aanoying. I don't get an error message but the system is unable to synchronise content. I use in other devices an older evernote version. Anybody knows whether this is the reason causing the problem (using different versions of evernote in different devices)?  

I don't dare to install the latest versions in the other devices, afraid of not being to synchronise anywhere. 

• Level 5*

This is really aanoying. I don't get an error message but the system is unable to synchronise content. I use in other devices an older evernote version. Anybody knows whether this is the reason causing the problem (using different versions of evernote in different devices)?  

I don't dare to install the latest versions in the other devices, afraid of not being to synchronise anywhere. 

If you've upgraded one client you do need to upgrade (or downgrade) them all to the same standard for consistency of operation at least. However different versions should still work on different machines.  I have a Win Vista 4.x working with a Win 8 5.x on 15,000+ notes without any apparent problems.

I am very confused and annoyed at this problem which I have had since October when updating Windows PC version. The web version worked but I was told, every time I logged onto PC version, that this version EN 5.0.3.1614 for Windows 7 is available for download. When I try and download it comes up with an error message (.\Bootstrapper.cpp:906) 0x656: Error opening installation log file.  I am then told the installation file does not exist but I can see it in my downloads folder and other downloads have been working fine. My ticket has been parked by Evernote saying they have a lot on - and it was only when I searched in the forum again that I found this new chain. The web version seems to operate Ok and synchronises - although it won't synchronise with the PC version as I have unistalled it in an attempt to remove the problem. Downloading Evernote for Windows again from their site has resulted in the same error message and an inability to install. Not that it is much use but Windows Troubleshooter states that this is an incompatible programme.  I am well past the limits of my ability here and it seems I will have to revert to OneNote if I can't sort this.

The daft thing is that Evernote for Windows was working OK on my PC - apart from the error message loop every time I opened it and it told me the update was ready to install!

Further point on this if I may. I was on the point of upgrading to Evernote Premium as I really like(d) the programme. However, I suspect I will get the same problem if I end up trying to install 5.0.3.1614 again. Can anyone tell me if it is the same version for Premium users - Evernote have not said as I am using the free programme.

• Level 5*

Further point on this if I may. I was on the point of upgrading to Evernote Premium as I really like(d) the programme. However, I suspect I will get the same problem if I end up trying to install 5.0.3.1614 again. Can anyone tell me if it is the same version for Premium users - Evernote have not said as I am using the free programme.

The free version and the premium versions are the same.

This is what worked for me:

I unistalled 5.0.3 using Revo, I selected to delete all the found data on registry

Restarted windows

I installed old 5.0.1 and everything has been working perfectly for a week now

I wont upgrade to 5.0.3 again

I hope this helps

• Level 5*

This is what worked for me:

I unistalled 5.0.3 using Revo, I selected to delete all the found data on registry

Restarted windows

I installed old 5.0.1 and everything has been working perfectly for a week now

I wont upgrade to 5.0.3 again

I hope this helps

Good call.  Revo clears out all the bits of all the versions from the places that Windows uninstall doesn't seem to reach,  and allows you a clean reinstall.  I'm currently on a beta version of 5.1 which (crosses fingers) is working well for me so far.  I passed through 5.0.3 on the way which also seemed fine...

• 5 months later...

Hi everybody. I've never posted on here before so please bear with me. I've been encountering this problem for a few days - "Evernote.exe v.5.3.1.3363 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."  I've been using Evernote for the best part of two years now, and never had a problem, then this thing cropped up right after I saved a webpage for my son, which was this - http://www.gtasanandreas.net/cheats/ps2.php. From then on, every time I tried to open evernote it kept giving me that message and refusing to open. Most irritating. Here's what I did about it, and it worked;

Delete the suspect note/file/webpage from another device (I used my mobile phone). Uninstall Evernote from your PC. Re-install evernote. The program then has to sych with the mothership and hopefully will come back, minus the dodgy bits. This will only work presumably if you can remember the most recent thing you saved before it all went pear-shaped.  Anyway, it worked for me, I hope it works for you too.

Good luck ! 

Archived