(Archived) Evernote for Windows 5.1.0 Beta 1

dlu

Hello!

We are very excited to introduce Markup to the Windows client. You can markup an image inside of a note by hovering over the image. A markup icon/button should appear in the upper right. Click on that and off you go!

This is an early beta of markup, we'll be adding more features to it and plenty of polish. If you run into any issues, please let us know!

If you're on the beta track, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates.

Or download it here http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.1.0.1869.exe

This bug is not taken care of:

selecting a tag from drop down menu in the search box is broken. Say I type "volat" and I select the tag "volatiltiy" from the menu. A search is performed for keyword "volat" not for notes tagged with the tag "volatility"

Come on, this bug has been reported months ago. Please fix it.

Doesn't seem to do anything here. The button doesn't do anything for me, and the context menu options don't either.

The work on a copy option does create a new note with the image, but nothing else.

EDIT: According to the log, the file doesn't exist?

17:01:48 [8628] Can't execute "C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\ScreenClip[15].png" with "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\EvernoteMarkup.exe "C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Markup" Evernote.Evernote.Client.5 39240 -8 -8 1382 754 %l", error: The system cannot find the file specified.17:01:48 [8628]  * file : [c:\program files (x86)\evernote\evernote\evernotemarkup.exe]17:01:48 [8628]  * param: ["c:\users\scott\appdata\local\evernote\evernote\markup" evernote.evernote.client.5 39240 -8 -8 1382 754 c:\users\scott\appdata\local\evernote\evernote\databases\attachments\screenclip[15].png]

Doesn't seem to do anything here. The button doesn't do anything for me, and the context menu options don't either.

The work on a copy option does create a new note with the image, but nothing else.

EDIT: According to the log, the file doesn't exist?

17:01:48 [8628] Can't execute "C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\Attachments\ScreenClip[15].png" with "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\EvernoteMarkup.exe "C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Markup" Evernote.Evernote.Client.5 39240 -8 -8 1382 754 %l", error: The system cannot find the file specified.17:01:48 [8628]  * file : [c:\program files (x86)\evernote\evernote\evernotemarkup.exe]17:01:48 [8628]  * param: ["c:\users\scott\appdata\local\evernote\evernote\markup" evernote.evernote.client.5 39240 -8 -8 1382 754 c:\users\scott\appdata\local\evernote\evernote\databases\attachments\screenclip[15].png]

same thing here - not working - no evernotemarkup.exe

//Edit: second try to install from your link -  Avast says: "evernotemarkup.exe" is a Trojaner

//Edit2: okay, switched off antivir - installation worked well

• Level 5*

I'm seeing this all work on my work machine, which only uses the Microsoft Security stuff. We'll see how it works at home with Kaspersky.
  • Level 5*

Dispite all the hard work that I guess is being put into v5 it was a letdown to see that almost none of the problems seem to have been fixed since the last update more than a month ago.. But I guess it's just as frustrating for the people at Evernote.

selecting a tag from drop down menu in the search box is broken. Say I type "volat" and I select the tag "volatiltiy" from the menu. A search is performed for keyword "volat" not for notes tagged with the tag "volatility"

noted

Dispite all the hard work that I guess is being put into v5 it was a letdown to see that almost none of the problems seem to have been fixed since the last update more than a month ago.. But I guess it's just as frustrating for the people at Evernote.

Could you be more specific?

• Level 5*

Thanks folks for reporting about Markup not working. We have an idea of the problem.

Maybe a timing issue, but I have just downloaded the new update and the markup seems to work perfectly for me. Cool feature! However, there are a few things that I would like more than this - the ability to restrict the tags list to those used in the current window, for example. So, if I filter by tags I will only have tags that are in that filtered list...

On another note, I have noticed when saving _some_ images that I have tried to edit I get a virus warning (with Bitdefender). Not always, so I am not sure that I can reproduce.

• Level 5*

dlu and EN, many users including myself are not interested in new feature, they would rather have all the bug fixed!!!!

Your question here is kind of ignorant.... do you think EN is bug free? Apparently, you are not reading the forum, otherwise you wouldn't ask such a question.

I like EN but like many users have not installed version 5. Fix the bugs first, please, and don't ask to be more specific. The forum is full of that.

dlu is well aware that Evernote has bugs, and is not someone that I would ever characterize as "ignorant". As a rule of thumb, it's usually better to be more specific when you're trying to communicate with someone, and asking for clarification is not a sign of ignorance (i.e. see the root word "ignore"), but of active interest. There are any number of reasons why some folks have chosen not to install Evernote; not all of them are because of bugs -- but rather because of design decisions that Evernote has made that and are unlikely to change at this time. It would indeed make things clearer if gustavgi could be more specific about where he is coming from.

Finally can test the markup. Interesting.

Some thoughts:

- Completing the annotations etc. is not intuitive enough I feel. You just close the window, but that may not be inherently obvious.

- Selecting items. The sliding tools is too sensitive to go back to the default menu. I found myself having to try selecting something more than once.

Bug:

- Create a note with an image. A large full screen screenshot should do. It has to make the scroll bar show. Delete the note.

- When in the trash, it appears to flicker between having the scrollbar and not having it.

noted

Dear Evernote, I reported this issue for 3-4 beta releases ago... Please look into this. I believe this bug is only present when using "list mode" in Evernote windows. I also made a video the bug in action:

It has also been discussed here before: http://discussion.evernote.com/user/154175-segando/?tab=posts

• Level 5*

Dear Evernote, I reported this issue for 3-4 beta releases ago... Please look into this. I believe this bug is only present when using "list mode" in Evernote windows.

It is not just in the list view -- it's present also in the snippet view, and probably the card view as well. It's really a malfunction in the search control, independent of view.
  • Level 5*

dlu and EN, many users including myself are not interested in new feature, they would rather have all the bug fixed!!!!

Your question here is kind of ignorant.... do you think EN is bug free? Apparently, you are not reading the forum, otherwise you wouldn't ask such a question.

I like EN but like many users have not installed version 5. Fix the bugs first, please, and don't ask to be more specific. The forum is full of that.

dlu is well aware that Evernote has bugs, and is not someone that I would ever characterize as "ignorant". As a rule of thumb, it's usually better to be more specific when you're trying to communicate with someone, and asking for clarification is not a sign of ignorance (i.e. see the root word "ignore"), but of active interest. There are any number of reasons why some folks have chosen not to install Evernote; not all of them are because of bugs -- but rather because of design decisions that Evernote has made that and are unlikely to change at this time. It would indeed make things clearer if gustavgi could be more specific about where he is coming from.

I was being unspecific for a reason. Everyone using Evernote will have their own wishes and opinions of what needs to be done first. Therefore it isn't really relevant which problems I would choose to point out my selft if being specific. My comment was that none of the issues I've seen mentioned reguarly were adressed after this one month update hiatus. Instead markups was added. It would have been nice to see that some of the issues that have been mentioned were fixed, whether or not these would have been important to me personally.

But I do have my own concerns. Evernote has created a system with liimitations which makes it necessary for you to rely heavily on the tag structure if you have a lot of long notes where keyword search will get you nowhere. I started using Evernote on Windows, as well as on an Android tablet where nested tags had good support. But when the Android UI was changed a good time ago, so that you no longer could see the full tag names and thus no longer visually distiguish tags with similar tag names from one another, and when the highlighting feature was never implemented on Android, I bought an iPad just for this. Unfortunately the iPad version doesn't support a nested tags view, so finding notes was once again a big problem, but at least the highlighting feature was a huge help when reading on the go. But in iOS7 Evernote decided that let's implement the letter limitation on tags on this mobile system as well... How exactly am I supposed to know which one of these to choose or what to continue typing as I don't remember exactly what I named the relevant tag in the first place?

vu7a.png

At least the Windows version still worked flawlessly. Until v5. v5 still doesn't support international letters in the search bar tag search. v5 searches for keywords when selecting a tag in the search bar. The jump to tag-function has no connection to left panel, whereas the jump to tag-function in v4 actually jumped to your tag among the nested tags in the left panel. When clicking tags on the left panel which brings you to a tag view in the main window (a nice new implementation in v5) a tag search here doesn't really highlight where the tag is found if you are using nested tags, making the search nearly useless. It would also be nice if the suggestions while adding tags used the 'contains'-filtration and not 'starts with', while typing. I have hopes for fixes of all above mentioned hiccups but would settle for Evernote making their own bug-fix priorities.

• Level 5*

@gustavgi: Thank you for the update. If you've stated those issues before, then they *should* have them in their bug tracking software. But when humans get in the loop, mistakes can happen, and misunderstandings arise, so being vague almost never helps.

One more thing: Re. markup and the highlighter tool in particular (same applies to android skitch): the yellow highlighter does a very very poor job in my opinion. Why did you make a highlighter that actually makes the text less "highlighted"? Please take a look at what happens when using the Evernote markup tool (same in Skitch) vs. Windows default clipper tool (win 7)

Please see my screenshot here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hreatfubaycks1w/Capture.PNG

Just tried markup for the first time:

1. Clicked on markup on an image in a note in the note pane (i.e. not in a separate window). I'd previously opened up the image via EN to make some adjustments but can't remember if I'd saved those changes - it wasn't open at the time anyway.
  2. It opened a separate window, I added some 'stamps' (the tick, exclamation mark etc)
  3. Closed the markup window - don't recall if there was a save option I should've used, expected it to work like the rest of EN and just save what I'd done.
  4. Image has disappeared from my EN note completely. I can retrieve it from note history.

Afraid I'd have to agree with gustavgi too. I have to help people make these kind of product decisions every day in my job so can appreciate the difficulty, but EN does seem to focus a lot on the next shiny thing, and quality - both in terms of bugs and platform consistency - seems to be on a long-term decline as a result. There's still plenty of reports of crashes and slowness and missing or half-baked functionality (e.g. reminder search syntax still doesn't work AFAIK). Don't spread yourselves too thin!

• Level 5*

One more thing: Re. markup and the highlighter tool in particular (same applies to android skitch): the yellow highlighter does a very very poor job in my opinion. Why did you make a highlighter that actually makes the text less "highlighted"? Please take a look at what happens when using the Evernote markup tool (same in Skitch) vs. Windows default clipper tool (win 7)

Please see my screenshot here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hreatfubaycks1w/Capture.PNG

In my testing, they both work the same way: by creating highlight objects, i.e. thick lines with a yellow color RGB plus an Alpha channel (specifies opacity) value that's > 0. When you have multiple highlight objects, and they overlap, then the opacity values are added, meaning more opacity and less transparency in the overlap area. Overlap enough of these objects, and you can reach a state where the highlight can be fully opaque, meaning you cannot see through it. I was readily able to duplicate the same effect in both the web clipper and in Skitch.

From what I can tell, their highlighting is mostly a darker yellow with less transparency. Would that be an accurate description?

I was being unspecific for a reason. Everyone using Evernote will have their own wishes and opinions of what needs to be done first. Therefore it isn't really relevant which problems I would choose to point out my selft if being specific. My comment was that none of the issues I've seen mentioned reguarly were adressed after this one month update hiatus. Instead markups was added. It would have been nice to see that some of the issues that have been mentioned were fixed, whether or not these would have been important to me personally.

But I do have my own concerns. Evernote has created a system with liimitations which makes it necessary for you to rely heavily on the tag structure if you have a lot of long notes where keyword search will get you nowhere. I started using Evernote on Windows, as well as on an Android tablet where nested tags had good support. But when the Android UI was changed a good time ago, so that you no longer could see the full tag names and thus no longer visually distiguish tags with similar tag names from one another, and when the highlighting feature was never implemented on Android, I bought an iPad just for this. Unfortunately the iPad version doesn't support a nested tags view, so finding notes was once again a big problem, but at least the highlighting feature was a huge help when reading on the go. But in iOS7 Evernote decided that let's implement the letter limitation on tags on this mobile system as well... How exactly am I supposed to know which one of these to choose or what to continue typing as I don't remember exactly what I named the relevant tag in the first place?

vu7a.png

At least the Windows version still worked flawlessly. Until v5. v5 still doesn't support international letters in the search bar tag search. v5 searches for keywords when selecting a tag in the search bar. The jump to tag-function has no connection to left panel, whereas the jump to tag-function in v4 actually jumped to your tag among the nested tags in the left panel. When clicking tags on the left panel which brings you to a tag view in the main window (a nice new implementation in v5) a tag search here doesn't really highlight where the tag is found if you are using nested tags, making the search nearly useless. It would also be nice if the suggestions while adding tags used the 'contains'-filtration and not 'starts with', while typing. I have hopes for fixes of all above mentioned hiccups but would settle for Evernote making their own bug-fix priorities.

Thanks for the write up.

There are many bugs reported on the forums that haven't been fixed yet, but there are also many that have been. We also fix issues that may not be reported in the forums. For example we've recently fixed a number of crashes, which may not correspond to any single thread or post in the forum.

• Level 5

A first for me since my first version in 2008, but upgrade prompt for 5.1.0.1869 borked halfway through.

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.  This may indicate a problem with this package.  The error code is 2203"

Setup error: (.\Bootstrapper.cpp:906) 0x643:Fatal error during installation

I second that big time.  Between v5's lag and the search bar not working like it should, I'm going back to v4.6.  It's disappointing. 

• Level 5

Seems you're right.

Reminder that in the mean time you've still got that in the tag filter above the note list. I'm not sure the v5 toe dippers have noticed it much yet...

If I use the Skitch button in Evernote I can make a screenshot, mark the screenshot and it generates a note. So far so good. But the note is not editable with text and no markup icon appears. In earlier EN versions there was a pink banner, but now it has the same look and feel like a "normal" graphic. Maybe a little bit confusing for users.

+1, I have been reporting this and seemingly being ignored for months now.

The other features of the product are not important if you break tags, these are the most important and powerful feature of Evernote but Evernote seems to be determined to kill the feature by leaving critical features for anyone who works with tags regularly broken and by limiting the amount of text you can see of a tag in IOS devices.

Please fix this, please update your ios apps to properly handle tags up to the maximum character length that your service actually supports, please stop passive aggressively trying to get us to stop using long tags.

At least have the guts to come right out and tell us clearly that you are apposed to how we use your product, that what you used to support you don't want to support anymore (like hide unassigned tags), and that if we need this functionality we are just going to have to find another product to use because we are no longer welcome here.

vu7a.png

Thanks for the write up.

There are many bugs reported on the forums that haven't been fixed yet, but there are also many that have been. We also fix issues that may not be reported in the forums. For example we've recently fixed a number of crashes, which may not correspond to any single thread or post in the forum.

If all you were doing was fixing bugs that caused crashes then I could understand what your saying but what it seems like your doing is continuing to try to implement new features without fixing known, pervasive, and extremely painful bugs for your users.

It seems disingenuous to claim that Evernote cares about fixing these bugs when they are ignored while they march ahead with new functionality (which is very cool) while leaving users with a broken application where obvious features that many people depend on are left broken, release, after release, after release.

If we didn't use Evernote so much then it wouldn't matter but you have accomplished a major tenant of your mission in that we use Evernote to remember (and recall) everything we do and so I personally have a great dependency on the product working properly.

I can tell you I don't try beta versions and report feedback for any other product I use, I don't actively participate in providing feed back in any other products forums, because no other product matters as much to me as Evernote.

Please fix tagging in Windows, iOS, and Android or be clear with us that it isn't going to happen and we are going to have to just deal with it or move on.

noted

Dear Evernote, I reported this issue for 3-4 beta releases ago... Please look into this. I believe this bug is only present when using "list mode" in Evernote windows. I also made a video the bug in action:

It has also been discussed here before: http://discussion.evernote.com/user/154175-segando/?tab=posts

@Tetnati, Thank you so much for clearly documenting this and caring enough to make a video of it!

• Level 5*

We have a beta 2 with bugfixes, the thread is here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/47413-evernote-for-windows-510-beta-2/

Well before I go there, I would add a couple of bugs to those listed here.

1. Reminder searches don't appear to work in V5.  Reported the problem, ticket 235249, and response was internal bug report submitted and it will be fixed "in the order determined by the project lead."  Black hole?
  2. If you open a visible PDF, not showing as attachment, secure it with a password and save it you can't open it after that.  It's gone.  Response was you need to switch to attachment view before you apply a password.  REALLY?  This worked fine in V4.  Response also included "we will pass to product development for discussion".  REALLY? again.  Data just got lost, this isn't a sin in a product such as EN.  Ticket 237903. I wish I was making this up!
  3. Still have the issue where tags created on a local note, scan import for example, don 't sync to the servers.  Add synced tags and the tag created locally disappears.
  4. The above and the general sluggishness of V5 vs V4 seem like spots one might focus some effort.  I'm sure others have their personal faves as well.

Anyway, still far more good than bad in the product and I have workarounds.  Beginning to wonder, however, who has the quality control and brand responsibilities at EN.

I second cshilling's first point: reminder searches are still inconsistent, as repeatedly reported a while ago. Again: the long-awaited reminder feature is almost useless to me if I cannot reliably retrieve notes based on their reminder status. Reliable and flexible information retrieval is a core feature of EN, and the  fact that a bug like this exists in the first place and remains unaddressed for such a long time is deeply worrying. I am a paying customer, and EN is in this regard not delivering what it promises. If this continues  I will get to the point that I will no longer trust EN, and will have to switch to a different product.

We have a beta 2 with bugfixes, the thread is here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/47413-evernote-for-windows-510-beta-2/

1. Reminder searches don't appear to work in V5.  Reported the problem, ticket 235249, and response was internal bug report submitted and it will be fixed "in the order determined by the project lead."  Black hole?
  2. If you open a visible PDF, not showing as attachment, secure it with a password and save it you can't open it after that.  It's gone.  Response was you need to switch to attachment view before you apply a password.  REALLY?  This worked fine in V4.  Response also included "we will pass to product development for discussion".  REALLY? again.  Data just got lost, this isn't a sin in a product such as EN.  Ticket 237903. I wish I was making this up!
  3. Still have the issue where tags created on a local note, scan import for example, don 't sync to the servers.  Add synced tags and the tag created locally disappears.
  4. The above and the general sluggishness of V5 vs V4 seem like spots one might focus some effort.  I'm sure others have their personal faves as well.

Anyway, still far more good than bad in the product and I have workarounds.  Beginning to wonder, however, who has the quality control and brand responsibilities at EN.

Thanks for posting.

Regarding 2, what program are you using to password protect the PDF?

Regarding 3. Does the tag exist in both the local notebook or and the sync'd notebook you're moving it to? Does the entire note not sync, or just the tag is missing? Do you happen to be using enscript? (I can't seem to repro this issue anymore)

Regarding 4. Do you see general sluggishness even when the app is not syncing?

• Level 5*

dlu,

Repsonses to your questions.

Regarding 2, what program are you using to password protect the PDF?

• Adobe and Nitro, same result with either.

Regarding 3. Does the tag exist in both the local notebook or and the sync'd notebook you're moving it to? Does the entire note not sync, or just the tag is missing? Do you happen to be using enscript? (I can't seem to repro this issue anymore)

• I just tested again and it did work as it should.  In last communication with support re ticket 130183 they said I would be notified, so I assumed it had not.  My bad.

Regarding 4. Do you see general sluggishness even when the app is not syncing?

• Yes.  Examples are: clicking on a notebook with 10,000 plus notes (intemittent), positioning to the search bar (about half the time with either hot key or mouse), clicking on the tag icon in search (2 seconds plus until the drop down appears every time), after clicking on a notebook, the first note selected has a 2+ second lag, subsequent note selections are quicker.

Something I just noticed in back checking the above, if you have tags that begin with the % symbol, entering % in the tag drop down will not go to % tags.  

Both machines I run EN on are Windows 7, both have SSD, memory of 2GB and 8GB , and I get the same results on both.  Currently running 5.1.0.1926.  Thanks.

2:10 CDT UPDATE - the tag drop down lag seems to be only associated with larger notebooks.  2,000 or less is quick, 10,000 or more lags.

• Level 5*

Beginning to wonder, however, who has the quality control and brand responsibilities at EN.

I thought that was clear.

"Major investors include Meritech CapitalCBC CapitalSequoia CapitalMorgenthaler VenturesDOCOMO Capital."

Taking silly amounts of investor funding does silly things with product priorities more often than not.

And I thought a product which wouldn't scare away newbies would have been a priority....

Archived