(Archived) "tag:" search query - want to search for tags that contain certain text

As of now it seems the "tag:[text]" query only searches tags for exact matches of "[text]" or for tags that start with "[text]" (by adding "*" at the end).

It would be great if I could search for notes that have tags that contain certain text.

For example, I've been tagging Notes about Web Hosting with the tags "web_hosting", "hosting" and "web hosting". I want to be able to search for tags containing "hosting", which would match all of those tags. However, If I use either of the existing tag query options -- "tag:hosting" or "tag:hosting*" -- the only results I'll get will be Notes tagged with "hosting".

In conclusion, I want to be able to search for notes with similar tags in a single "tag contains" query.

If I were you, as a quick workaround, I'd select all notes with 'web hosting' and then tag them with 'hosting'. Then delete the 'web hosting' tag from the system. Do the same with 'web_hosting' and you'll have them all under the same tag.

As of now it seems the "tag:[text]" query only searches tags for exact matches of "[text]" or for tags that start with "[text]" (by adding "*" at the end).

It would be great if I could search for notes that have tags that contain certain text.

For example, I've been tagging Notes about Web Hosting with the tags "web_hosting", "hosting" and "web hosting". I want to be able to search for tags containing "hosting", which would match all of those tags. However, If I use either of the existing tag query options -- "tag:hosting" or "tag:hosting*" -- the only results I'll get will be Notes tagged with "hosting".

In conclusion, I want to be able to search for notes with similar tags in a single "tag contains" query.

I agree with Gurkha.  Having multiple tags for the same thing is sloppy organization.  You shouldn't have to select multiple tags for the same exact subject.  It's no different than tagging one cell phone bill with "cell phone", another month's cell phone bill with "Verizon" and another month's bill with "phone bill".  You need to pick one & use that one tag consistently.  Sure, it's easy to forget sometimes.  But once you realize it, it's better to change them all to one tag.

TheGurkha and BurgersNFries,

That's a good point -- I should take the time to better organize my tags. However, all or most of the other query types search for "contains", so I think for the sake of consistency and convenience enabling the "tag:" query type to search for "contains" would be good.

Archived