Why does Evernote Dislike Android Users?

I've been an Evernote user for a couple of years, and I love the service.  Being in the cell phone industry, I often switch back and forth between Android and iOS (depending on what phone the company gives me to demonstrate), so I experience Evernote on different phones and tablets.  

My current device is a Note 3, which included a year of Premium courtesy of EN and Samsung.  Obviously, EN and Samsung have some sort of partnership going right now, yet the EN experience on my Note isn't as feature rich as it was on the iPhone??  It seams as though every time I get an announcement from EN, it's for a great feature that's only supported on iOS.  Features like Penultimate (the forum post on here for Android is over a year old now), card scanning in EN Hello, the Post-It note feature, and the Document Scanner (vs. the Android Page Scanner) are all iOS exclusives.

I love EN, but I pay the same for Premium Service than an iOS user does, yet I can't get all of the features?  iOS holds a much smaller segment of the market than Android does, with more iOS users converting to Android every day, yet EN is still very heavily in favor of iOS?  Why is this?

Matt

• Level 5*

I've been an Evernote user for a couple of years, and I love the service.  Being in the cell phone industry, I often switch back and forth between Android and iOS (depending on what phone the company gives me to demonstrate), so I experience Evernote on different phones and tablets.  

My current device is a Note 3, which included a year of Premium courtesy of EN and Samsung.  Obviously, EN and Samsung have some sort of partnership going right now, yet the EN experience on my Note isn't as feature rich as it was on the iPhone??  It seams as though every time I get an announcement from EN, it's for a great feature that's only supported on iOS.  Features like Penultimate (the forum post on here for Android is over a year old now), card scanning in EN Hello, the Post-It note feature, and the Document Scanner (vs. the Android Page Scanner) are all iOS exclusives.

I love EN, but I pay the same for Premium Service than an iOS user does, yet I can't get all of the features?  iOS holds a much smaller segment of the market than Android does, with more iOS users converting to Android every day, yet EN is still very heavily in favor of iOS?  Why is this?

Matt

Last year I was posting about how great Android was and how far behind the iOS app was. They tend to leapfrog one another, and I'd say Android is due for an update. Perhaps the release of KitKat will spur them along. There's no way to know, really, but I wouldn't say they have more love for iOS or Mac than Windows and Android. I am a little surprised that we haven't seen an Android version of Penultimate yet, but with the major changes that have finally been pushed through for Penultimate in iOS (recent updates have been quite impressive), maybe they are ready to do it now. I am sure they are well-aware of the enthusiastic and large Android user base!

• Level 5*

Why does Evernote dislike Android users? It's obvious: Android is based on a Linux kernel, and everybody knows that Evernote hates Linux.

*eyeroll*

Of course, if you give any heed to the iOS users here, there's a pretty fair amount of moaning about how bad the recent iOS update is (I can't testify that it is, I just read forum posts).

• Level 5*

Why does Evernote dislike Android users? It's obvious: Android is based on a Linux kernel, and everybody knows that Evernote hates Linux.*eyeroll*Of course, if you give any heed to the iOS users here, there's a pretty fair amount of moaning about how bad the recent iOS update is (I can't testify that it is, I just read forum posts).

I have my complaints about both apps, though I am so softspoken I am not sure if anyone has noticed :) By the way, Apple just made several major announcements (they refreshed their entire line), so I think it is no shock that the iOS app got overhauled. Evernote was actually forced to redo everything from scratch because of iOS 7. I'd say people ought to blame Apple for all of the updates!

KitKat came out and, as far as I know, hasn't required any major changes by developers, so I imagine Evernote is working to get the app right (kind of like the Windows team did with the latest updated to Windows). They have a team of Android developers, and I expect they are not paying them to hone their Grand Theft Auto skills or wait on the iOS team with tea, cakes, and so forth!

[EDIT] By the way, I am an iOS and Android user myself, so I experience the Evernote app in both environments on a daily/hourly basis.

• Level 5*

Yawn

There are more developers writing iOS apps than android. There are very well documented reasons for this.

The App Center is made up of third party apps so it's not very surprising that there are more ios apps available.

I love EN, but I pay the same for Premium Service than an iOS user does, yet I can't get all of the features?

Premium refers to the service, not the client. AFAIK, there are no premium features you cannot use. IE, priority OCRing, larger monthly upload amount, larger note size, priority support, offline notebooks for your mobile devices, access to note history, indexing PDFs, etc.

Please name one premium feature available to an iOS user that you cannot use.

Good point.....but for me, the only reason I need some of the premium features, for example pdf indexing, is due to the fact that I need to use a third party document scanner to scan business cards, since the Android version of EN doesn't provide one.

I usually stay within the monthly upload limit of the free service, but need premium because my document scanner only sends to EN in PDF.  I would probably use EN a lot more though, and therefore use the larger upload limit and other features if I could use Penultimate instead of S-Note (which I currently don't export to EN) and scan my post-its at work.

I understand Apple places more demands on developers than Google does, so the iOS team is constantly having to revamp their app, but that's not an excuse for the Android team to be in the break room all day playing Xbox :P

• Level 5*

Good point.....but for me, the only reason I need some of the premium features, for example pdf indexing, is due to the fact that I need to use a third party document scanner to scan business cards, since the Android version of EN doesn't provide one.

I usually stay within the monthly upload limit of the free service, but need premium because my document scanner only sends to EN in PDF.  I would probably use EN a lot more though, and therefore use the larger upload limit and other features if I could use Penultimate instead of S-Note (which I currently don't export to EN) and scan my post-its at work.

I understand Apple places more demands on developers than Google does, so the iOS team is constantly having to revamp their app, but that's not an excuse for the Android team to be in the break room all day playing Xbox :P

I agree! It's the XBox in the break room that is to blame. When will companies ever learn? We can send Trevor over there to sort this out for us :)

• Level 5*

I agree! It's the XBox in the break room that is to blame. When will companies ever learn? We can send Trevor over there to sort this out for us :)

XBox? XBOX? Why does Evernote hate the Playstation?
  • Level 5*

Playstation is for the Blackberry and Windows teams. The Linux team has table tennis set up in the basement next to the Basic folks.

If you choose to focus on things like this, one can usually always find some reason something is "bad" or doesn't meet one's criteria in order to justify one's POV.  I am an iOS user but also use many third party apps b/c they better suit some of my needs than the EN app.  That's the beauty of EN publishing their API.  Third party devs can fill a niche that the EN clients may not. 

Also, IMO, it's nice to go premium for an app I appreciate & use every single day to show support to the devs & help provide a source of income for them so that they can continue to work on the app.  Since I use & rely upon EN so much, it's in my best interest for EN to continue to succeed.  So it's partially a selfish reason, too. 

• Level 5*

Playstation is for the Blackberry and Windows teams. The Linux team has table tennis set up in the basement next to the Basic folks.
Next to Milton and his missing stapler... :)
  • 2 months later...

It would have been nice to have some type of notification on the outside of the Post-It package (I bought the large one!) indicating that it would be useless to me and my Android phone. This is really misleading-- I have a Premium EN account already and still I cannot use this product.

• 9 months later...

Premium refers to the service, not the client. AFAIK, there are no premium features you cannot use. IE, priority OCRing, larger monthly upload amount, larger note size, priority support, offline notebooks for your mobile devices, access to note history, indexing PDFs, etc.

I ran across this thread after discovering the EN Business Card Scanning feature and wondering why I didn't see that feature on my Nexus.  That got me wondering about other EN feature differences.

I don't think the issue of whether a feature is premium or not is really that relevant.  As a premium member, you expect premium service.

While I would never complain about the fact that there are more 3rd party tools for iOS, when Evernote itself puts more effort into it's iOS development than it's Android development, it does make me feel somewhat jilted.  Paying to be a premium user and then being made to feel like a 2nd class user does kinda sting.  I'm sure there's method to the madness but that doesn't change the feeling much.  

I'd like to see a clean comparison of Evernote features on iOS vs Android.  Perhaps I'll change to iOS on my next upgrade.  (FWIW, I have absolutely no complaints about my Nexus or Android - except when it comes to Evernote!)

The recent Evernote 6 update for Android looks pretty decent:

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/09/04/new-evernote-6-android/

The floating New Note button seems kind of convenient and cuts out the clutter. Wishing that iOS comes out with a nice little interaction similar to that again. 

The recent update to the iOS client was more to include Work Chat. Not any noticeable difference to the actual iOS 8 update I can see, except that we now have some shortcut options in the Notification Center's "Today View"... plus the ability to clip web pages to Evernote. As to the actual iOS app itself, I don't see any significant visual upgrades prior to Work Chat and Contexts... certainly no overhaul. In that sense, it seems that Android got the most recent overhaul. 

EDIT: forget about it... just saw the OP was from November 2013... which illustrates what GM was saying about the iOS and Android apps leapfrogging one another (at least in design this time 'round)

I don't think the issue of whether a feature is premium or not is really that relevant.  As a premium member, you expect premium service.

I think that's what BnF was getting at. It seems that iOS and Android have access to the same premium features.

I ran across this thread after discovering the EN Business Card Scanning feature and wondering why I didn't see that feature on my Nexus.  That got me wondering about other EN feature differences.

While I would never complain about the fact that there are more 3rd party tools for iOS, when Evernote itself puts more effort into it's iOS development than it's Android development, it does make me feel somewhat jilted.  Paying to be a premium user and then being made to feel like a 2nd class user does kinda sting.  I'm sure there's method to the madness but that doesn't change the feeling much.  

I'd like to see a clean comparison of Evernote features on iOS vs Android.  Perhaps I'll change to iOS on my next upgrade.  (FWIW, I have absolutely no complaints about my Nexus or Android - except when it comes to Evernote!)

I don't understand your point about "I don't think the issue of whether a feature is premium or not is really that relevant. As a premium member, you expect premium service." I repeat...name one premium feature that Android users cannot use.  You seem to be comparing differences between clients.  The differences between clients exists whether one is a free or a premium user.  So if you've paid to be premium & you are feeling like a second class citizen then that sounds like a personal issue. 

Archived