Problem with iPad version annotating PDFs inside Evernote

My iPad version of EN (iPad 3) does not want to annotate PDF attachments anymore. Whenever I click the "annotate" button it says "Could not load the document: Unable to read document".

The PDF shows correctly on screen, in the note. It just won't start the annotation editor (to place arrows, add review marks etc.). The PDF itself is nothing special. I've tried all sorts of them and they all produce them same error on the iPad trying to annotate them.

The strange thing is my iPhone (4S), also iOS, does not have that problem, nor do the MacOSX version or the web version. They work fine.

Is there anyone else with this problem? Or even better, does anyone know of a solution for this?

My iPad version of EN (iPad 3) does not want to annotate PDF attachments anymore. Whenever I click the "annotate" button it says "Could not load the document: Unable to read document".

The PDF shows correctly on screen, in the note. It just won't start the annotation editor (to place arrows, add review marks etc.). The PDF itself is nothing special. I've tried all sorts of them and they all produce them same error on the iPad trying to annotate them.

The strange thing is my iPhone (4S), also iOS, does not have that problem, nor do the MacOSX version or the web version. They work fine.

Is there anyone else with this problem? Or even better, does anyone know of a solution for this?

Is the PDF editor on your iPad the latest version? If the PDF was annotated on another device with a more current version of the editor, an older version may not be able to open it.

The PDF was not edited at all. Any PDF will cause this behavior. The whole idea is that I would like to be able to annotate them with EN. In some cases I created the PDF with print to PDF on MacOSX. In other cases I tried PDFs like manuals. No PDFs are accepted by the annotation function on the iPad app (iPhone does accept that).

The PDF was not edited at all. Any PDF will cause this behavior. The whole idea is that I would like to be able to annotate them with EN. In some cases I created the PDF with print to PDF on MacOSX. In other cases I tried PDFs like manuals. No PDFs are accepted by the annotation function on the iPad app (iPhone does accept that).

Is the PDF editor on your iPad the latest version?

Which PDF editor are you referring to? I have not used a PDF editor for this. Anyway, yes, all my apps are up to date.

I create a note, attach any PDF to it, want to annotate it in EN and that fails. No other PDF editors involved.

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem. Evernote suport has worked with it, but thet have not been able to advice me what to do about it. Thay have told me to reinstall my Ipad again as a new device because that might help. But I would sure like to have this solved another way. I use the annotate-function a lot and find it to be excellent when it is working. But currently I am not able to annotate PDF's in evernote.

Did you solve this issue?

Flemming

I solved the issue, but by reinstalling the iPad from a backup and by restoring any PDF reading apps until the one that broke Evernote. I'm afraid I'm not sure which one that was, but it did get me back on track, painstaking as it was. Took me about an hour and half.

• 3 years later...

Archived