(Archived) Why I'm Done With Evernote

My use case was simple: Have one set of synced notebooks for keeping a personal journal and a set of local notebooks for keeping a work journal (can't sync work material to the cloud). My biggest problem with Evernote was that all tags from all notes in all notebooks get globbed together into one big list. There's no way to separate out tags based on notebooks, so I'm forced to swim through my work tags when searching through personal tags and vice-versa. I'm pretty sure I also saw my work tags show up on devices that did not have my work notebooks, which leaves me in doubt as to just how "local" my local work notebooks are.

Today I tried moving my local work notebooks to a new computer. First I tried exporting the entire staple of notebooks, but upon importing them noticed that they get put into one big notebook. Instead of sorting them back out, I exported each notebook individually and imported them one by one. After deleting the notebooks from my old computer, I saw that none of my tags made it over in the migration despite me having made sure the "include tags" box was checked when exporting them. This snafu will have a real negative effect on my work.

Sorry Evernote, but for all the fancy stuff that I'm sure you do, I just don't have time for software that doesn't get the basics right.

My use case was simple: Have one set of synced notebooks for keeping a personal journal and a set of local notebooks for keeping a work journal (can't sync work material to the cloud). My biggest problem with Evernote was that all tags from all notes in all notebooks get globbed together into one big list. There's no way to separate out tags based on notebooks, so I'm forced to swim through my work tags when searching through personal tags and vice-versa. I'm pretty sure I also saw my work tags show up on devices that did not have my work notebooks, which leaves me in doubt as to just how "local" my local work notebooks are.

Today I tried moving my local work notebooks to a new computer. First I tried exporting the entire staple of notebooks, but upon importing them noticed that they get put into one big notebook. Instead of sorting them back out, I exported each notebook individually and imported them one by one. After deleting the notebooks from my old computer, I saw that none of my tags made it over in the migration despite me having made sure the "include tags" box was checked when exporting them. This snafu will have a real negative effect on my work.

Sorry Evernote, but for all the fancy stuff that I'm sure you do, I just don't have time for software that doesn't get the basics right.

What client(s)?  WRT moving local notebooks, you're backing up/restoring...not exporting/importing.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/46013-how-do-i-backup-and-restore-my-evernotes-from-my-macbook-pro-or-iphone/?p=238936

On the Windows client, it's as simple as copying the exb file from one computer to another.

• Level 5*

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about the trouble. Thanks for reporting the issues here. I can't say anything helpful about the process that you followed. I've done it myself many times, but because I don't use tags or multiple notebooks, I haven't had any trouble. However, if I did have tags and notebooks, I would try copy/pasting my database from one device to another. I am pretty sure that this would exactly replicate your environment. Depending on your content, it would probably only take a few minutes.

Sorry but i have the same experience.  I love EN and use it for personal things, but I absolutely cannot afford to have my local notebooks containing work files synced to the cloud - I'd get fired. 

As far as i can tell there's no way for me to separate out notebooks I want to sync and those that should NEVER sync and have some measure of comfort that there won't be a mixup. 

Hoping you guys are considering enabling this functionality - or maybe it's available in the premium version and I'm just not that clued in.  In any case, if I'm wrong hoping you'll let me know, because I'd love to know that I can keep my work vs personal stuff separated.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Sorry but i have the same experience.  I love EN and use it for personal things, but I absolutely cannot afford to have my local notebooks containing work files synced to the cloud - I'd get fired. 

As far as i can tell there's no way for me to separate out notebooks I want to sync and those that should NEVER sync and have some measure of comfort that there won't be a mixup. 

Hoping you guys are considering enabling this functionality - or maybe it's available in the premium version and I'm just not that clued in.  In any case, if I'm wrong hoping you'll let me know, because I'd love to know that I can keep my work vs personal stuff separated.

Thanks

As far as I can tell, the original poster did not have work notes synced to the Evernote servers. What they did report was that "work tags" got synced. That's not surprising because there are actually no such things as work tags, there are only tags, and they all get synced, even those that are applied only to local notebooks.

Archived