(Archived) strangely grayed out window in web clipper

Tiggerlou

For the last couple of days, the Web Clipper window in Firefox shows up with very strange graying out. Imagine someone dusting the window lightly with flour. Some of the text is partly obscured, and quite a lot of it is completely invisible. When I try to select text on the page then clip it --this was when it still had a button to do that-- the window disappears and nothing is selected. So it's not just illegible, it's simply stopped working

I just tried it again to get details for this post --the window appeared with text almost completely gone!  Just a couple of vague squiggles to suggest there might have once been words there.

I've tried logging out and logging in again. I've tried exiting Evernote on my computer.  I've tried rebooting my machine (all cookies are cleared when I do that, so it's a fresh browser), but the problem persists.

Please help! I use the web clipper all the time and now it's unusable! :(

Sorry to hear this, we've not seen reports about this before. Not sure if you tried to uninstall Web Clipper and then re-install it?

Can you provide some more details?

- OS version

- Firefox version

- Web Clipper version

- Does it happen on all URLs or some?

- What language do you use Firefox in?

I'm on Windows 7, Firefox 26.0 (wow, 26....). I can't tell you what version of the Web Clipper (the window is now completely blank). It happens on every URL. I just tried it on this one. I'm using Firefox in English.

Okay. I at least figured this out. I went to Firefox Addons, uninstalled and reinstalled the Web Clipper. But the problem still persists. This time I had a button to sign in, but once again, it doesn't work. When I click that button, it's as if I clicked that region of the web page and the window disappears. Just did it again, and the window is blank again.

All I see is the header: Elephant, Evernote Web Clipper, create an Evernote account. But underneath that, the window is completely blank.

If you go to the Firefox Addons page you should also see the Web Clipper version number. Since you reinstalled I'm gonna assume you are using the latest one 5.9.0.

Just tested on FF 26 on OSX 10.9 and had no similar issues. FF Beta channel can sometimes have bugs, would be helpful if you try the stable channel FF 25 and see if that has the same issues. We'll run some additional test on Win 7 & FF 26.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is the same as Tiggerlou's case.

I also have Windows 7 (64 bit) and Firefox 26.0 (in Traditional Chinese version, automatically updated by Firefox itself, but not Beta version)

Evernote WebClipper now looks like the attached picture.

I cannot do anything inside that frame, any click on any place immediately close that frame.

I've try to uninstall the Add-on and re-install, close Firefox and re-open, uninstall Firefox and re-install, or restart the system, but nothing change.

Any suggestion is welcome.

post-168169-0-25768900-1386733535_thumb.

Not sure if this is the same as Tiggerlou's case.

I also have Windows 7 (64 bit) and Firefox 26.0 (in Traditional Chinese version, automatically updated by Firefox itself, but not Beta version)

Evernote WebClipper now looks like the attached picture.

I cannot do anything inside that frame, any click on any place immediately close that frame.

I've try to uninstall the Add-on and re-install, close Firefox and re-open, uninstall Firefox and re-install, or restart the system, but nothing change.

Any suggestion is welcome.

I have same problem. Windows 7 (64 bit) and Firefox 26.0 Eng.

I am also having the same trouble with win 7 64bit, firefox 26, eng. Other extensions include lastpass, youtube hd. =( pls fix soon!

I am unable to click on the clipper, it would just simply disapear as soon as I try to click on the box.

I've got exactly the same problem using Windows 7 (64 bit) plus Firefox 26.00 and the latest version of Evernote Web Clipper.  See the attached screen shot. I get an incomplete, greyed-out out window, and that's all. Nothing else about the Clipper works.

Have uninstalled and re-installed without success.

Clipper works fine on Chrome but I much prefer to use Firefox.

There's clearly a problem that Evernote needs to fix!

post-168249-0-92419700-1386770705_thumb.

Thanks for reporting this, we have trouble reproducing it but are working on it. 

1) If you see this problem please visit the Web Clipper's Options page and at the bottom there is a 'Collect support information' button. Please click that and either submit a support ticket or send the logs to me in a private message. 

2) Another possible workaround would be to make a manual re-install by completing these steps:

1. Type about:support in address bar
2. Click "Show Folder" button in Profile Folder row
3. Navigate to "extensions" directory
4. Close Firefox
5. Remove "{E0B8C461-F8FB-49b4-8373-FE32E9252800}" directory

After that please restart FF then install the latest version from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/

Let me know if this helps. 

Thanks for reporting this, we have trouble reproducing it but are working on it. 

1) If you see this problem please visit the Web Clipper's Options page and at the bottom there is a 'Collect support information' button. Please click that and either submit a support ticket or send the logs to me in a private message. 

2) Another possible workaround would be to make a manual re-install by completing these steps:

4. Close Firefox

After that please restart FF then install the latest version from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I've tried the steps above and now am not able to sign in at all. Screenshot can be found here.

I've also tried disabling all other extensions except for evernote with no success.

At first I was getting the same kind of errors as above members. It seemed as though their were something wrong with the css layout of everything.

Where do we find log files ?

Found a temporary method to work around this issue.

After click on the WebClipper button, I can use "Tab" to move cursor (typing point) inside that frame.  When reaching the space for tag (4 tabs if still log-in) or comment, press "Enter" will make the frame to be normal.

However, this is really annoying and takes a lot of time to get it done.

Correction: 5 tabs

I am having this same problem too...

Found a temporary method to work around this issue.

After click on the WebClipper button, I can use "Tab" to move cursor (typing point) inside that frame.  When reaching the space for tag (4 tabs if still log-in) or comment, press "Enter" will make the frame to be normal.

However, this is really annoying and takes a lot of time to get it done.

Ah, this is a good work around.

And from what it looks like to me, it's like a z-index issue... the window isn't grayed out as much as it's semi transparent. Once you tab around to it, it becomes 'in focus'? Does that make sense?

What's odd is if I highlight the title of this post. It works fine. If I highlight the content of someone's reply, it doesn't work.

Hi all, seems like the fix version didn't catch all instances of the problem. We'll keep working on it. 

spg SCOTT had some good ideas / temp workarounds:

- You may want to consider change setting to clip directly to the desktop version if you can, since that does appear to work. Less ideal, but it means it could still be used until fixed.
- It seems that forcing the window to update can sort of redraw the window, allowing you to use it.

Logging in: Hit enter so that the clipper tells you that it failed. It will show the username and password fields.

Clipping:
Press the clipper button
Press Tab five times (so that the cursor is in the Tag field, this is the first field that worked for me)
Press Enter
Clipper is "refreshed" allowing for normal use.

Hi.  Reporting same issue Chenzo, exact same screens after updating FF to 26.0, rebooting etc.. 

However, after being frustrated with it not working, I removed the Webclipper, restarted FF, then reinstall the Webclipper plugin and now, well it says it is it is installed but there's no icon in the toolbar anymore. 

Thanks. 

Hi.  Reporting same issue Chenzo, exact same screens after updating FF to 26.0, rebooting etc.. 

However, after being frustrated with it not working, I removed the Webclipper, restarted FF, then reinstall the Webclipper plugin and now, well it says it is it is installed but there's no icon in the toolbar anymore. 

Thanks. 

I had a similar issue when I was upgrading to the beta version of the button and I had to go make sure that I re-enabled the plug-in. Have you checked to amke sure that it is still enabled?

Thanks. 

I had a similar issue when I was upgrading to the beta version of the button and I had to go make sure that I re-enabled the plug-in. Have you checked to amke sure that it is still enabled?

Yes.  It is enabled, still not  back on the toolbar.   

I am having the same issue using Firefox 26, Windows 8.1, I tried both Evernote 5.9 clipper and the updated test version and neither worked. The tab trick that someone suggested did not work in my case. I made the mistake of logging out of Evernote, and even though I logged back in through the web, the web clipper does not acknowledge my log in. (Or does not display the option to log in.) Saving to the desktop application does work. I belive the problem started one or two days ago and I am not aware of making any changes to my system then.

I am also having this issue -- I have an empty box when I click on web clipper. Basically renders Evernote useless to me since this is the main thing I use it for (to  clip/save/organize data). I am using Firefox. Tried to reinstall the add on  but no help. I am not techie so I can't really provide any additional info. Would really really love a fix for this!

This works. But PLEASE fix this plugin.   BTW, Evernote is accumulating negative reviews at addons.firefox.com because this is broken.

--------------------

by ilya_piankov

To anyone who has this bug, there is a simple solution I found out!!!!!
If you click the TAB button "7" times (NOT LESS), the window shows up correctly without the transparency, and you can work with it without any problem.
Enjoy!!! =]

Thanks. 

Yes.  It is enabled, still not  back on the toolbar.   

You need to edit your toolbar and add it back in there. I had the same problem. Right click on the toolbar and click on customize. Then in the popup that shows up find the evernote webclipper and drag it to where you want it.

This works. But PLEASE fix this plugin.   BTW, Evernote is accumulating negative reviews at addons.firefox.com because this is broken.

--------------------

by ilya_piankov

To anyone who has this bug, there is a simple solution I found out!!!!!

If you click the TAB button "7" times (NOT LESS), the window shows up correctly without the transparency, and you can work with it without any problem.

Enjoy!!! =]

Sadly didn't work for me : (

Other ideas welcome!

*To use this beta version: Windows*
1) Disable your existing Firefox Web Clipper version <- HOW?
2) Open new firefox tab
3) Open finder window with location of xpi file and drag and drop this onto
any open Firefox window. <- I don't understand what this means.
This installs it.

Hi all,

We have a 2nd attempt at a fix for the distorted popup UI problems. Please install this build and let us know if it works for you:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/c5e4f53e-8dac-4caf-a18c-6721d71eb3df/740d996fc41c7565b96af7295b1e85e4

This one works for me.

However, I think that there is still some problem not fully solved, cause everytime when I click on the WebClipper icon, the screen flashes a bit, which never happened before.

Still, I want to say thank you for your fast fix.

I would also like more detailed instructions for Windows.

2) Open new firefox tab
This installs it.

After 3 months of Firefox 26 in the Aurora, Beta and Stable channel this bug has finally been fixed.

Imho this took way too long and more and more I have the feeling that Firefox isn't that important for the Evernote developers like Safari or Chrome. I get it that we are the last onces who get new features (IF we get them) but in the future please try to maintain compatibility with Firefox even before new changes hit the stable channel.

I would also like more detailed instructions for Windows.

2) Open new firefox tab

This installs it.

Guys, the instructions on how to do this are on the page where you download the beta version of the clipper: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/c5e4f53e-8dac-4caf-a18c-6721d71eb3df/740d996fc41c7565b96af7295b1e85e4

After 3 months of Firefox 26 in the Aurora, Beta and Stable channel this bug has finally been fixed.

Imho this took way too long and more and more I have the feeling that Firefox isn't that important for the Evernote developers like Safari or Chrome. I get it that we are the last onces who get new features (IF we get them) but in the future please try to maintain compatibility with Firefox even before new changes hit the stable channel.

I kind of feel like this too. I understand that developing for Mac and iOS makes things easy but as a Windows user who prefers Firefox I do feel like a second class citizen when it comes to Evernote products. And I even pay for premium and have to wiat months to get the new features that have been on Mac or Chrome for a while. Heck, I'm still waiting for PDF markup to come to Skitch for Windows and it's pretty much already come and gone on iOS. (I know it's back now but that's more of a "kind of" back and not really back).

Thank you, that works for me. The instructions on the page, however, should probably read uninstall existing version of web clipper rather than disable, because when I disabled and installed on top it didn't work. I had to uninstall and reinstall.

4. Close Firefox

I was having the same problem, and this worked for me.  Thanks!

Archived