(Archived) Thumbnail Shape..

Hello,

I like attaching one image per note, and was happy to find that Evernote neatly clips the image to a square and attaches it to each note title - which looks neat and is very functional!

Now, I started a new stack for another category, and I was surprised to see the images attached to notes in this particular stack, are shown at random shapes beside the titles, which looks quite disorderly. I thought maybe there is a Thumbnail Style setting if I right-click a stack, but no such luck. So what went wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help - please see screen shots attached..

PS: Please note, none of the pictures are square by default in either stack.

post-75725-0-43291400-1383596712_thumb.j

post-75725-0-42301700-1383596771_thumb.j

• Level 5*

Sorry but it's not a bug,  it's a feature - thumbnails aren't required to be square,  and Evernote has some picture-fu by which the choice (if there's more than one) and the zoom of the image is calculated.  It's not user-selectable however.  It's meant (I assume) as a memory aid,  not a display feature.

Thanks for your quick reply! I understand that the style it is not user-selectable, but I am puzzled by the fact that in one stack the thumbnails are automatically all zoomed in, and beautifully standardized to square, and in another stack they are not - as you can see the obvious difference in the screenshots. It seems as if another programming rule is applied to the new stack.

There must a be a reason for that.. I know that it's just an aesthetic thing - but it really bothers me, and I'm sure Evernote meant for the thumbnails to have uniformity across the interface.

Hmm... There are no coincidences in programming, since coding determines exactly what happens on the screen. Yes - the first stack was created a few months earlier, but I'm not sure why that would change the design elements..

Thanks for your input either way, I do appreciate it - perhaps an Evernote staff member will "take note"..   :)

• Level 5*

Hmm... There are no coincidences in programming, since coding determines exactly what happens on the screen. Yes - the first stack was created a few months earlier, but I'm not sure why that would change the design elements..

Oh, there are plenty of coincidences in programming, trust me.

Anyways, if they changed their thumbnail algorithm, and also had a policy whereby old thumbnails are not regenerated by that algorithm, then you could see what you're seeing.

Thanks for your input either way, I do appreciate it - perhaps an Evernote staff member will "take note"..   :)

If you want an answer from Evernote, you could always open a support request.
  • Level 5*

I seem to remember in Evernote 'debug' mode - isn't there an option to regenerate thumbnails? - I'm not necessarily suggesting that in this case - they might all turn out irregular!

• Level 5*

As it happens, I have a mix of thumbnail sizes too. Can't discern any patterns as yet, but I really really doubt that it's related to stacks -- that'd be easy enough for BelleDiamond to test...

Archived