(Archived) Scansnap S1500 Scan to Evernote (Document)

lmrapp

Samsung Laptop running Windows 8.1, Scansnap S1500, Scan to Evernote (Document). Latest version of Evernote.

I used to scan stuff to Evernote using scan to Evernote (Document).  I would open Evernote, pick the notebook I wanted the thing in and then scan the document.  I'd get a dialog connecting to Evernote, then converting the document, then it would be placed in the folder.  All of a sudden, that doesn't work anymore.  Instead I get the file dialog.  It _may_ correspond to converting Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.  Anyone know what to do?  Naturally the problem occurs on a weekend.  A kluge might be to scan to email, use the upload address, then move to the appropriate folder in Evernote, but I'm not sure if the conversion to searchable pdf occurs.  

Evernote Import Folders?  I don't know anything about that, but before I do, can you tell me if the files are made into searchable pdfs?  Also, can you have different folders for different notebooks?  Thanks.

--

Larry

• Level 5*

Assuming you're using the desktop version  of W8 Evernote,  check out Tools from the top menu bar and Import Folders.  You can specify one or more folders each linked to an Evernote Notebook - different ones if you wish.  I strongly recommend scanning to another folder from ScanSnap and manually,  or via a file manager like Belvedere,  moving your files into the import folder(s).  Any files in there will be sucked into the appropriate Evernote notebook.  If you leave Evernote to OCR the files (and they meet the requirements in size and pages that Evernote sets) you'll have a searchable PDF.  

If you have a ScanSnap however you have the ability to generate your own searchable files,  and I strongly recommend that you do it - at least you know all your files are searchable from day one.

Well, that seems to be the problem.  I have Evernote Premium and a ScanSnap S1500.  It _USED_ to be able to scan directly to notebooks using Scan to Evernote (Document).  When I got home, that stopped working - now I get the Scan to File dialog instead.  What happened?  I don't know, but I think it was the updating from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 as I did that while I was away.  I'd just like to fix this assuming there is a fix.  If nothing else, I guess I can call Evernote on Monday, but I have a ton of docs to scan and I'd love to get it done this weekend.  Btw, I found "Import Folders" and I guess it will work.  Thanks.

--

Larry

• Level 5*

If it was the upgrade to 8.1 it might have derailed ScanSnap,  not Evernote - you may need a new driver;  it may take a little while to find an answer.  Meantime I can't even upgrade from 8 to 8.1!

I got it working by removing and then reinstalling scansnap manager.  I had to remove the organizer before I could uninstall the manager.  Then, I had to install as an administrator.  I then upgraded it, but I'll call Fujitsu tomorrow and see what they say.  Word of warning: be sure you have a fast connection when you upgrade windows.  It's HUGE. I had to try several times and was only successful when I did it in Concord, NH where I have a decent connection.  I failed here in Colebrook, NH where my connection is pretty awful.

--

Larry

Archived