Scrollbars unusable in Ink Notes and touch displays

I use Evernote on a Surface Pro 2, which has a Wacom stylus (not capacitive). I can write into the desktop app using an Ink Note. It's great! Only scrolling is basically impossible in this mode. The scroll bars have been made far too narrow to get a finger on, and swiping in the note draws a line. The only real way to scroll is to use the stylus itself as a mouse, which is still quite difficult, or to use a mouse scrolling capability. Any chance of a fix here? I don't suppose it's possible to have it write only with the stylus and recognize the finger as scrolling, is there?

Win 8.1, Evernote 5.0.3.1614

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm using a Dell Venue 8 Pro with 8" touch screen. The scrollbars are a real pain with Evernote Desktop in Windows 8.1. Scroll bars in web browsers like Firefox or IE or Tweetdeck are very very smooth even though these are all desktop software. I wonder why Evernote Desktop can't scroll as smooth as them.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no reply to this from EN. Has anybody tried MS's Onenote on the Surface Pro as an alternative to EN? Since this is the main way I use it, I could just drop EN premium and go with Onenote for awhile. Not preferred, but this issue is both 1. pretty irritating and 2. seems to accomplish nothing other than aesthetics. Even scrolling with a mouse pointer isn't a picnic.

• 2 months later...

Yup I agree... using my Surface Pro 2 it's VERY fiddly - almost to the point of being impossible to navigate through notes with the scrollbars the way they are in the desktop version (havent explored the Evernote touch app all that much yet as functionality seems to be just too limited in its current form). Its frustrating that the gesture of scrolling through the note list is perfect and you'd wonder why it couldnt work the same inside the note content itself (rather than acting as a "clicked mouse" by highlighting text / content but not moving through it).

For that reason I find myself using OneNote more as the actual note taking app on the device as its much more fluid, particularly on the run and when Im using the device as a tablet (i.e. without Type Cove Keyboard)... However I do then end up copy pasting across into Evernote once Im done so I can leverage EN's benefits of being on all my devices etc.

Really hoping / trusting that the windows team will be working on this for a future release.  

Still no reply to this from EN. Has anybody tried MS's Onenote on the Surface Pro as an alternative to EN? Since this is the main way I use it, I could just drop EN premium and go with Onenote for awhile. Not preferred, but this issue is both 1. pretty irritating and 2. seems to accomplish nothing other than aesthetics. Even scrolling with a mouse pointer isn't a picnic.

I am also very disappointed that Evernote still does not support basic touch functionality (such as scroll) on Win 8 and meanwhile Evernote Touch is seriously in lack of features. I am also re-thinking my premium membership as I have shifted much of my work to OneNote.

• 5 months later...

A year has gone by since the first post and still no change. Using Evernote on my new Surface 3 Pro is painful, swiping in the Notes column works but not in the Notebooks column, it just moves my notebook. Trying to control the scrollbar with the stylus is difficult and inaccurate. I have changed to using OneNote as my day-to-day notetaking application and Evernote for storage, but it's still not satisfactory as I have so much in Evernote already.

Yes. It also isn't very helpful that a fair fraction of the time I try to import Onenote notes into Evernote, it crashes the program. I reported it as a bug 6 months ago, and a fix is not forthcoming.

Safe to say that EN doesn't appear (to my eyes) to care much about pen-device users.

• 2 months later...

I too am very frustrated with the inability to use Evernote with handwriting and scrolling on my Venue 8. I love Evernote and one reason I use it and purchased this tablet is to take notes, by hand and not use paper. I guess I will need to stat with OneNote. I'm very disappointed.

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem with my surface 3.   I can swipe up and down in the notes list to see the notes, but swiping with my finger in a note just seems to highlight text in the note and not scroll the note.   This is very inconsistent with other apps.   It's frustrating as I have to try to manipulate the tiny scroll bar on the right to scroll the note instead

Is there a way to change this behavior?

Thanks

Archived