Dark Theme/Dark Mode

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Level 5*

Wow - impressive number of votes.  Sadly Evernote won't actually confirm they developed a Dark Mode until it hits the Beta users,  and they very very rarely comment on whether or not they intend to adopt a feature.  All we can do is wait...

• 2 weeks later...

It's kind of mind boggling this isn't a feature still. It's not like there is a ton of UI in this product, so skinning it shouldn't be a huge effort. 

I've been using Alternote in the meantime as it is integrates with Evernote and does have a dark theme. Unfortunately it does have a few annoying bugs, so it would be great to see this feature in the original product.

11 hours ago, John Livingston said:

It's kind of mind boggling this isn't a feature still. It's not like there is a ton of UI in this product, so skinning it shouldn't be a huge effort. 

I've been using Alternote in the meantime as it is integrates with Evernote and does have a dark theme. Unfortunately it does have a few annoying bugs, so it would be great to see this feature in the original product.

Sooo I just got the Alternote trial. SO much easier on the eyes! Only issue is the lack of quick formatting bar like Evernote has. Is this an option I'm missing somewhere? Preferences screen seems lacking.

13 hours ago, ColinScatt said:

Sooo I just got the Alternote trial. SO much easier on the eyes! Only issue is the lack of quick formatting bar like Evernote has. Is this an option I'm missing somewhere? Preferences screen seems lacking.

Yeah, it is definitely not a replacement for Evernote and may be missing some of the features. If you highlight something, you should get something like the following, at least on MacOS. You can also use MarkDown code and it will auto format.

2017-05-25 07.33.52.png

Nowadays it's pretty normal for reading apps to have three options for the background colour: white, sepia and dark.
During the day the white theme is really good, but when I read at night I would like a dark theme, because it's better for my eyes. :)

I will not be renewing my subscription either. I would like to go back to an earlier release when presentation mode was available. that was the way I used to get the black background but they also took presentation mode away

I had been using RobertJSawyer's wonderful trick to change the background color.  Now it no longer works (before that I used the trick of editing the html, but that disappeared, too)..  I used Windows Restore to roll back to an old version of EN.  I don't know what to do.  I'm completely dependent on EN, but I *cannot* look at bright-white images all day.  Please, please, fix this.  It can't be that hard.

Ideally, we should be able to change background colors arbitrarily.  The human brain is well tuned to color.  I'll bet most EN engineers use color syntax highlighting for their code.  That's because the brain cues on color.  A yellow note would mean one thing, a blue one another.  Without conscious thought.  Wouldn't it be wunnerful.

But I can live without that.  Just give me some usable alternative to blinding white!!!

PLEASE!

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, prz said:

I had been using RobertJSawyer's wonderful trick to change the background color.  Now it no longer works (before that I used the trick of editing the html, but that disappeared, too)..  I used Windows Restore to roll back to an old version of EN.  I don't know what to do.  I'm completely dependent on EN, but I *cannot* look at bright-white images all day.

How about exporting the note to enex, editing with a text editor, then importing

You could also look at the most recent Windows release.  I understand it provides colour options

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, prz said:

I used the trick of editing the html, but that disappeared, too)

On occasion I use a tool called KompoZer to modify the HTML, less friendly now with 6.6.2.  However, the background color change still works and is fairly easy.  Export note to HTML, open in KompoZer, Ctrl-A the note body, change background color, save, drag back into EN.  It is a note by note basis though.  

I'm sure there may be better tools for the task, but I was looking for something simple for a limited set of changes.  FWIW.

19 hours ago, csihilling said:

On occasion I use a tool called KompoZer to modify the HTML, less friendly now with 6.6.2.  However, the background color change still works and is fairly easy.  Export note to HTML, open in KompoZer, Ctrl-A the note body, change background color, save, drag back into EN.  It is a note by note basis though.  

I'm sure there may be better tools for the task, but I was looking for something simple for a limited set of changes.  FWIW.

I exported a note, changed the background color like this: 

body {
	  background-color: lightgray;
    }

Opened it in a web browser and background was gray, then dragged it into EN and the background is pure white.

Bye Bye Evernote! I loved evernote, but there is no more dark mode so I had to find an alternative. I found "Bear" app its a much simpler app and has a dark mode option. I dont like to change apps usually, but with evernote it was easier since the only theme they have is white.

• Level 5*
On 2017-06-05 at 7:00 AM, golimar said:

I exported a note, changed the background color like this: 

body {
	  background-color: lightgray;
    }

Opened it in a web browser and background was gray, then dragged it into EN and the background is pure white.

I like a colour background, and I've had success with modifying the underlying html in notes

Be aware that Evernote doesn't support the full set of html elements; for more details see https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php

My solution was to enclose my notes in a table (Mac).  This gave a two column format, with colour background
An example of the code is   My Notes.enex

• <table style="border-collapse: collapse; margin-left: 0px; table-layout: fixed; width: 100%;">
    <tbody>
  • <tr><td style="border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); padding: 10px; margin: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 239, 185); width: 71.61290322580646%;"><div><br/></div><div><br/></div><div><br/></div><div><br/></div><div><br/></div></td>
  • <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); padding: 10px; margin: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 239, 185); width: 28.279569892473116%;"><div><br/></div></td></tr></tbody></table>
On 10/31/2013 at 7:16 AM, TechBarber said:

Whenever there is an option to go "dark", I turn it off. Reader apps, stock apps etc...doesn't matter. 

Black backgrounds make my eyes go wonky  :wacko:

Not trying to start a flame war - just wondering what the perceived advantages of going dark are? 

I mean, paper is white. Can you imagine if the world used black paper with white pen? Ewe

Well, for me as a "vampire" :), black in "excess" is highly preferable.  I already use screens too much for work and then "play" at home.

White is just too bright for my eyes subjectively so even a sepia/green tone like Kindle offers would be a welcome addition!

I've just now come back to Evernote from 2013...and how is there no proper dark theme??  It's obviously going to be optional.

Devs, please don't forget us, Google also tends to ignore dark theme requests too (though finally they added it to YouTube recently).

• Level 5*

Wow 94 votes so far - anyone interested that hasn't voted,  how about getting this over 100?  (Up button,  top left of the page!)

I did notice in a recent Windows beta that either Gallery or Presentation mode had a 'dark' option,  but I can't find that now in my current version.  If I didn't imagine it,  maybe that means the Powers That Be are moving towards a solution.  Maybe...

I'll add my name to the list of people who can't believe that Evernote hasn't provided a dark mode, let alone themes, despite years of requests. I'm putting my money where my mouth is and ending my premium subscription. Bear and Ulysses both have dark modes. Several of them in fact. Such an easy feature to implement. I spend a lot of time writing and I can't stand black text on a white background. You guys have had years to do this. Too late now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that Boostnote is absolutely great, but it's not directly comparable to Evernote since it has no synchronization capabilities nor iOS applications. :( 

It's a fantastic alternative for very simple needs though.

Oh wow! Thanks for the Boostnote reference. I'm trying it out now and it's great for my code snippet needs! It doesn't replace Evernote (because I wasn't using Evernote for code snippets) but it's a fantastic adjunct and replaces a bunch of text files. 

No mobile is no biggie because I don't code on mobile. And I'm storing the files on Dropbox, so it ought to sync between machines. (Will know more next week when I try it on my other machine.)

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Doff said:

Check out Boostnote - have multiple themes, including a dark one.

I like using alternate editors with Evernote but there's a huge choice.
Why Boostnote over any of the other editors that also offer Dark Mode?

The notes in Boostnote seem to be embedded in an internal database.  I'm not seeing a separate note file that I can use

The web page lists these features

• Desktop app (Mac, Windows, Linux)
  • No Internet Required
  • Finder Popup(Quick search and copy/paste)
  • Latex Support
  • Multiple Hotkeys
  • Markdown/Snippet Note
On 08/07/2017 at 0:33 AM, morphine said:

I think that Boostnote is absolutely great, but it's not directly comparable to Evernote since it has no synchronization capabilities nor iOS applications. :( 

No iOS and no Android is the biggest concern - true. I think the request is there, but the project is 6 month old and in that time a lot has been achieved! I am sure mobile will come too.

As for sync - just create your folders in Dropbox and here you go - sync is there.

For my purposes it is even better - I can control as to what sharing service I use (and I use also a private one, super encrypted, yada yada yada).

On 08/07/2017 at 2:38 AM, DTLow said:

The notes in Boostnote seem to be embedded in an internal database.  I'm not seeing a separate note file that I can use

Yes and no.

Internal database is a set of JSON files (check in Menu -> Storages).

You can have multiple storages, and multiple files. All human readable. Can be put anywhere.

I've been using Boostnote for a couple of weeks now, synced across two machines via Dropbox, with no problems.

Not a replacement for EN for most people I'd think, as it's very plain-text based. So not inter-note linking, no font resizing/coloring/bolding, etc., no tables, no embedded images, etc. 

But for code snippets or other plain text notes it's pretty good!

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Blork said:

I've been using Boostnote for a couple of weeks now, synced across two machines via Dropbox, with no problems.

I don’t know about the others, but my intent is to add Dark mode to Evernote and the editor.  I don’t want to switch to any other filing tool like Dropbox

On 5/28/2016 at 6:07 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

To help clarify the request for the Evernote developers, when you say you want Dark Mode, are you asking for the editor to be inverted too so the note is black and text white or just the rest of the UX beyond just the sidebar?

I'd like the editor to be inverted - black background and white text. In an ideal world I would be able to set the note background to any colour in the full spectrum. Imo this is a really important issue not just from the perspective of personal colour preference / burnout looking at a white screen, but also accessibility and usability of Evernote for those (like myself) with learning difficulties that make reading black text on a white background quite difficult.

I can suggest you the following solution for a dark theme when using Evernote from a Web browser. There is a "theme manager" called Stylish, which provides a way to install themes for different websites (not just Evernote, so you can use it for other "white" sites).

Steps for installation:

1. Install Stylish:
- for Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylish-custom-themes-for/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe?hl=en
- for Mozilla Firefox - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/
2.Install a dark theme:
- a dark theme for all web sites - https://userstyles.org/styles/47391/midnight-surfing-alternative
- dark themes for Evernote:
    1. https://userstyles.org/styles/113637/evernote-dark-theme
    2. https://userstyles.org/styles/114069/dark-evernote

ALTERNATIVES TO EVERNOTE LETS FIND THEM TOGETHER

I've been using evernote for A BETTER PART OF A DECADE now, i use it everyday. It helps me keep track of all of my work and research. I'm often up late at night using it on several monitors and i could really use a dark skin. This is my second time posting this here.... Came back after a few years to mention it again.... Maybe i should say this in large print. 

ORIGNAL POST WAS 4 YEARS AGO, AND STILL NO DARK SKIN ?

Really guys.... how is this taking so long? I'm flabbergasted with this corporation now. I've been receiving this email from this particular thread for years. How can the team not notice? This corrupt corporation is so out of touch...

I'm starting to lose faith in this software package altogether. I think I'm going to exlore alternatives now. Pencils down, time's up for the greedy evernote failure team.

Here's a list of alternatives to EVERNOTE:

Trello

TaskWorld

Tag Spaces

turtl

workflowy 

quip

process street

OneNote

Tyto

I could go on, but i have work to do... and i just can't take "evenote" with me anymore.

The reality of it is that Evernote is just out of date. There are better ways to manage the data in your life. I think it's time for all of us to take the next step on that journey... away from evernote. 

"It’s about time we ditched the hype and take control of our data. There is life after Evernote. There are many available alternatives, that offer different approaches, all catering for different needs. Whether you are after the super-simple, or the super-customisable, the tech giant’s cloud service or the totally independent, fully privacy-conscious off-line solution, there are choices that allow you to avoid being extorted, and continue being just as productive, as you have always been." - Lets face it team, ya blew it. It's time to lose customers now.

• Level 5*
On 23/07/2017 at 7:27 PM, Ygee said:

Hi, as I searched the forum this feature is one of the most requested feature for Evernote, so I'm bring it back up. Why is this not yet implemented?

It's been said several times already,  but with a thousand 'essential' fixes and tweaks in various operating systems,  Evernote has to prioritize work.  Their product,  their timescale

They're not obliged to apologise or explain their actions,  and generally choose not to do so...

I'm very sympathetic to andredoumad's point of view; this is absolutely insane.

However, there MIGHT be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

If you access the "secret" help menu in the Windows desktop client by holding down the CTRL key while selecting the Help pulldown menu, you'll notice a new choice at the very bottom:  "Export Themes definition file."

If you select that, Evernote will indeed export a file named Themes.xml.  You're not prompted for a save location, but in my case, it ended up on my Windows desktop.  And if you look at this file (any text editor will do), you'll see that it has the theme definitions for the two themes currently set in Options | General | User Interface | Left panel theme.

Yes, currently the definition file only lists the left-panel themes, but what's fascinating is this:

By default, there is no Themes.xml file anywhere in your Evernote installation folder or its subfolders, but, if, after editing the exported Themes.xml file, you then move or copy it to the main Evernote program directory (perhaps C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote), henceforth Evernote will use the values defined in Themes.xml.

An easy test: simply edit Themes.xml file to change this:

<DisplayName lang="en">Light</DisplayName>

To this:

<DisplayName lang="en">This Sucks!</DisplayName>

Close, and relaunch Evernote, and you'll see the drop down menu choices at Options | General | User Interface | Left panel theme are now "Default (dark)" and "This Sucks!"

I spent some time yesterday trying to add theme values for the note background (adding XML for elements called "note," "notes," and "en-note") but none of them worked. But clearly the infrastructure is in place for user-defined theming. 

Note if you make a mistake in the XML so the file is invalid, you don't get an error message, but Evernote simply defaults to the built-in theme values (which are stored as plain text in Evernote.exe).

After four years of being ignored by Evernote on this simple issue, I don't want to get my hopes up too high yet, but, as I said, there's a glimmer here.

All best wishes.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, John Livingston said:

Sigh...time to unsubscribe to this thread as this feature will clearly not be added anytime soon.

It could be part of the next release (although it's not in any current beta) it'll happen when it happens. ;)

Just to add a bit to the Stylish solution for web version.

Couple of months ago I found these extensions restyling all web to dark.

They do it quite well, are easy to disable per site, and I completely switched to them from separate Stylish themes:

Chrome: Dark Reader https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh
Firefox: Dark Background and Light Text https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/addon/dark-background-light-text/
   Firefox - Custom colors to make it more like IDEA, my favorite IDE:
    * foreground #A9B7C6
    * background #2B2B2B
    * link color: #D9C077
    * visited link #D9C077
    * selection color #214283

Although, I think that's not a solution for Evernote, as the web version is way slower and harder to use than desktop one.

Sergey Voronov, thank you, thank you, thank you!  Dark Reader, which you recommended is fantastic; I'd tried a lot of night-mode / dark-them Chrome extensions, but none had the flexibility of this one.  I'm very pleased.

In Chrome, I've paired it with this theme: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/material-theme/mdnphgdednjnpcoeamekbogoblkdajep

I agree with you that this isn't a complete solution for Evernote, as the web interface is not as feature-rich or fast as the desktop client, but, nonetheless, you've made my day!

All best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, camerajunkie said:

Please please please please give us a dark theme for notes themselves and not just the dang sidebar. I too am a developer and use Evernote paid day-in and day-out

I'm with you. Except now that my subscription ran out, I'm not paying any more until they finally acknowledge that we've been asking about this for literally YEARS now. Who would have thought any company could so totally ignore it's user-base.?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bkriesel said:

How do I upvote this?  So want this feature.

Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion   599af35869c82_ScreenShot2017-08-21at07_50_07.png.1994dbccc4dff986370bb3d5c479f242.png

This has been a request to Evernote for about 3 years. We are not asking to have a black background for everybody only for those who choose to use it. If any thing they should have the option of a dark note background with the white header

I managed to create a pseudo dark mode for Evernote on Mac (but only using a web browser, namely Opera.) This of course is not a permanent solution but it helps me type notes out at night although I use dark mode everywhere since my eyes can't handle bright white light for a long period of time.

I simply installed Opera, and this Dark Mode add-on then wrote my notes on the web version of Evernote. The results were good. The Night Mode extension is also available on Chrome but I am not sure if it works properly.

There are a few drawbacks, namely some visual glitches and the fact that notes created will have a dark text background on the Mac and mobile Evernote versions, but I can live with that. 

I really hope they add Dark Mode to Evernote, as someone else stated, this single feature would make me a Premium user again for sure. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 11.33.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 11.33.21 AM.png

As much as I'd like to stick with Evernote, they are slow to listen and respond to customers' concerns, so I already gave up on them. I'm just now waiting for my pro annual subscription to expire, while I'm slowly transitioning my notes to Bear Writer, which provides dark mode and beautifully formatted text already. Great job Evernote, been with you several years and yet have not seen the significant improvements in your apps given your pricing and scale.

I am currently checking on Evernote as an alternative to Onenote and it has to be said, that the dark theme is probably the only thing missing. The problem for me is the inability to actually read articles in evernote, it just hurts my eyes. And seeing that this topic has been going on for 3 years, I am extremely disappointed with developers. 

• 2 weeks later...

+++++++++

There isn't a number for how many upvotes I would give this request on ANY piece of software. The option to change themes shouldn't even be in question.

Why isn't it already implemented?

There must be some reason that you developers have chosen to ignore 7 years of your customers telling you what they want.

I read page 1, and then page 19. Page 1 was from 2013 and somebody said the actual request was 3 year before that.

That is 7 years and there is still no option?

What is the point of a dark sidebar when the separate note window is still blindingly white?

Is it ever going to be implemented?

Every single one of my tools is in dark mode. I was going to add Evernote to my list but until there is a proper dark theme I'll have to go elsewhere.

P.S. My eyes are bleeding right now

It's been very difficult to gauge what the people at Evernote are even thinking. I think there has been a total of Zero response from them about this issue in all this time.  From time to time there is the response from some casual forum member who has jumped to a conclusion that we only want it to be completely dark ... even have to wonder at them, do they not use other modern software that has "Themes" and gives them choices.

With the amount of requests over the long period of time ~and no response at all.. I can only assume their thoughts are that we are to; "Use it the way we give it to you -- or don't use it -- We don't care"  I don't know what other conclusion it's possible to reach.  I've kept in the forum on the ever-decreasing hope that they'll actually decide to be responsive to customer requests. But, their software is gone from my systems and so is my financial support.

If they decide that their customers are of any value, I'll be happy to reconsider.

Evidently no one at Evernote has ever attempted to work on a document while flying transcontinental when the plane is darkened. Even lowering the brightness of my iPad doesn't help. And worse your seat mate complains about the brightness distracting them. I have given up and like others. I may go back to premium if Evernote gives us an option

Evernote as of late struggles to simply turn out a stable version of the Windows client.  Every time they update new features, like tables, some other basic function of text editing breaks.  It seems to me that the unicorn has died and we are dealing with the ashes.   Innovation has left the building.  Evernote is struggling to get basic features like tables and text editing working.  While other products support Markdown, dark themes, code block formatting, etc.  Evernote struggles to deliver the basics.  New products like Paper, Keep, Notion and Index are innovating and catching up.  The moment there is feature parity with another solution I'm moving.  

Even Microsoft has a dark theme for Office now.

On 10/31/2013 at 6:16 AM, TechBarber said:

Whenever there is an option to go "dark", I turn it off. Reader apps, stock apps etc...doesn't matter. 

Black backgrounds make my eyes go wonky  :wacko:

Not trying to start a flame war - just wondering what the perceived advantages of going dark are? 

I mean, paper is white. Can you imagine if the world used black paper with white pen? Ewe

One huge difference about your sheet of paper though, it only reflects light.. it doesn't emit it's own.. put it in dim light, it's not going to blind you.. take that screen though and place in a dark environment.. then you will immediately be able to tell the difference.  Some of us have limits on how much light you can throw in our eyes and not have us pay a price for trying to deal with it.. so, you're comparing that with something that is, to us, completely different.  Do you see a little better now.. another point of view & preference.?  I hope so. This same thing keeps popping up from the very beginning of this thread and it kind of surprises me that the most basic difference isn't glaringly obvious. *shrug

• 4 weeks later...

I always wonder what the point of Feature Request forums are when the developers don't take notice of people's requests. 

I mean seriously, if a suggestion with 254 Up votes gets rejected/ignored about a simple ability to change the background colour to black and the font colour to white, you may as well close the whole forum down. 

Got a survey last week about improving Evernote. It seemed more about pricing structure rather than any other functionality improvements. Of course I did respond to other improvements with "DARK THEME" - "DARK THEME" - "DARK THEME". I have given up hope that they will respond to any requests for a dark theme. Almost every other application seems to be heading that way (ie Microsoft Office) even Apple seems to at least looking that way with the new iPhone update but it too still needs improvement. While Evernote remains unresponsive.

On 9/27/2017 at 5:15 PM, Myrddin R Emrys said:

It's been very difficult to gauge what the people at Evernote are even thinking. I think there has been a total of Zero response from them about this issue in all this time.  From time to time there is the response from some casual forum member who has jumped to a conclusion that we only want it to be completely dark ... even have to wonder at them, do they not use other modern software that has "Themes" and gives them choices.

With the amount of requests over the long period of time ~and no response at all.. I can only assume their thoughts are that we are to; "Use it the way we give it to you -- or don't use it -- We don't care"  I don't know what other conclusion it's possible to reach.  I've kept in the forum on the ever-decreasing hope that they'll actually decide to be responsive to customer requests. But, their software is gone from my systems and so is my financial support.

If they decide that their customers are of any value, I'll be happy to reconsider.

Been a member since 2009. They don’t care. 

I think if anything it showcases a lack of ability. I'm sorry but It couldn't be that great a task, a simple alteration of a few colours, to be ignored for 4 years. 

Perhaps they've taken on new staff without the requirements of something like a uni degree.

The only other reason I can think of is budgetary concerns. But then, a happier user base brings greater profits so it's hard to see that being the main obstacle. 

Admit it developers, new or not, you don't have the skills and you don't know what you're doing. 

7 minutes ago, mtRoom said:

I'm sorry but It couldn't be that great a task, a simple alteration of a few colours, to be ignored for 6 years. 

I don't totally agree. I want this dark theme too, but it's not just a dark/black background for notes. I would be curious to know the percentage of people who only use Evernote to clip web pages. However, I think that's where the difficulty lies, not just for notes. If you look at the competition (OneNote) there is no dark theme either. If you register a web page, you can then change the page color AFTER (with more options for the UWP App than for the desktop version), but by default the page is white.

In my opinion, it's too complex, too many parameters and they don't want to get bored with it.

Well even just a dark theme for notes I'd be happy enough with myself and it's better than nothing at all. The lesser the task the more likely they'll be willing to take it on.board. And conversely, the greater the task, the less willing. 

28 minutes ago, mtRoom said:

Well even just a dark theme for notes I'd be happy enough with myself and it's better than nothing at all. The lesser the task the more likely they'll be willing to take it on.board. And conversely, the greater the task, the less willing. 

I'd be very surprised if it would be possible to do what you want to do: it would be like doing two applications in one, and since you're talking about ease, that's really not the case.

I don't think anyone's expecting a in-program theme to do anything to "clipped web pages" so, that should be a non-issue.

What I believe we're all desiring is the interface and work areas that we create in, texts, lists, reports, etc to be themed, not changing the colors of imported or other graphics.  Nobody's asking it to be a one-in-all converter of html, css, svg or whatever.. that would truly be on the insane side.

Just a dark theme, you know, like you can pick for overall use in Win10..., and a growing number of other apps daily.

3 minutes ago, Myrddin R Emrys said:

I don't think anyone's expecting a in-program theme to do anything to "clipped web pages" so, that should be a non-issue.

What I believe we're all desiring is the interface and work areas that we create in, texts, lists, reports, etc to be themed, not changing the colors of imported or other graphics.  Nobody's asking it to be a one-in-all converter of html, css, svg or whatever.. that would truly be on the insane side.

Just a dark theme, you know, like you can pick for overall use in Win10..., and a growing number of other apps daily.

Exactly.  This is not difficult from a programming point of view.  

In fact, even non-programmers such as myself can accomplish much of this; there's zero excuse for Evernote not getting this done:

46 minutes ago, Myrddin R Emrys said:

I don't think you understood what I meant. Evernote is not just an application of notes and that's where I think the problem lies. If it's so simple as to create an app like UWP in Windows 10 with a dark theme, it would have been done long ago, or no Evernote is versatile and it represents something else than changing the background color and the color of the font to go with it.
All the people I know around me basically use Evernote to back up web pages (otherwise, why do I need large data quotas for paying users? Certainly not to record three pdf's per month), and then I honestly don't know what it would do. I use the example of OneNote again, there is no dark theme , either in OneNote for Windows 10 or in the application of the Office suite. If that's the case, there is a good reason, it's not just Evernote. On the other hand, with OneNote, you can color the pages, which is not the case with Evernote, and that's what you need, not a theme, but to be able to color the pages as you want, which allows you to color save web pages, like created notes.

5 minutes ago, David_C. said:

I don't think you understood what I meant. Evernote is not just an application of notes and that's where I think the problem lies. If it's so simple as to create an app like UWP in Windows 10 with a dark theme, it would have been done long ago, or no Evernote is versatile and it represents something else than changing the background color and the color of the font to go with it.
All the people I know around me basically use Evernote to back up web pages (otherwise, why do I need large data quotas for paying users? Certainly not to record three pdf's per month), and then I honestly don't know what it would do. I use the example of OneNote again, there is no dark theme , either in OneNote for Windows 10 or in the application of the Office suite. If that's the case, there is a good reason, it's not just Evernote. On the other hand, with OneNote, you can color the pages, which is not the case with Evernote, and that's what you need, not a theme, but to be able to color the pages as you want, which allows you to color save web pages, like created notes.

So it would be a dark theme with ugly white-background clipped images in it. That's fine with us!

It can be left to the user to invert the color of any clipped images they put in there if they want to go to the trouble. We understand that asking Evernote to do that as a built-in feature would be difficult because of how bad a direct color inversion is likely to look so it'd be really hard to optimize. But at least give us the option to have a dark theme and let us deal with images. 

Has anyone ever tried personally messaging employees to see if they will respond? I've noticed there has been responses elsewhere in the past few months in security, and it seems ridiculous that a company can get away with such terrible community responses or lack of. I sent a PM to one of the employees asking this, and maybe some of you should too.

I submitted this support ticket (#2260013) just now:

Dark Theme request unanswered for four years now

It's been four years since 30 October 2013, when a request for a dark theme for the Windows client was posted on the Evernote discussion forum.  Four years, and 20 pages of comments supporting the request ... and not a peep out of Evernote.  Your paying customers -- and I am one -- deserve better than to be totally and completely ignored year after year after year after year.  See:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45681-dark-theme/ 

And I've tweeted to @Evernote, @EvernoteHelps, and to Evernote CEO @croneill:

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, RobertJSawyer said:

I submitted this support ticket just now:

I understand the request as posted here.  I don't understand why you would open a support ticket

Just now, DTLow said:

I understand the request as posted here.  I don't understand why you would open a support ticket

Well, my dear guru, if you go to Help and Learning | Submit a Request | What can we help you with? you'll see one option is: Technical Issues / Other / User Interface Issue.  And if a user-interface issue is severe enough that people are ceasing to be paying customers because of it or switching to a competing product (usually Microsoft's free OneNote), then support is warranted.

Another reason is so that no one at Evernote can say any longer, hey, we never saw the request -- four years on, and we never saw it.  It's LOGGED now; it has to be responded to.  And no one can say that we've been insufficiently patient before raising a support ticket: we've waited four years pursuing this issue through this channel, to absolutely no avail.

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-29 at 7:15 PM, RobertJSawyer said:

Well, my dear guru, if you go to Help and Learning | Submit a Request | What can we help you with? you'll see one option is: Technical Issues / Other / User Interface Issue.  And if a user-interface issue is severe enough that people are ceasing to be paying customers because of it or switching to a competing product (usually Microsoft's free OneNote), then support is warranted.

Another reason is so that no one at Evernote can say any longer, hey, we never saw the request -- four years on, and we never saw it.  It's LOGGED now; it has to be responded to.  And no one can say that we've been insufficiently patient before raising a support ticket: we've waited four years pursuing this issue through this channel, to absolutely no avail.

Well, my dear Noteworthy, I don't see Dark Theme as a technical issue, I see it as a feature request

For whatever reason, the development team has not implemented this feature; I can't see the support team changing that

I don't believe this request is being ignored; just that there are other priorities.  I can understand that and accept the reality

There is, as you surely know, at every software company, feedback FROM support TO the development team, and, as end users, with Evernote, as with most software companies, our only feedback mechanism is to support, not directly to the development team. Anyway, good night.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, RobertJSawyer said:

our only feedback mechanism is to support, not directly to the development team

Evernote set up these forums to obtain user feedback.  Obviously they take note of the posts; we can see the record in this discussion thread

Please stop wasting bandwidth, DTLow.  Obviously, the whole point is that this issue has been ignored or not seen for four years in this venue -- and your posts have NOTHING TO DO with the issue this thread is devoted to.

As far as your claim that "Evernote set up these forums to obtain user feedback," you yourself posted not six hours ago in another thread:

This is a user discussion forum. You can contact Evernote Support at Paid Accounts Contact Evernote Support All Accounts Twitter @evernotehelps

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, RobertJSawyer said:

As far as your claim that "Evernote set up these forums to obtain user feedback," you yourself posted not six hours ago in another thread:

Confirmed; in the Help Forum, assisting a user with a technical issue (table  column width) I provided the contact information for Support.  I  also include  the information below in my signature section. 

A reply to my tweet from Evernote CEO Chris O'Neill (screen capture attached): 

Working on it :-)

I'd tweeted:  "Come on, @croneill: 4 years today of your users begging for dark theme, and not a peep from you or your staff ever," with a link to this thread.

Now, let's see how long it takes him to deliver.

evernote-dark-theme.jpg

13 hours ago, RobertJSawyer said:

A reply to my tweet from Evernote CEO Chris O'Neill (screen capture attached): 

Working on it :-)

I'd tweeted:  "Come on, @croneill: 4 years today of your users begging for dark theme, and not a peep from you or your staff ever," with a link to this thread.

Now, let's see how long it takes him to deliver.

evernote-dark-theme.jpg

Great job and initiative.  Seems like progress.  Let’s hope it wasn’t just lip service.

On 8/21/2017 at 11:26 PM, Threefold57 said:

This has been a request to Evernote for about 3 years. We are not asking to have a black background for everybody only for those who choose to use it. If any thing they should have the option of a dark note background with the white header

And if I may add, I wouldn't even mind if the black theme is ugly. I know it's hard to produce a great-looking black theme. But it's so relaxing for the eyes that even when it's poorly done I find it a lot better than the bright theme.

Archived