(Archived) Evernote won't Sync 'problem at server'

BarneyL

Help! Please! I love Evernote, have gotten very used to always-synced notes across my work (Win 7) and home (Win 8 - but I use the desktop client) PCs and my Nook and my Android phone.

But now I'm getting that 'Sync failed due to unexpected problem at server side' note!

I have e-mailed support w/activity log, no answer yet. I also have done some forum searching and googling and .. some talk of uninstall-reinstall. (on 5 devices??? Gimme a break!)

PLEASE tell me there's something fairly simple I can do/check to get things syncing again... or I'm sunk!

PS: I can now say the Android phone and Nook apps, and the Web version appear to be syncing. Going to check work PC later, is this a good way to narrow down where the problem is? I figured if one wasn't syncing none are! If it's just to uninstall/reinstall ONE Windows client that's far less hassle!

• Level 5*

Hi - have they ALL stopped syncing?  Suggests you might have an odd (as in blocking) note somewhere.  Try emptying the trash in all your devices and switch all but one off at least, then try the sync...

Ah.  Just caught up with the last lines.  OK - so try the trash thing but an uninstall/ reinstall would probably be good.  There's a lot of information and advice about that in the forums...

Gazumped - as it turns out, I now believe only ONE has stopped syncing - my home PC. So if that continues, I'll probably uninstall client there, reinstall and pray. What would do that? It's the latest general release of the desktop client on an otherwise stable (knock on wood) Windows 8.1 laptop. (Yeah even that upgrade went OK;-) Thanks.

• Level 5*

I'm impressed - my upgrade to 8.1 hasn't 'synced' with Microsoft yet.  As to why your Evernote stopped - computers are sensitive souls,  prone to sudden afflictions after any change in their local situation;  after an upgrade to 8.1 and (presumably) 5.0.3 who knows what might have suddenly upset your machine's cyber stomach.  I suggest a Revo uninstall and reinstall to clear the decks and see whether that sorts things out.  Do your reading on that first though - we've covered it extensively in other posts.

Here's weird - what does it mean when you get the error message and it's still syncing the notes??? Is it a partial sync? How much should I even worry/care if I'm not losing anything and the 3 other devices I have also sync with no sign of error notes?

I had a feeling it was something simple, since it was syncing on 3 devices and almost-syncing on the one at home. So I deleted a shared notebook I'd added early on - the one for 'Evernote for Dummies' -- and ... voila, sync went fine! Who knows what that means. I may try adding a shared notebook down the road to see if it messes up again but ... whew! Thanks for the ear folks, and if trying that solves a similar issue for one other person. I'll be glad to have bugged y'all for a bit;-)

Archived