Can't switch between accounts

ksm68

Hi,

Since the latest Chrome/Evernote Web Clipper update (not sure after which it happened), I can no longer switch between accounts in the web clipper. When I go to the options, I no longer have that option and have to sign out of the account and sign back in to my other account, making it rather inefficient.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Well, that is truly an inconvenience as I constantly shuffle between my account and my boss'. It was certainly much easier than to have to log out and back in several times a day. Please consider reinstating it. Thank you.

It makes no sense to remove this feature when exactly the same feature is present (at least) on the Windows desktop client.  Being able to switch between two very complicated Evernote databases (work + personal) quickly is essential!  Please put it back in.

This is an important feature period.   I have two paid accounts for two different employers and one for personal use.    I constantly tell people about how great Evernote is, but this unnecessary change makes me question long term thinking at Evernote.     I think I should get rid of the extra paid accounts because of the depreciated feature which I find critical.   So I vote to bring it back regardless of it's popularity.    

For example, does this mean critical seldom used import export features of a spreadsheet be removed because they are not popular yet critical. 

Many features in software are not used because users are not aware that the feature exists, it's about user education.  

This is why developer conferences exist to inform developer/users of new features.

This multi account feature is more important than ever because people are using longer and more difficult passwords to log in light of the last 50 million user name password reset in March of this year and many other reasons.

Please put the multi account feature back.

Thank You

This is driving me crazy.  Each time I "switch accounts", I also have to re-enter my two-factor authentication.  Come on Evernote.. think this through.  Google supports multiple accounts beautifully.  Evernote introduced this feature on the Windows desktop, and then in the chrome extension and life was sweet.  Now this is a complete *****-up.  Please reconsider this change.  Are your product managers talking to each other?  This change really sucks puss!

Correct, that feature has been depreciated. We did not have much usage of it.

Holy Hell, are you FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!

The ability to switch accounts in the web clipper is absolutely critical to my company's productivity workflow. It makes absolutely no sense to deprecate (the word is "deprecate", btw...not "depreciate") this feature in the web clipper, when the same feature exists in the Desktop client.

The improvements to the new clipper are amazing and most welcome, but removing account switching is most definitely a regression, and I'm wondering just how you're determining that nobody actually used this feature, because I can't imagine that many "power users" of Evernote Premium––who are paying a "premium" to maintain separate Evernote accounts for both work and personal purposes––did not use this incredibly useful feature.

Did the Skitch acquisition team dictate this change?, because it is incredibly hostile to your users who are using Evernote to do real work, and not just clipping recipes off of the web.

Please consider bringing this feature back. 

Thanks for the feedback, we'll take bringing it back into consideration. 

Thanks jbignert,

The only reason that I purchased two separate Evernote Premium accounts for my work and personal use was because of the addition of account switching. Previously, I was using a single Premium account to juggle both work and personal stuff. Needless to say, this was a total nightmare. When you guys added  account switching, I was absolutely ecstatic, because it removed a major hurdle in making Evernote the foundation of my information & research workflow.

If account switching is not reinstated to the Clipper, I will probably end up canceling my 2nd paid Premium account and go back to suffering with the old way of doing things, in a single account. That would really stink, for hopefully obvious reasons.

What makes Evernote so great is that it is flexible enough to cater to all levels of users, from the simplest recipe-collection tasks, to complicated, intensive information gathering workflows. However, with the removal of account switching (and the rather cavalier public dismissal of its usefulness) It makes me incredibly nervous that Evernote is changing its focus to catering to novice users, at the expense of the very "power users" who are doing amazing things with your product, and whom you like to spotlight in your marketing materials. My snarky comment regarding Skitch wasn't 100% snark. The removal of this feature reminds me of the absolute trainwreck that you guys caused with the Skitch acquisition and the inexplicable removal of nearly every single feature that made Skitch such a great tool to begin with.

I just dont want this to happen to Evernote, because it is in my list of top 5 favorite apps that I use on my Mac every day, and it has revolutionized the way I do business. 

Thanks again for your consideraton.

• 1 month later...

My web clipper is signed in to a free account that I don't use. I have a premium account, but I can't even find anywhere to log out and log back into the account I actually use.  It looks like web clipper has some nice new features, but they're currently worthless to me.

• 2 months later...
Count me among the people who want this functionality. I just recently upgraded to two premium accounts in order to easliy switch between home and work accounts. As of March 2014, your web clipper page still says web clipper provides that functionality: http://evernote.com/webclipper/whats_new/

I'm disappointed that you've taken away this feature. May I ask what the development team gained by taking it away if you'd already implemented the code?

sRex4k1.png

• 2 months later...

I just bought a Premium account for professional reasons (I already have a Premium account for myself).

I was doing a Google search to know how I can switch from one account to the other when using Web Clipper, and found that it was there, ... and was no longer there!

This feature is certainly a must for the power users  working with 2 accounts. Not having this function, it is probably better to just work with one account, but I don't want to do that.

I'm quite concerned by the fact that the problem was reported a long time ago, in November 2013, and that 7 months later we still don't know if and when the feature will be back  (because it was there ?...) 

Please tell us what is going on.

Thanks

GH

I don't believe they will ever fix it.. we just get meaningless canned responses back.

Related.. I was on the road with my Windows laptop with my two premium accounts stored on it, but it would not let me switch accounts without an internet connection!  This left me in a massive pickle as I had no wifi.. despite having all the data on my laptop.  Evernote support just gives the usual canned responses, but won't fix this either.  Their claim about offline support is complete rubbish.

Count me in with the other irritated fans of this really important "depreciated" feature. The justification for its removal from the web clipper by Mr.jbignert rings very hollow, when Evernote made such a big deal about this feature when they added it to the Desktop app (see: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2012/08/02/evernote-for-mac-gets-account-switching-for-premium-accounts-and-more/), and the feature continues to exist in the Desktop app to this day.

I purchased multiple Premium accounts BECAUSE of the addition of account switching! In fact, the announcement in the aofrementioned blog link made the feature a selling point for Premium Accounts. 

I am going to have to agree with what the user "sits" believes: Evernote probably wont ever fix this problem, because they clearly do not care about power users anymore.

We care very much about all users. At this point adding it back is not planned but your vote is registered. 

Can you let us know if you are "planning" to ultimately remove the feature in the Desktop app as well? 

It would be nice to know this ahead of time, so I can cancel my other Evernote Premium accounts. It kind of burns me up that your marketing directly promoted web clipper account switching as a major carrot for people to upgrade to Premium accounts. It simply doesn't make any sense to continue switching support in the Desktop app, but not in the web clipper. The feature used to work so farkking GREAT, so I can't understand the logic behind removing it. 

Removing a critical feature that adds value to our paid Premium accounts, and basically rubbing it in our faces by promising that it will never come back (without a sensible explanation why) hardly sounds like a company that cares "very much" about its users.

We care very much about all users. At this point adding it back is not planned but your vote is registered. 

The point here is not that we ask for a new feature...We ask here about bringing back a feature that was already there before Evernote did decide to remove it, with no obvious reasons, a feature even used for marketing.

What do I think ? I think that Evernote decided to remove it for strategic reasons. After selling this as a special feature for Premium users, you will see it to reappear to sell the Business version. Anyway it is related somewhere.

A token for your thoughts...

GH

The only solution is to use Microsoft OneNote too.   Everyone keep your options open since we have basically been told to shove off.  The issue must be tied to the business accounts or something.    Try creating a personal private  wordpress site and use the tool called "Press This" to clip web information.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was just searching for how to switch accounts as I use me Evernote account as my own personal knowledgebase and today received a 2nd company one.  I figured out how to switch in the client, but even though the Clipper is advertised as having this feature, I couldn't find it until hitting this post.

There's clearly a need for users like myself to have this option in the Clipper - if not additional multi-user capabilities added from what was there previously.  What's not clear to me is what the potential negative impact would be from bringing it back; even if only a smaller percentage of users may use it. Prior to having multiple accounts, I didn't know the option was there (when it was) so obviously didn't hamper me whatsoever.

I do agree that Evernote should at the very least provide a genuine response to the status if not future of this issue instead of "We care very much about all users. At this point adding it back is not planned but your vote is registered." This reply after many users voiced their opinions did not sit well with me and seemed somewhat pompous.

I have been an advocate of Evernote for a long time now yet have not had an experience with their support team to speak of.  I do not (and hope Evernote would, either) wish for this topic in it's current state to be the only example I have.

Thank You in advance for any information provided...

• 2 weeks later...

Very disappointed by finding this out. I have recently discovered Evernote which I have been sharing with everyone! I have 3 premium accounts myself, each serving completely different purposes. I really hope this can be looked into as I imagine the (high) number of people actually posting about this on various forums are only a VERY small proportion of the number of people effected by this serious overlook. Power in numbers people, please submit a post if you support this feature being reinstated  :)

The biggest (and saddest) irony of this statement is that ever since you guys "depreciated" the (allegedly) infrequently-used account switching feature in the Web Clipper, the less and less I've actually been using the Web Clipper, and have reverted to manually copying & pasting content into my Evernote accounts, like a gosh-darned Neanderthal.

Using Evernote shouldn't be a painful, friction-fraught experience every time you need to use one of its core features. And I have a really difficult time reconciling the continuing existence of account switching in the desktop clients, with the claim that account switching was removed in the Web Clipper because nobody used it. 

I think all we're looking for here is the answer to one of two following questions:

1) Can you PLEASE––for the love of every $DEITY from every major world religion–-bring back account switching to the Web Clipper?

2) Can you just cut to the chase, and let us know if the whole concept of "account switching" in general will eventually be deprecated across ALL of Evernote's client apps, so that we can all get on with our lives and stop grasping on to the thinnest, tenuous threads of hope that you will change your mind and listen to the very real needs of your devoted "Power User" client base? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

A workaround for multiprofile in evernote web clipper is to use the multi-profile features of your browser.

I use Chrome, I have a personal profile and another one for my job. I can switch very easily from one to another. For each browser profile you can set up a different set of plugins (hence you can use 2 evernote web clipper with different settings).

Multi profile is supported by firefox as well, I don't know for other browsers.

Hope it helps.

Totally makes sense and is a good idea.   Unfortunately it's to cumbersome for heavy use.   I personally use different web browsers link to different accounts.   But this is no excuse for removing the original well thought out feature of easily switching between accounts at clipper level.   For a freelancer switching between different client accounts, it's still an unfortunate decision on evernote's part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I too agree that this feature should be reinstated. I've been a heavy user of Evernote and recently set up a new Chrome profile and can only use WebClipper in one profile at a time - even though the elephant icon (ev webclipper) appears in the upper right of the user who cannot actually use it.  For God's sake, if you are going to stick with your decision to ignore users' requests at least disable the elephant icon from appearing - it was SO FRUSTRATING to spend about an hour trying to figure out why the 'options' for the icon show up and it looks as if it's working yet the clipper just doesn't start or even show an error message when you hover over it.

This is one of the few programs that I've been willing to pay $50 a year to use and you're making it tremendously inconvenient

• 3 months later...

Just popping in to note that leaving this comment is the last thing I'm doing before cancelling my premium account because of this issue.  This feature was literally the only reason I updgraded to Premium, and I didn't realize that it had been taken away (as opposed to my phone just having issues) till today.  Frustrating.

• 2 months later...

'Popular' or not this feature is vital for many users including myself. As with others chances of ever using premium are zero for me without that key feature. With it, I could potentially sell my entire company on the pro version.

Bad business IMO Evernote.

I've pretty much given up hope that account switching will ever come back to the web clipper. Evernote has sent a crystal clear message that they don't really care what power users of their product really need. I'm guessing this otherwise perfect functional feature was removed because it was "cramping the style" of other more flashier features (like annotation), and the clipper designers wanted more UI real estate to add features that a lot of us probably never use.

At this point, I'm sure that those of us who plead for the reinstatement of account switching are a mere annoyance to the Evernote team. It's been 2 years since this thread started, and Evernote has made it clear that they just don't consider the needs of its paying power users to be important ones.

I feel that the Evernote team's continued indifference to our needs is fueled by the sad fact that Evernote really doesn't have any legitimate competition in this space, and they arrogantly know that despite our complaints, there's not really anything better out there that most of us complainers would be willing to switch to.

Reminds me of QuarkXpress...

• 3 weeks later...

So who cares whether "you" did not have much usage of it. WE, the users who want, need and depend on this feature, ARE USING IT!  Stop making decisions for the users based on Google Inc.'s inner perceptions of what is and is not liked. Every time I come to depend on a great feature Google adds to Gmail and now Chrome, Google on its own decides it doesn't want to support it anymore!!! WHAT THE HECK!!!! STOP IT!  I was syncing my Outlook Calendar with Gmail 's calendar and now you guys have created for me a new nightmare trying to control two distinct calendars for one very same person. AND NOW THIS!!!  By this same logic, we should remove the REVERSE feature in our cars, because "there is not much usage of it". YOU REALLY SHOULD ALL BE FIRED.

• 1 year later...

Archived