(Archived) Oct 27th Update - "paste" floater continually appears when trying to write

alanfleming

I've only recently started using Penultimate properly so apologies if this is a known issue.

When trying to handwrite, using either a Bamboo stylus or an Adonit Jot on my retina iPad, Penultimate keeps bringing up a "paste" floater rather than just recording my writing. It happens less if I write very slowly, but it doesn't go away.

It keeps happening, in zoomed in and normal mode. I've tried switching wrist protection off and on - it makes no difference. It happens continually, and so frequently that it makes Penultimate unusable for me as a note-taking app.

Is this a known issue? Is there any way of preventing it? Is there any info I can supply to Evernote in order for this to be diagnosed and fixed if it's known?

I've only recently started using Penultimate properly so apologies if this is a known issue.

When trying to handwrite, using either a Bamboo stylus or an Adonit Jot on my retina iPad, Penultimate keeps bringing up a "paste" floater rather than just recording my writing. It happens less if I write very slowly, but it doesn't go away.

It keeps happening, in zoomed in and normal mode. I've tried switching wrist protection off and on - it makes no difference. It happens continually, and so frequently that it makes Penultimate unusable for me as a note-taking app.

Is this a known issue? Is there any way of preventing it? Is there any info I can supply to Evernote in order for this to be diagnosed and fixed if it's known?

This is a new issue that started with the 5.0 update.  There are numerous 1-star reviews on the App Store as a result (none by me... yet).  I've been using Penultimate since the early days, and I've never seen them do something that so completely breaks user input.

I'm seeing this on an iPad 4 (Wi-Fi 32 GB) running iOS 7.0.3 and using a Wacom Bamboo for input.

Have you tried the basic iOS troubleshooting steps? Force close the app. Reset the device?

Yes. Though doing it again adds one more piece of info: It only happens if something is in the cut/paste buffer. Unfortunately there's no way of clearing that.

Glad to see I'm not the only one having this issue, TDeep!

I use Penultimate to take lecture note which I put pictures and diagrams into as I go along. I can't do it with the zoom/drift thing because I can't see the whole page to put graphics in. If there was even just a switch to turn off the zoom/drift stuff then I could handwrite on the whole page view and work with pictures. At the moment if I try to write while on the whole page view it constantly asks me to paste. I know my handwriting isn't amazing but I'm pretty sure that even the word "diffraction," can't be confused with the input to paste; yet it keeps being interpreted that way. 

Having exactly same annoying problem, but there is a workaround for it. Write bigger. If you write small with a stylus, penultimate assumes you are just keeping your finger still to bring the pastebutton up and doesn't write anything. This makes your notes look really ugly and you have to take a new page all the time, but otherwise, like you said, the penultimate is just totally unusable. Hope they fix this and make my life easier :P

Archived