Can't stack notebooks within a main notebook

kali

Idea

I'm using the current version of Evernote for Mac on my Mac laptop. I have already created notebook stacks - one main topic with separate notebooks within that notebook. i.e., Toastmasters has five notebooks inside it for different topics.

Today I created another notebook inside the Toastmasters notebook and called it conferences.

Two of the five notebooks already inside are for separate conventions I went to. Now I want to move them into the new notebook called conferences. Online help instructions say to just drag and drop, but that's not working. When I right click on one of the specific conference notebooks I can't move it either.

Do I have to be in a certain view or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for your help. I'm not a premium user...yet!

post-138583-0-08494400-1382986777_thumb.

4 replies to this idea

I'm using the current version of Evernote for Mac on my Mac laptop. I have already created notebook stacks - one main topic with separate notebooks within that notebook. i.e., Toastmasters has five notebooks inside it for different topics.

Today I created another notebook inside the Toastmasters notebook and called it conferences.

Two of the five notebooks already inside are for separate conventions I went to. Now I want to move them into the new notebook called conferences. Online help instructions say to just drag and drop, but that's not working. When I right click on one of the specific conference notebooks I can't move it either.

Do I have to be in a certain view or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for your help. I'm not a premium user...yet!

It's best to use correct terminology when asking for help.  Notebooks cannot contain notebooks.

Notes belong to one notebook.  There are no nested/sub notebooks.  Stacks only group notebooks & cannot contain notes. 

You can move notes from one notebook to another.  You can move notebooks from one stack to another. 

This is the case for both free & premium accounts.

Any reason why you can't have notebooks within other notebooks? It only seems logical. Just how creating folders within folders is possible with my computer. I feel handicapped with Evernote without the ability to have this feature. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Any reason why you can't have notebooks within other notebooks? It only seems logical. Just how creating folders within folders is possible with my computer. I feel handicapped with Evernote without the ability to have this feature. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Suggestions:

1. See if you can find a method that works for you withing the existing paradigm.  Most people do this by using a combination of stacks and tags.

2. Use a different product.

As far as the "reason", well, because for whatever reason EN has not provided that feature.  I am strongly in favor of adding it, for what it's worth.  And it's been requested many, many times and there are many discussions and debates about it in these forums.  It took EN several years just to allow single level stacks.  I've seen not even a hint they intend to add this, so it would surprise me if they do.

The reason is because Evernote does not allow/support it. I don't know why, but I'd guess they have a valid reason. Tags really are much more flexible than sub-folders, especially the more notes you have. More info here:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/28871-feature-request-nested-stacks-multiple-notebook-levels/?p=170317

Please search the board on tags, sub notebooks and/or sub folders for more info. This has been discussed already at great length.

Archived