(Archived) Some questions about sharing/permissions

I downloaded EN earlier this year for one project, and was excited when I realized it would work for an additional project I came up with.  But I have a few questions about sharing

1- is it correct that a stack cannot be shared?

2 - if a stack can't be shared, is it possible to share my entire workspace (all notebooks/stacks) with other users but give them read-only access only? I came across this article on the EN blog but I do not see the 'shared' tab.  I'm guessing the screen shots are from a Mac, so I am not sure if it is the browser interface or the web interface.  I am a Windows users and so far am not Premium, but don't need the people I share it with to re-share.

background - I want to use this for travel destinations.  So I might create a stack called 'Waikiki' and then have a number of notebooks related to Waikiki within that stack (a notebook with places to eat and a notebook for transportation options, etc). But if I can't share "Waikiki" as a stack and have to share each notebook individually, it would get confusing if I also want to share "Kona" with them. As a workaround, if it's an option I'd want to tell them to create similar stacks and move the notes into the stacks - it would be a pain, but at least it would be better than having them all together

Thanks

• Level 5*

I downloaded EN earlier this year for one project, and was excited when I realized it would work for an additional project I came up with.  But I have a few questions about sharing

1- is it correct that a stack cannot be shared?

Correct. Sharing is done on a notebook-by-notebook basis.

2 - if a stack can't be shared, is it possible to share my entire workspace (all notebooks/stacks) with other users but give them read-only access only? I came across this article on the EN blog but I do not see the 'shared' tab.  I'm guessing the screen shots are from a Mac, so I am not sure if it is the browser interface or the web interface.  I am a Windows users and so far am not Premium, but don't need the people I share it with to re-share.

It is not possible to share an entire workspace. Premium users can share with write access to their notebooks; free users can only share read access.

background - I want to use this for travel destinations.  So I might create a stack called 'Waikiki' and then have a number of notebooks related to Waikiki within that stack (a notebook with places to eat and a notebook for transportation options, etc). But if I can't share "Waikiki" as a stack and have to share each notebook individually, it would get confusing if I also want to share "Kona" with them. As a workaround, if it's an option I'd want to tell them to create similar stacks and move the notes into the stacks - it would be a pain, but at least it would be better than having them all together

Note that the maximum number of notebooks you can have in Evernote is currently 250. That may not scale well with your system (i.e. how many possible destinations will there be?).

Thanks for taking time to reply, Jeff - I appreciate it.  While I won't go so far as to say that not being able to share stacks is a 'deal killer', it is a bummer and throws a bit of a monkey wrench in my plans. :(

I just tried sharing a notebook with another user.  I don't see the same interface as I see in the blog above... do you know what interface those screen shots were taken in?  Anyway, I can see who I've shared the notebook with if I right-click the notebook and select 'Share Notebook'.  But is there an easier way to see all shares at once rather than drilling into each one? (e.g. so I'll be able to see that I shared Waikiki and Kona with Susie but I forgot to share Hilo with her).  Yes, I think I can work with the 250 limit, but thanks for letting me know about that limitation.  :)

Now the user I shared it with only seems to be able to 'Leave' or Rename the notebook.  There doesn't seem to be an option for the user to create a stack and add the (shared) notebook to it.  Is that correct? (at least not from web interface)

Archived