(Archived) ScanSnap Scanner Support

MikeSeeH

Idea

Hi!

Just read the release notes of the new version and am/was excited about "ScanSnap Evernote Edition Scanner Support".

Unfortunately it seems it is really only the Evernote Edition as all options are greyed out for my ScanSnap S1100.

Is the scanner support only for the Evernote Edition? What a pity …

Thanks,

Mike

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You can hardly accuse them of raising false hope with "Evernote Edition Support" in the title..  I'd assume that involves some changes in the scanner as well as in Evernote,  hence my S1500 and your S1100 not gettng anything new.  But don't you have ScanSnap Manager?  What feature(s) were you looking forward to?

Not accusing anyone of raising false hope … this is why I quoted explicitly the "Evernote Edition".

• It would be nice to not have the ScanSnap Manager open when I only use the Scanner with Evernote.
  • Automated filing of the scanned files in the notebooks depending on the file type seems to be a great feature that the manager cannot provide.

So not too many things we are missing ;-)

• Level 5*

Not accusing anyone of accusing anyone..  :)  just sayin'..  

If you use 'scan to folder' (and don't use an Import folder) you can do some fancy things with a file manager like LifeHacker's "Belvedere" and the multiple import folders that Evernote supports.  Assign files of one type to a specific notebook and use Belvedere (which is an AHK script) to go through your 'scanned' folder and move files of that type to the import folder linked to that notebook.  Repeat as necessary. Don't know offhand what the maximum number of import folders is,  but there should be enough to make a dent in your files...

(Sounds more complicated than it is. I think.)

Not accusing anyone of accusing anyone..  :)  just sayin'..  

:D

If you use 'scan to folder' (and don't use an Import folder) you can do some fancy things with a file manager like LifeHacker's "Belvedere" and the multiple import folders that Evernote supports.  Assign files of one type to a specific notebook and use Belvedere (which is an AHK script) to go through your 'scanned' folder and move files of that type to the import folder linked to that notebook.  Repeat as necessary. Don't know offhand what the maximum number of import folders is,  but there should be enough to make a dent in your files...

(Sounds more complicated than it is. I think.)

Could it be that is Windows only? Evernote Mac has no import folder … no?

• Level 5*

Sorry - you're completely correct;  I do apologise - I forgot this was a Mac forum!  There are (I believe) some scripting alternatives for Mac,  but how effective they would be in my suggested scenario I don't know.  Unless you're rich enough to buy a small Windows laptop to handle your scanning,  the idea's a bust.

Just ran into this problem.  Would like to use the ScanSnap evernote software with my S1500M.

There seems to be no technical reason why this wouldn't be supported, since the logic is mostly software based.  

It would be very nice to have the auto sort and auto detection functionality. 

The scanner is a tank - I can't justify upgrading it to seemingly the same scanner due to this.

I hope Evernote can make some magic happen here.

• Level 5*

From the brief videos I've seen,  the Evernote scanner seems several steps ahead of the basic ScanSnap 1500 - mine won't tell me whether I scanned receipts or business cards forinstance.  And the logic changes are on the scanner side,  not Evernote's - I'd suspect we have to convince Fujitsu to upgrade their ScanSnap Manager software..  Agreed I'd very much like the functionality - but I suspect the Fujitsu aim is to sell more scanners,  not provide more free support for the existing models.  I suspect the 2nd-hand market is going to have a sudden surge of S1500's as some people upgrade!

Where do you see that the type identification is related to the scanner?  I would think that is software based.  That would explain it then and would justify the purchase.  

If I were the product team I suppose I would make this much clearer.  I'm also confident you can do the same thing with software. ;)

Archived