(Archived) search by title defaults to reverse alpha: why?

pleasemakeitwork

Idea

searching by title is by reverse alpha unless i use two clicks to go back and change it to alpha.  Maybe i am missing something, but why does EN expect me to prefer reverse?  Is there a way to change this so that the default is alpha? maybe I am overlooking something.  thanks

16 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. Do you have a link to that earlier post? All I could find in a quick search was this post by someone else who seems to have a similar problem (I am not yet completely clear about it, though).

Blimey, I should have kept a copy of all my posts in my own Evernote Evernote Notebook.

Finally excavated it though. It's post #8 from May 4th 2013, in http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37643-mac-beta-401183/

[Note: this was a post in the private beta series so some people may not be able to link to it.]

I liked your post because you found this. Thanks for tracking it down. I think we ought to raise this as an issue, because it certainly doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps there is logic to it, but I'd like to hear an explanation for it to convince me that this is the best way.

If that was a private beta post (I can't tell from that thread), then we probably aren't supposed to be talking about it here (nda), but I 'm not sure where the lines are with that. At any rate, it looks like we are looking at the same issue a few months later, so we need to at least figure out if this is a but or feature.

• Level 5*

Here is the post by trumpetg in the beta thread from a few months back. I think it summarizes the issue well.

--------------------

Slight anomaly in the View drop-down menu:

When I switch from Sort by: Date Updated > Most Recent to Least Recent to Sort by: Title EN defaults to Reverse Alphabetical Order when Alphabetical Order would be preferable.

If I switch to Alphabetical Order and then switch back to Sort by: Date Updated EN defaults to > Least Recent to Most Recent rather than the reverse.

Not the most logical defaults surely.

--------------------

• Level 5*

I think we ought to raise this as an issue, because it certainly doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps there is logic to it, but I'd like to hear an explanation for it to convince me that this is the best way.

If that was a private beta post (I can't tell from that thread), then we probably aren't supposed to be talking about it here (nda), but I 'm not sure where the lines are with that. At any rate, it looks like we are looking at the same issue a few months later, so we need to at least figure out if this is a but or feature.

Since this is no longer a private beta issue, and the betas have come and gone, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

GM, it seems to me you would be the most appropriate forum member to start up a new topic and once again bring this issue to the EN team's attention.

(Feel free to copy and paste from my original post.)

I'll clear it and paste it here. It was well-written.

I think we ought to raise this as an issue, because it certainly doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps there is logic to it, but I'd like to hear an explanation for it to convince me that this is the best way.

Since this is no longer a private beta issue, and the betas have come and gone, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

GM, it seems to me you would be the most appropriate forum member to start up a new topic and once again bring this issue to the EN team's attention.

(Feel free to copy and paste from my original post.)

i am using 5.3.  I am no longer an early adopter for any EN release because they do not seem to have an effective Beta testing program.  So, I waiting for 5.4 to graduate to 5.4.1. FYI re the reverse alpha issue, I asked Chat Support about it and they told me that it is not a bug and that I will just have to live with it. I am hoping that the many smart folks who populate this Forum might have a better suggestion.

Hi. Do you have a link to that earlier post? All I could find in a quick search was this post by someone else who seems to have a similar problem (I am not yet completely clear about it, though).

Blimey, I should have kept a copy of all my posts in my own Evernote Evernote Notebook.

Finally excavated it though. It's post #8 from May 4th 2013, in http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37643-mac-beta-401183/

[Note: this was a post in the private beta series so some people may not be able to link to it.]

• Level 5*

Reverse Alpha is the default for searches in Snippet view too.

And the problem gets worse. It's not just an alphabetical reverse: When you cancel your search and return to Sort by: Date Updated, EN defaults to Least Recent to Most Recent, even though you were previously using Most to Least.

I posted about this problem a few months ago but nothing was done.

Reverse Alpha is the default for searches in Snippet view too.

And the problem gets worse. It's not just an alphabetical reverse: When you cancel your search and return to Sort by: Date Updated, EN defaults to Least Recent to Most Recent, even though you were previously using Most to Least.

I posted about this problem a few months ago but nothing was done.

• Level 5*

I've never posted a screen shot in this forum.  maybe this might even work.

That was a great help. It looks like you've got card view there. Give a try to other views and see what happens. I'll take a look on my Mac as well -- I don't use card view and this might be a bug there. We have a similar kind of bug going on in iOS, where it defaults to date created, so it is a possibility. By the way, what version are you using?

• Level 5*

searching by title is by reverse alpha unless i use two clicks to go back and change it to alpha.  Maybe i am missing something, but why does EN expect me to prefer reverse?  Is there a way to change this so that the default is alpha? maybe I am overlooking something.  thanks

Hi. I'm not seeing this. Could you post a screenshot? I'm using the side view and the sort stays the same no matter what kind of search I do. The only time the sort order changes is when I change it myself.

Archived