(Archived) Using public note images on websites

I have been using Evernote to clip screenshots from applications that I'm using and/or beta testing. When something goes wrong in a program a clip the screenshot in evernote, tag it as screenshot then put it in a public notebook. Then I post to that application's support forum, directly referencing the image in the public notebook (eg http://forum.newsgator.com/Topic47312-7 ... x?Update=1).

What I'm wondering is, is this legit? It's technically hot-linking. While it is my own image, this is using your services without anyone seeing your brand or display ads. Is it ok for me to do this, currently I'm on a free account but I'm looking at upgrading to premium. Would this be ok if I was a premium user?

I love Evernote & don't want to rip you guys off, but posting images this way makes this task so much easier. Posting screenshots to the web has always been a bit of a pain. Evernote just made it really simple!

I tried following your link, and I only see a "broken image" within the newsgator forum page.

I think that our service is set up so that it will only give out images if either:

(1) you're logged in to the account that owns that image

(2) you got to that image via our public notebook UI (i.e. we check the "Referrer" header from the browser)

This basically prevents the use of Evernote as just a transparent image hosting service, which is (unfortunately) what you were looking for with this usage. The reason you're seeing it ok in your browser is that you're logged in to your account in the same browser session. If you logged out of your Evernote account, I think you'd see that the image didn't serve correctly.

You could paste the "permalink" to the Evernote note instead of putting the direct image tag in there:

http://www.evernote.com/pub/dalziel/public#14724052-19ba-4bf9-ae49-ce3e2289acaa

This might not be quite as convenient for a simple image, but you could put other annotations into the text of the notes, etc.

Ah, tricky. I didn't think of that :D

That's cool, I'll just save the image out to my Dropbox public folder & use that, it's what I was doing before (I'm just lazy & looking for a 1 step process!)

thanks

• 4 months later...
I tried following your link, and I only see a "broken image" within the newsgator forum page.

I think that our service is set up so that it will only give out images if either:

(1) you're logged in to the account that owns that image

(2) you got to that image via our public notebook UI (i.e. we check the "Referrer" header from the browser)

I just realized that some of my images on my blog are now broken because you removed this option. I was using my public notebook to save my images so I could show them on my blog. Why should this not be possible? at least for Premium users... :(

Archived