(Archived) Sorting

I want so badly to love and use Evernote.  My problem is, for several years I have asked for a feature that just won;t happen.

I need to be able to sort my notes in each notebook the way I want.  Maybe in one notebook my title, in another by date....maybe in another by dragging and dropping in a random order.  I can't do it.  If I sort the notes in one notebook by title, then ALL my notebooks are sorted by title.

In Onenote, I can sort the way I want...each notebook differently.

has anyone figured out a way around this?

I want so badly to love and use Evernote.  My problem is, for several years I have asked for a feature that just won;t happen.

I need to be able to sort my notes in each notebook the way I want.  Maybe in one notebook my title, in another by date....maybe in another by dragging and dropping in a random order.  I can't do it.  If I sort the notes in one notebook by title, then ALL my notebooks are sorted by title.

In Onenote, I can sort the way I want...each notebook differently.

has anyone figured out a way around this?

It's doubtul EN will ever add manual sort order.  As far as sorting each notebook differently, it's really not that difficult to change the sort order when moving between notebooks so that is your workaround.

I am guessing that since onenote can do it, it is certainly doable

Just b/c it's doable doesn't mean EN will choose to implement it.  Additionally, I suspect the various things that Onenote does that EN does not may be at least part of the reason why ON does not live on all the platforms EN does.  If Onenote were so easy to implement across all the platforms, I'd guess Microsoft would have done it by now.

onenote is on several platforms.  

but why wouldn't EN want its users to do the things the way they want instead of the way EN wants them to?

Evernote has its own roadmap & plan of where they want to go.  There is no way they can implement everything every user wants for various reasons.  One reason is what I want my not coexist with what you want.  So Evernote (or any app) is never going to be the be all end all for everyone.  No one is forced to use EN.  If it works for you, great.  If not, then there's always other options. 

• Level 5*

ok...why would you not want to organize things the way YOU want to organize them?

when you organize things at your home, do you organize them the way some guy down the street wants you to, or the way YOU want to?

When I use a tool, I try to use it the way that it's designed to be used. Otherwise I use another tool.
  • Level 5

ok...why would you not want to organize things the way YOU want to organize them?

when you organize things at your home, do you organize them the way some guy down the street wants you to, or the way YOU want to?

Well, I agree but where should this end? Somebody wants to sort all notebooks according to the same key, another one would like to do it in your way, orhers would like use the day of the week or day of the month or a sort depending on tags etc. No tool will give everybody the features they want.

If you want to implement your own individual way of sorting I suggest to use the title sort and choose the title in a way that it creates the correct order. For example you could use a sorting by any date by starting with a date like yyyy-mm-dd, or a random order by just putting a number like 001, 002, 003, ... in front of the rest of the title etc. This is what I do when I want to use my personal order scheme. I do this in the same way with tags. I use different prefixes for tags. For example my tags describing a location start with @, tags describing people start with # etc. In this way it is much easier to search for a tag. If I want to add a person tag I type @ and all existing person tags appear.

I admit it is some work but I find it worthwhile and it helps me a lot to stay organized.

Like Jeff, I use a tool that works for me.  Sometimes that requires me to adapt to the tool.  Sometimes that requires me to find a different tool.  That's why there is no one single software app that everyone uses.  And that's why it's reasonable that the guy down the street & I use different organizational tools.  (I'm not even sure why it matters how the guy down the street wants me to organize since I'm not enlisting his help in organizing my stuff.)

• Level 5*

I do not blame you for avoiding my question.  Thank you

Not sure who you're addressing here, but let's get a few facts out:

* First, if's fine to make suggestions as to what features go into Evernote. The Evernote folks definitely appreciate them.

* However, the flip side is that are not willing or able to satisfy all feature requests, for any number of reasons (lack of resource to implement anything, a different design goal, etc.).

* It's ok to hope for new features, but in their absence, it's much more realistic to learn how to use the features provided.

* As with any tool, it's up to the user to decide whether Evernote suits their needs. If it doesn't, then that user may be better off seeking a different too.

I do not blame you for avoiding my question. Thank you

my question was addressed to Burgers.  I was just curious as to when someone organizes their home, if they organize it the way someone else wants them to, or the way they want to.....

I did answer your question. FYI, this is not my job. I'm on the board a lot but I also have a life outside of this board. So if you're expecting an answer within seconds then you should change your expectations.

Actually I would like a feature where Evernote would include my sort order when I share the notebook.

This one change would make Evernote an amazing publishing tool. With that ability, I could offer entire ebooks designed within Evernote. But when I share a notebook and it defaults to the date created, it puts my ebook content out of order. {sigh}

Archived