Feature Request: Standard PDF highlighting & notes (iBooks-style)

rupertp

Idea

Using Evernote for academic study is great... providing you're using the mac client, where you can open your PDF files in Preview for native highlighting and notes. On iOS, there is no easy way to do this, without an annoying round trip with duplicate files.

Although Skitch recently added support for PDFs, you can only draw on them, add arrows and text. For marking up a PDF with highlights and comments, especially for academic reading, it's much better to be able to use standard PDF markup tools such as text-select highlighting and notes which sit in the margins. There's no way I'd want to  write all my notes in typed fonts around the page, like Skitch would have me do.

Is there any way Skitch or Evernote might support this in the near future? I find this a necessity, and use Papers 3 in the meantime.

5 replies to this idea

Similar suggestion here - I would like to be able to highlight my text notes without going into "edit mode", selecting the text (which is often very hard when using Evernote for iOS) and choosing highlight from the "edit bar". iBooks or Kindle-style highlighting style (= highlighting by moving the finger through the lines) would be much easier imo.

I would like to second this feature request. I would like for the Evernote team to expand on the Highlighter functionality in the iOS environment.

1) It would be AWSOME to have the tool function in the iOS devices like a true highlighter would on a piece of paper. Ex. you could select the tool from a toolbar within a note, and with a stylus pen, or finger, or a mouse when using the web or desktop versions of the software, highlight all the text you wanted and then de-select the tool when you are done marking up your document. Right now the work flow to first select text and then click the highlight button to change the text appearance is slow and hinders productivity, especially in the iOS platforms.

2) Also if would be great to have the choice to select from various different highlighter colors to help things stand out.

I have been a long time user of iAnnotate and if we had even some of their functionality in Evernote it would be a huge improvement and add greatly to workflows. I can only dream that one day this will come true and we could have;

• Additional Highlighter color options
  • Additional annotation tools, like writing in the margins, or underlining text in certain colors
  • Searchable annotations within our notes like iAnnotate.

Archived