(Archived) dragging tags between large nested tag sets - any shortcuts?

Alan Rew

Having set up a couple of nested tag hierarchies in Evernote, I need to do some reorganization & I find it time-consuming to drag tags from one group to another, as both sets of tags are rather large.

The only way I know to move a tag from one nested set to another is to drag it. This is a very slow process with large sets of tags. Yes, I know I shouldn't have let them grow large, but that's where I am! It would be nice to have a cut & paste facility to do this, but I haven't found it.

I did think of temporarily renaming tags to move them up to the start/end of a group to reduce the wait while dragging to another group, but this seems a bit clunky.

Does anyone know of easy ways to move tags between large nested sets?

Thanks in anticipation.

UPDATE: there's been an excellent answer (see below)

Click on the Tags header in the left panel -- this replaces the main display with a Tags panel. You Ctrl-click select multiple tags at a time in the tag panel and drag them to a new parent.

• Level 5*

Hi - I'd strongly recommend that you look into the need to tag anything if you have such large sets of tags - Evernote has a great search syntax and with some ingenuity (and practice) it's normally possible to find more or less anything.  Oh.  I left out good headings.  You need a title strategy that includes 1) who sent it? 2) what is it? and 3) anything else that might be relevant and is not mentioned in the content.

Not helpful I know,  and apologise already.  But AFAIK there are no work arounds you might use...

Thanks for suggesting this, but it doesn't help with my current situation. I'll see if there are any tricks to shorten the task, like temporarily renaming tags with an 'a' of 'z' prefix to move them close to the end of their current group thus reducing the 'drag distance'.

I don't know how to submit a feature request, but if I can I'll request a facility for copy/paste with tags. I don't think it can be hard to implement (but as a programmer, I would think that, wouldn't I?) and it's such a fundamental part of a modern UI that I think it really ought to be there.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm interested in what gazumped said about tagging.  If possible can you have a read of my situation and see what you think please?  My posts do tend to get a bit long though, hopefully I've explained my query clearly.

Hi - I'd strongly recommend that you look into the need to tag anything if you have such large sets of tags - Evernote has a great search syntax and with some ingenuity (and practice) it's normally possible to find more or less anything.  Oh.  I left out good headings.  You need a title strategy that includes 1) who sent it? 2) what is it? and 3) anything else that might be relevant and is not mentioned in the content.

Not helpful I know,  and apologise already.  But AFAIK there are no work arounds you might use...

I'm the type that likes to uses tags in Evernote and other applications.   When I started with Evernote I was able to drag multiple tags into a parent tag to re-organize them.  I did this to keep the tag list from growing too long.

But then it seems this ability was removed in Evernote 5. This post has a few comments about it.  There are probably more on the forum too. 

I've found an example of how I use a tag and wonder how you would suggest doing without the tag.  I recently needed to review cloud storage provides so I had created a note to track the main progress and separate notes for each provider I reviewed, I ended up with 4 notes.  I'm also reviewing mobile phone tariffs.  I've created 1 note for that.  I tagged these 5 notes with 'Review'.  using that tag I can quickly find the notes related to reviews. 

A simple search for the word 'review' returned 48 notes.  This included the word when I had typed it, in URLs, in quotes I've pasted into notes, etc

I could include a something like 'REVIEW:' in the title but the search doesn't seem to do well when looking for exact terms.  I happened to have 2 other notes with the term review but without the colon and the search string below still included them.  I could use a term like 'ReviewNote' that's not included anywhere else in my Evernote but I don't think its as clean as just 'Review' or using tags.

intitle:"review:"

Is there a way to search for the string above and make it return only the 5 notes with it in the title?

Thanks for your time.

P.S. I don't know if this topic is considered too old by people here on the Evernote forums to add a reply to.  Please let me know if I should have started another thread, I didn't see any obvious posts for guidelines or rules like that.

• Level 5*

If this generates any more discussion,  we can escalate it to a new item,  but for the moment at least I'll leave it here..

I cover the title issue in a specific way - with a standard format of yyyymmdd* - source** - subject*** - comments**** - extra remarks***** (if any).  So if I'd been doing your research this week I might have several notes with titles like "20140108 web - cloud storage - review".  And a search for intitle:"cloud storage" or that plus "review" would nail it for me.  If your random extra notes aren't recent ones you may be able to exclude them by searching for notes from this year.

Hope that helps..

Some of this will be self-explanatory,  but just in case..

*      this is the date of the item,  not necessarily 'today's date'.  Useful when I get lazy for a few days.

**    where is the note from - email / letter / web / receipt (helps to narrow down searches if I know I'm looking for a receipt for example..)

***   what's it about - cloud storage / fuel costs / school holidays

****  what's my comment on this?  helpful / 2009 prices / makes no sense.. ?

***** if I have any trouble finding this stuff what extra could I search for  - cloud review / storage review / 2014 tariff survey

• Level 5*

I'm the type that likes to uses tags in Evernote and other applications.   When I started with Evernote I was able to drag multiple tags into a parent tag to re-organize them.  I did this to keep the tag list from growing too long.

But then it seems this ability was removed in Evernote 5. This post has a few comments about it.  There are probably more on the forum too.

The topic that you pointed to is tagged as Mac; this topic here is tagged as Windows, so my comment will apply to the Windows Evernote client, specifically version 5: Click on the Tags header in the left panel -- this replaces the main display with a Tags panel. You Ctrl-click select multiple tags at a time in the tag panel and drag them to a new parent.

P.S. I don't know if this topic is considered too old by people here on the Evernote forums to add a reply to. Please let me know if I should have started another thread, I didn't see any obvious posts for guidelines or rules like that.

The topic isn't too old for replying to; in fact there's value in keeping related posts in one topic. On the other hand, much of what your post didn't really seem topical to the original issue, and that would have been worthy of a now topic.

Thanks for your response jefito.  Sorry, I wasn't observant enough of the forum posts to notice it was mac (even with the brightly colored mac tag  :huh:).  I think I may have found that Tags panel once but I had totally forgotten about it.

In addition to solving my issue with moving tags this also solve another issue, you can multi-select and delete tags in there too.

I appropriate your advice on forum posting.  I've not participated much before but I want to try more.  I will keep this in mind (actually on a note in Evernote too  :D).

• Level 5*

I appropriate your advice on forum posting.  I've not participated much before but I want to try more.  I will keep this in mind (actually on a note in Evernote too  :D).

OK then. Hope to see you around more!

Click on the Tags header in the left panel -- this replaces the main display with a Tags panel. You Ctrl-click select multiple tags at a time in the tag panel and drag them to a new parent.

Thanks, jefito - that answers my OP! Excellent tip!

Alan

The topic that you pointed to is tagged as Mac; this topic here is tagged as Windows, so my comment will apply to the Windows Evernote client, specifically version 5: Click on the Tags header in the left panel -- this replaces the main display with a Tags panel. You Ctrl-click select multiple tags at a time in the tag panel and drag them to a new parent.

P.S. I don't know if this topic is considered too old by people here on the Evernote forums to add a reply to. Please let me know if I should have started another thread, I didn't see any obvious posts for guidelines or rules like that.

The topic isn't too old for replying to; in fact there's value in keeping related posts in one topic. On the other hand, much of what your post didn't really seem topical to the original issue, and that would have been worthy of a now topic.

Archived