Share & Copy URL takes too long

Josh Fialkoff

@Josh - That's pretty unusual length of time for saving and creating a URL. The basic process is:

Package up the image <- Pretty fast on a Mac

Transmit to Evernote <- Mostly a factor of your computer and the network speed.

Get URL receipt from Evernote <- Pretty fast to generate, but transmission again is dependent upon your network speed.

Is there something limiting you network speed? Or are there a lot of CPU intensive processes running at the same time as Skitch is sending?

The reason we can't cache a URL is they don't exist until the Note is created and/or shared. We keep an ID when the Note is created and then generate a unique URL when shared, but until then nothing exists. This process is pretty fast. 

Thanks @Joe. Here is a speed test I did now. 20 Mbps down and 6.73 up. Pretty good...

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3052041442

Regarding this:

>>The reason we can't cache a URL is they don't exist until the Note is created and/or shared. We keep an ID when the Note is created and then generate a unique URL when shared, but until then nothing exists. This process is pretty fast. 

I don't understand why you can't have a reserve of URLs and then use them when the user shares a Skitch. Why do you need to generate a URL in realtime?

Is there a way we can review the time issue together in realtime?

Thanks,

Josh

• 8 months later...

Archived