(Archived) Evernote for Private Document Storage?

Does anyone recommend using Evernote for Private Document Storage for documents like PDFs of Past Tax Returns, Birth, Marriage, Insurance Policies, etc?

Does anyone have any problems with Evernote's Security?

Does anyone NOT recommend this and why? Another Service maybe?

I love evernote for day-day stuff...but is it worth using for important document storage as well?

Thanks.

Nick

My husband uses his Evernote account to store all of our official documentation for our insurance and assets.

Scans it in once then sticks it in the safe. That way, he doesn't have to go opening the safe anytime someone needs to know what the serial number of our boat engine is or what city our passports were issued in, what the cat's rabies ID # is, etc :)

We certainly have faith in it.

Last I knew, the security on Evernote is *not* secure as far as encryption if anyone gets to your data (say they get your password or hack your account.) I don't put any sensitive info in Evernote's cloud. And my local Evernote notebooks are stored on a Truecrypted drive. In the following thread, even Dick Engberg says "I'd recommend using our built-in encryption feature for any credit card numbers or passwords that you put into Evernote. This is how I use my Evernote account." It's also my understanding, this "built-in encryption" only works on text, no PDF files.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6722&p=32513&hilit=sensitive+data#p32513

I store my sensitive documents locally on a Truecrypted drive & in the cloud on Jungle Disk, which was designed for this type of use.

"Dick"? :-)

Evernote's service has similar security to what you'd get from a high-end email service. This means that if you have something that you'd ever be willing to send over email to anyone, then you could make a similar decision about storing it in Evernote.

If you have some information that you'd never be willing to send via Internet email through a good email provider, then that may not be appropriate to put into a synchronized notebook in Evernote.

Since different people have different personal threshholds for privacy/security vs. convenience, there's no single answer for "what should you store in Evernote?".

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the suggestion. I wouldn't rule out doing something like Secure ID in the future, but we'd need to deal with provisioning tokens and mailing them out to you, etc. I.e. a little labor-intensive, but might be something in the future.

Thanks

I wouldn't rule out doing something like Secure ID in the future, but we'd need to deal with provisioning tokens and mailing them out to you, etc. I.e. a little labor-intensive, but might be something in the future.

In case you're not aware, there is an iPhone app for Secure ID. I think its called VIP Access.

Archived