(Archived) finding emails by date sent or received in evernote free

Hello everyone

this is a first post and I am new to Evernote free.

I have sent a number of emails from outlook 2007 to my different notebooks, using the add to Evernote add in.

Is there a simple way of sorting out these emails into ascending or descending chronological order by either the sent date or the received date

within the email header? instead of the created or updated field?

thank yoo

• Level 5
I have sent a number of emails from outlook 2007 to my different notebooks, using the add to Evernote add in.

Is there a simple way of sorting out these emails into ascending or descending chronological order by either the sent date or the received date

Personally, with Evernote Windows, I would stick with sorting by the created date. If the date was not accurate, I would edit the created date to the desired date.

You want to sort by the "email header". Do you mean "email subject"?

If no, please explain further.

If yes, you could add the desired date in the subject field first (YYYYMMDD), then followed by the actual subject, before emailing it to Evernote.

To see only emails, search for  

source:mail.smtp

To sort them, be sure you are sorting by the Title field.

Subject: Ref CA 3774T

To: test@test.com

Date Sent: 16/09/2013 13:55:00

Dear Mr smith

Thank you for your reply, however I have either not understood your solution or I have not made myself clear?

I have copied and pasted part of a typical email header. I used "add to Evernote" in Outlook 2007 and sent over about 80 emails

They are sorted by created (in Evernote) date . The solution I am seeking is can emails in Evernote be sorted by the "date sent"

or "received" that is embedded in all email headers? I think one solution you are suggesting is to change the create date in Evernote to the same

as either the header "Date Sent" ?

Thank you

• Level 5

Subject: Ref CA 3774T

To: test@test.com

Date Sent: 16/09/2013 13:55:00

Dear Mr smith

Thank you for your reply, however I have either not understood your solution or I have not made myself clear?

I have copied and pasted part of a typical email header. I used "add to Evernote" in Outlook 2007 and sent over about 80 emails

They are sorted by created (in Evernote) date . The solution I am seeking is can emails in Evernote be sorted by the "date sent"

or "received" that is embedded in all email headers? I think one solution you are suggesting is to change the create date in Evernote to the same

as either the header "Date Sent" ?

Thank you

When you are forwarding the email, first edit the subject so that it looks like:

20131021 Ref CA 3774T

or

20130916 Ref CA 3774T

Email it.

The Evernote note will have a title that says: 20131021 Ref CA 3774T or 20130916 Ref CA 3774T (depending on your preference). Then sort by title and search for emails only

Answers to your other questions.

Evernote cannot sort by the sent date in the original email.

Evernote cannot sort by the received date in the original email.

You might be able to write some code to search for the info, but that is above my paygrade.

Yes, changing the date is my preferred suggestion for your question.

In the example above, I would change the Evernote created date to 2013-09-16 and leave the original subject information.

Thank you I understand your solution.I wish I had the skill to program this extra functinality.I hope Evernote will consider adding this one day. The ability to search when you sent or received an email say weeks later could be useful in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Your question has two parts:

1. How to search so that it pulls up all the notes you emailed in. Yes, there is a way to search for those emails.  You will want to use an "advanced operator" in your search.  That is not as scary as it sounds. An operator is just a search option such as Tag, Notebook, etc. Those are the only ones that show up in the drop down menu when you click in search on Windows*. However there are many other operators that can be used in addition to those two. The operator you want to use is "Source:mail.smtp" without the quotes. 

source: Search notes by the application or other source used to create them (e.g., mail.smtp for notes added via email, web.clip for notes added using a web clipper, etc.).

More advanced search operators can be found at: https://www.evernote.com/about/kb/article/advanced-search?lang=en

2. Is there a way to search on the date the original email was sent to/from or received in your email account?  I may be wrong about this but unless you selected "Show Header" such that it literally showed in the body of the email and then sent the email with that content in the body, I do not think the note has your header info embedded in it. Evernote does not function like an email program. Emailing into Evernote is just a method of creating a note from the email content.

What you could add to the search is a creation date or even a date range; but again, that will only be the date you created the note by emailing it into Evernote. That will work from here on out if you email emails the day they arrive into your email account.

*I am on a Mac and looked at pictures of what Evernote 5 for Windows Search looks like so if my description is slightly off I apologize. The info about the advanced search is correct regardless of what it looks like.

Ps. Welcome to Evernote and to the Forum!

Hello everyone

this is a first post and I am new to Evernote free.

thank yoo

Archived