(Archived) Different options on different platforms

GER_TX

Idea

Hello,

I am writing this for some Germans I am talking with on a German Evernote forum.

It came up that someone was wondering why the different platforms always have different options in it and why it can't be possible that they do the same things at the same time. So someone that is using a Mac and a PC always has to accept that both versions can't do the same things.

And that they might look different as well.

Is there a plan to get all platforms to look the same in the future?

I would love to tell him some good news.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Each of the OS development teams has the brief to make Evernote as good as they can for their specific platform.  Since each OS contains different features they're not in sync.  Seems like they'll always be similar but not the same.

I know this, as I was just doing a favor for a German EN user, I hoped that the EN team would take in consideration to try to make all platforms as similar as possible, or at least not wait 5 years between the updates on one platform while the others get plenty of updates.

• Level 5*

Hello,

I am writing this for some Germans I am talking with on a German Evernote forum.

It came up that someone was wondering why the different platforms always have different options in it and why it can't be possible that they do the same things at the same time. So someone that is using a Mac and a PC always has to accept that both versions can't do the same things.

And that they might look different as well.

Is there a plan to get all platforms to look the same in the future?

I would love to tell him some good news.

First, let me say that this issue is NOT German specific -- it is a major problem for all of us, regardless of language.

I fully understand tailoring Evernote for each platform, but there is NO good reason that the same features should not exist on all platforms of the same type.  By "type", I mean "Desktop", "Mobile", "Web".  Perhaps rarely there will be a feature that is precluded by limitations of the platform, but by and large the same feature set can be implemented on the same platform type (So EN Win and EN Mac should have the same features, for example).

BTW, I know this can be done because it has been done by many developers for over 20 years.  I personally developed multi-user database apps that shared the same DB and ran on both Windows and Mac.

Then, on the mobile platforms, at least all of the major, or primary, features that are on the desktop platforms should be provided, unless the platform OS prevents it.

I hope that the Evernote developers understand that many, many Evernote users run Evernote on at least three platforms:  Windows, Mac, and then one mobile (Android, iOS).  Many use one desktop at work and another at home.

So it is HUGELY beneficial to these users to have the same features, and the same general UI, on both EN Win and EN Mac.  And then, if we can use our EN mobile device that at least works in in similar manner (like observing the same Search rules, adding/removing Notebooks, Tags, etc), it will make our life sooooo much easier/simpler.  Clearly there may need to be UI differences due to screen size and lack of full KB/mouse on mobiles.

I am supportive of ADDING second-level features that are enabled by a platform.  But these are NOT the  CORE features, but are bonus features taking advantage of unique capability of the platform (like smartphones/tablets).

First, let me say that this issue is NOT German specific -- it is a major problem for all of us, regardless of language.

I know this is a problem for all users, but most German users don't use this place here and they are not going to do.

It's a culture thing most people here in the USA won't understand, so as I speak a little English, I am happy to help getting there messages to this side of the ocean and also get help from here to them over there.

It would be great if there would be an option that you can have all platforms look similar even with losing some secondary option that might be just available on the platform you are using. 

So people that use multi-platforms have it easier to get things done the same way on every version.

Archived