REQUEST: Embed Code Snippets with Auto-Formatting and Syntax Highlighting

cjjoy1980

Idea

I mostly use evernote to collect code snippets mainly C/C++ related.

When I copy the code from my editor like vim or xcode(mac), I dont see the

syntax being heighlighted.

On googling I found a online syntax highlighting tool. (http://tohtml.com/c/).

I was able to get my code higlighted but when I paste to evernote I see all the

code being pasted in a single line as below :

int sum(){>----int result = 0;>----return result != 0;}

Let me know if this could be avoided or if there is a better way for pasting code into evernote..

THanks

• Like 1

• Level 5*

While I'd love full syntax highlighting, a great start would be if you would just maintain a paste of code from a code editor as it is pasted.

Currently, all of the indents are removed after the Note is sync'd.

For example, a paste of code from the Mac Script Editor, in either AppleScript or JXA.

+1

I've been waiting a couple of years for a simple "code block" formatting.

Live highlighting would be awesome but 5 years of begging here and the birth of Quiver didn't move Evernote much...

Some basic inline formatting options (including code block) were beta-tested a few months ago and then withdrawn.

Can someone from the Evernote team give us an update/timeline on this ?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, she-codes said:

Thanks to everyone who mentioned Quiver - I might be using that from now on, it looks promising.

I am now using Quiver The Programmer's Notebook  extensively, for all of my code snippets, and it really works great.

Ver 3 brought a lot of new, powerful features, and Ver 3.0.1 looks like it will be released very soon.
The developer is very receptive to bug reports and suggestions.  See the Quiver Issue/Request List

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Hey guys, if you really want this feature, then you need to VOTE for it.
There are 110 replies in this thread, but only 3 votes.

Go to the top left of this page, and click on the UP arrow to vote:  EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png

There were hundreds of votes but when Evernote updated the ideas site all votes for reset to zero.

• Level 5*
On October 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM, JeuLeuVeu said:

I want to store code snippets in Evernote

I see they just implemented the "code block" feature.  
I'm not sure the benefit of this other than it cleans out underlying formatting.
I'm not holding my breath, but a next step would be to implement a formatting option where you identify the code language and syntax highlighting is applied.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, kevoh said:

Whats the status of this feature implementation?

Upvoted.

There's no indication that Evernote is considering this feature.

Keep adding your votes;  it shows user interest

• Level 5*

So the  "It's a shame that Evernote do not care about us."
becomes "It's a shame that Evernote do not care about us developers"

Really, it should be "It's a shame that Evernote doesn't consider this request a high priority"

Please add your vote; voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion

On 16/02/2012 at 10:23 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Evernote is not well suited to be used as a Code Snippet manager.

That's exactly the point. From a programmer's perspective Evernote isn't well suited to be "the place I put everything" if it can't handle code snippets. Consider it a heads up that if you don't support code snippets other tools will eat your market share/mindshare.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, ryan1234 said:

That's exactly the point. From a programmer's perspective Evernote isn't well suited to be "the place I put everything" if it can't handle code snippets. Consider it a heads up that if you don't support code snippets other tools will eat your market share/mindshare.

<Sigh>, another post predicting the demise of Evernote unless they implement  <insert feature request>

I’m able to insert code snippets into my notes.  

If I want auto formatting and syntax highlighting, I use a file attachment.  The code editor I use (Textastic) provides this feature

• Like 1
On 8/22/2017 at 5:50 AM, DTLow said:

<Sigh>, another post predicting the demise of Evernote unless they implement  <insert feature request>

I’m able to insert code snippets into my notes.  

If I want auto formatting and syntax highlighting, I use a file attachment.  The code editor I use (Textastic) provides this feature

For me the problem's not adding code snippets to Evernote, it's the copy-paste from Evernote.  Evernote embeds control-chars into the copied code.  When pasted into emails or Slack, the invisible control-characters are there and when others use the code, e.g. bash commands, the commands are broken.  I've been using Bear for all my code work and Evernote for personal data.

Yes - for me the problem is that you don't get back what you put in.

If I put in 'this', when I come to copy it and paste it into another application I get ‘this’ - which if, you look carefully has left and right single quotes instead of the ASCIIi code (39) "single quote" which I typed in. The others I have noticed are conversion of a pair of double quotes (ASCII 34 ) to "left and right double quotes" and from a pair of hyphens (ASCII 45) - like the ones used in lots of linux command lines in to a "long hyphen" . This makes using evernote to store my example scripts, code etc a nightmare. It hasn't stopped me using Evernote but it would be great to get a fix like <pre> or {code} to put around snippets to stop Evernote reformatting them. I'm using the Evernote Application on a Mac.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, VicC said:

If I put in 'this', when I come to copy it and paste it into another application I get ‘this’ - which if, you look carefully has left and right single quotes instead of the ASCIIi code (39) "single quote" which I typed in.

Is this an Evernote thing, or a Mac OS thing59dcfa464152d_ScreenShot2017-10-10at09_48_16.png.6d74c4ebbcc323b134c48f78ffb5ed39.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, VicC said:

Yes - for me the problem is that you don't get back what you put in.

If I put in 'this', when I come to copy it and paste it into another application I get ‘this’ - which if, you look carefully has left and right single quotes instead of the ASCIIi code (39) "single quote" which I typed in. The others I have noticed are conversion of a pair of double quotes (ASCII 34 ) to "left and right double quotes" and from a pair of hyphens (ASCII 45)

What versions of EN Mac and macOS are you running?
I am NOT seeing this behavior in Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.11.6.

Screenshot from EN Mac 6.11.1

2017-10-10_16-50-33.png.470f10956a524a2a0a08c995c4c959ef.png

Screenshot from BBEdit -- Paste of Code Snippet from EN Mac

2017-10-10_16-51-11.png.7ea671d69f361395df508d789e651dab.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, kiinoo said:

hey, is this feature implemented until now?

No, Evernote does not have a code syntax feature

To obtain this, I switch to a dedicated text editor app.  I post a screenshot in Evernote.

<div>hi!</div>
<div>The text editor for this forum, lets you insert codeblocks with syntax highlighting, but...</div>
<div>Evernote itself, the app that this forum is for, does not!</div>
<div>That's kinda crazy!  The text editor for the evernote forum has more features than the text editor for the evernote app!</div>

V10 is looking really nice though!  Well done on that!