(Archived) [Feature Request]: Vanity URLs

Whenever I want to quickly share an evernote link, I get something that's ridiculously long and unnecessary. Sharing would be better via email, twitter, everything, if evernote links would be generated as a shortened vanity URL. Something like everno.te/U77d8

This is an issue that has caused us to go back and forth internally. The tradeoff here is the security (read: guessability) of note shares. We've reached the scale now where we need to worry about people guessing or brute-forcing note URLs. Privacy is a top priority for us and the last thing we want is someone's privately shared note to be discovered by an unintended party. 

Twitter hasn't provided ample reason for us to create short URLs since they have a built in URL shortener already. Do you have any other cases where you would want a shortened URL? 

Previous response from Evernote on the subject. I suppose this is a valid concern, and yet...

You may use an Url shortener plugin ( http://goo.gl/GBJBy1 ).

But if Evernote team would add a Plugin feature for there softwares, the plugin could be add inside evernote software.  And it may use less time, less things to do. ( one button push..) In the other way... you have to create url with evernote, open it in web browser... then shortener it, copy&paste into destination....

And a comment about url creation : it's long... we have to wait the end of note synchronization.... why not synchronize in background and create the url on-the-fly. The time you send url by email or other, the synchronisation will be finish (may also leave a message on the url destination "waiting for end of upload").

.... why not synchronize in background and create the url on-the-fly. The time you send url by email or other, the synchronisation will be finish (may also leave a message on the url destination "waiting for end of upload").

This is how Dropbox does it, and it works well. Maybe vanity urls could expire after a time period...

• Level 5

I support Evernote's current position to increase security. I can understand why they would not want to lower their security standards even with an option. There are free easy-to-use alternatives that others could use.

For instance:

• 3rd party sites such as Google's goo.gl which lets people shorten the URL significantly (and track the users who access it). this is perfect for email and twitter.
  • Or just simply embed the URL into a short phrase.

Archived