Unable to save document

rbianchi

I markup a PDF document in a note in EN with skitch several times without problem, but in the last modification (that was only highlight a word in the text) I get the error message 'Unable to save document', and skitch editor closes without saving the changes.

This happen on iMac with OS 10.8 Mountain Lion and the lasted versions of Evernote and Skitch.

Any ideas on what may be happening?

Some lines in the activity log that seem related to the problem are:

2013-10-16 18:46:36  [ENMarkUpSession] ERROR: >Mark Up< __39-[ENMarkUpSession heartBeatTimerFired:]_block_invoke saveIfDirty failed: Error Domain=CoreSkitch Code=-1 "Unable to save document." UserInfo=0x11c0412d0 {NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to save document.}
2013-10-16 18:46:41  [ENMarkUpSession] ERROR: >Mark Up< __39-[ENMarkUpSession heartBeatTimerFired:]_block_invoke saveIfDirty failed: Error Domain=CoreSkitch Code=-1 "Unable to save document." UserInfo=0x11382fbe0 {NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to save document.}
2013-10-16 18:46:46  [ENMarkUpSession] ERROR: >Mark Up< __39-[ENMarkUpSession heartBeatTimerFired:]_block_invoke saveIfDirty failed: Error Domain=CoreSkitch Code=-1 "Unable to save document." UserInfo=0x11c635b40 {NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to save document.}
2013-10-16 18:46:51  [ENMarkUpSession] ERROR: >Mark Up< __39-[ENMarkUpSession heartBeatTimerFired:]_block_invoke saveIfDirty failed: Error Domain=CoreSkitch Code=-1 "Unable to save document." UserInfo=0x119fa49d0 {NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to save document.}
2013-10-16 18:46:56  [ENMarkUpSession] ERROR: >Mark Up< __39-[ENMarkUpSession heartBeatTimerFired:]_block_invoke saveIfDirty failed: Error Domain=CoreSkitch Code=-1 "Unable to save document." UserInfo=0x116bb00c0 {NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to save document.}
2013-10-16 18:47:01 main [ENMarkUpSession] ERROR: >Mark Up< -[ENMarkUpSession endSession] saveIfDirty failed: Error Domain=CoreSkitch Code=-1 "Unable to save document." UserInfo=0x1148cf640 {NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to save document.}

I habe exactly the same problem in a pdf file. It works a couple of times, but then I get the message of "unable to save". This means a lot work is gone. Afterwards it is not possible to make any changes.

I contacted the customer service, bit only got a lame answer.....

Yes, the same problem and a little more of erratic behaviour

i open a pdf to annotate by clicking the skitch icon available in the pdf doc, not top right

firstly, it behaves erratic, sometimes it opens in the builtin skitch

and sometimes in mac Preview app (which means u can't edit in skitch)

i keep clicking the skitch icon few times, it keeps opening in Preview

and then randomly would open in skitch

i then annotate a 15 page pdf, then click the cross mark on top left to close and save

i get a pop up - unable to save

pdf closes, all annotations lost

sometimes is able to save with annotations

erratic in two ways -

opening in skitch/Preview

save/unable to save

i am on EN Version 5.4.1 (402012)

Macbook Pro / 10.8.5

Addressing a few issues here:

For those having issues with Evernote as the source for PDF markup can all (any) of you confirm the following:

• Are you all using Evernote 5.4.1 and Skitch 2.7? (MKP it looks like you have the right version of Evernote, but what version of Skitch are you running?)
  • Are you marking up any PDF found in any Note, or just a PDF that says "Made in Skitch"?
  • When you open the PDF are you just clicking on the Markup icon (Arrow, Text, and Stamp icon) or are you right clicking and selecting Skitch?

@MKP - When you say you click on the icon in the PDF you mean the "Arrow, Text, and Stamp icon) located in the PDF rendering (next to the eyeball)? If you click the Eyeball you are opening up the quick view in Evernote (similar to preview), if you click the Markup icon then you'll enter markup.

@MKP - Also when you say "randomly open in skitch" do you mean it loaded the Skitch app, or simply the Markup feature? This is important since clicking the Markup icon in the PDF should just open Markup feature and not Skitch. 

What you might be running into is some inconsistently between a few of the icons. Clicking on the Markup icon in the PDF loads up Evernote's markup feature and clicking on the Markup icon in the toolbar at the top of the screen for a "Made with Skitch" note loads Skitch. Yes, this is confusing and something we're fixing.

@Southdowns - You're saying you're having issues with Skitch 2.7 and saving PDFs out of Skitch? Can you give me some more details? I just tested every combination of a PDF (existing & new), Drag Me, Export, and all save options and each time I was able to save a PDF to my desktop. I'm running 2.7 and Mavericks and saw no issues. 

@Joe, see http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45136-just-wasted-a-complete-afternoon/

I've since discovered that it only happens with certain pdf's, one of which is here: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s15/sh/c5bd4ff9-3574-4014-9086-e64f6afa6929/60b7f8c0c7224a82be5756e2c3f2494b

I can't paste the log as it crashes your forum every time I try. I'll give it a go with nothing else below.

Joe, thank you for a prompt reply

i became a premium member just 2 months back & this was my first post

am collecting more observations & feedback, will post all together in few days

but what version of Skitch are you running?

am using Skitch Version 2.7 (263181)

• Are you marking up any PDF found in any Note, or just a PDF that says "Made in Skitch"?

Yes, i am talking about pdfs attached (added) in the note itself

for eg: i have a note containing 9 pdfs

• When you open the PDF are you just clicking on the Markup icon (Arrow, Text, and Stamp icon) or are you right clicking and selecting Skitch?

Yes, am talking about clicking the mark-up icon

@MKP - When you say you click on the icon in the PDF you mean the "Arrow, Text, and Stamp icon) located in the PDF rendering (next to the eyeball)? If you click the Eyeball you are opening up the quick view in Evernote (similar to preview), if you click the Markup icon then you'll enter markup.

Yes, am talking about the mark-up icon only (not the quick view)

like i said before - clicking on mark-up icon randomly opens the pdf in Preview Mac App, and sometimes opens it correctly in the mark-up feature

RANDOM :-)

@MKP - Also when you say "randomly open in skitch" do you mean it loaded the Skitch app, or simply the Markup feature? This is important since clicking the Markup icon in the PDF should just open Markup feature and not Skitch. 

No, it never opens in the mac Skitch app

by randomly i mean - either Preview app or the Mark-up feature

actually, i never use the mac skitch app separately

since the mark-up feature in EN is a brilliant idea

it just needs to work properly :-)

if this info helps - i downloaded & bought Evernote from mac app store (and not direct download)

Hi Joe,

I have two tickets for this problem (#199320 for english support, and 199284 for spanish)

Actvity log are in my first post, and I also send the note with the PDF that have the problem in enex format to support ( both of them). The problem is 100% reproducible.

None of them could give me a solution.

The strange thing is that I can edit, modify and save the same PDF using android version of evernote (on my cell phone), but after saving it, continues with the same problem in the version for mac

The problem began with EN 5.4.1 and skitch 2.6.2, but stll remains with skitch 2.7 (with the same file, I don't know for new PDF files)

The steps to reproduce the problem are:

1) Click on the Markup icon (Arrow, Text, and Stamp icon) near to Eyeball.

2) Add a markup (or delete a previous markup) in the PDF file,

3) Click on the little circle with a cross, top left.

4) Error message 'Unable to save document'

Hope this helps in finding a solution.

I followed rbianchi's idea and tried marking up the same pdf in Evernote on my mobile device, in my case an iPad. I can mark up OK, but the app crashes as soon as I tap on save. 100% reproducible, and I sent the crash report offered by the app when I relaunched it.

Joe, thank you for a prompt reply

i became a premium member just 2 months back & this was my first post

am collecting more observations & feedback, will post all together in few days

but what version of Skitch are you running?

am using Skitch Version 2.7 (263181)

Yes, i am talking about pdfs attached (added) in the note itself

for eg: i have a note containing 9 pdfs

Yes, am talking about clicking the mark-up icon

Yes, am talking about the mark-up icon only (not the quick view)

like i said before - clicking on mark-up icon randomly opens the pdf in Preview Mac App, and sometimes opens it correctly in the mark-up feature

RANDOM :-)

No, it never opens in the mac Skitch app

by randomly i mean - either Preview app or the Mark-up feature

actually, i never use the mac skitch app separately

since the mark-up feature in EN is a brilliant idea

it just needs to work properly :-)

if this info helps - i downloaded & bought Evernote from mac app store (and not direct download)

Thanks for the details. We have discovered that Evernote 5.4.1 has an issue where it can (and not consistently) open up another app when clicking on Markup for a particular PDF. It isn't clear what the cause is, but we're investigating. As soon as we have the root cause we'll fix the issue for a future update. Unfortunately there is no work around at this time. 

Hi Joe,

I have two tickets for this problem (#199320 for english support, and 199284 for spanish)

Actvity log are in my first post, and I also send the note with the PDF that have the problem in enex format to support ( both of them). The problem is 100% reproducible.

None of them could give me a solution.

The strange thing is that I can edit, modify and save the same PDF using android version of evernote (on my cell phone), but after saving it, continues with the same problem in the version for mac

The problem began with EN 5.4.1 and skitch 2.6.2, but stll remains with skitch 2.7 (with the same file, I don't know for new PDF files)

The steps to reproduce the problem are:

1) Click on the Markup icon (Arrow, Text, and Stamp icon) near to Eyeball.

2) Add a markup (or delete a previous markup) in the PDF file,

3) Click on the little circle with a cross, top left.

4) Error message 'Unable to save document'

Hope this helps in finding a solution.

Any chance you can send me the PDF in a private message? It might be something specific to this PDF.

Hmm, it looks as if Skitch Mac has tried to save the annotated pdf to Evernote, but it's a blank document: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s15/sh/35c42609-3076-49c4-bdc3-1354e308699e/a640c05144f5f586633afdec2759b88a

Southdowns - Can you send me the PDF in a private message. Do you know if this is an encrypted PDF? The behavior you're describing can rear its head if this is a read only or encrypted PDF. 

Joe the pdf is linked in post #10 above. It's not encrypted. For what it's worth, Skitch 1 has no trouble with individual pages from it.

I know you're busy, but can I just check that you received my reply in our private discussion please, and intend to reply?

@Joe

Thanks for the details. We have discovered that Evernote 5.4.1 has an issue where it can (and not consistently) open up another app when clicking on Markup for a particular PDF. It isn't clear what the cause is, but we're investigating. As soon as we have the root cause we'll fix the issue for a future update. Unfortunately there is no work around at this time. 

Happy to help

part one of the problem has been discovered

part two remains - unable to save the document (annotated), as also described by rbianchi

@Southdowns

We are looking at the PDF file that you posted as an example of the issue that you are reporting. I am able to reproduce an issue with that file (Skitch is hanging after adding an annotation and then scrolling). We are investigating what may be causing the issue.

Thanks,

Lester 

@Southdowns

We think we have fixed the issue with the PDF that you posted, but we are wondering how you made it. Is there possibly an issue with the way the PDFs are being generated that is causing problems?

Thanks,

Lester

Joe the pdf is linked in post #10 above. It's not encrypted. For what it's worth, Skitch 1 has no trouble with individual pages from it.

I know you're busy, but can I just check that you received my reply in our private discussion please, and intend to reply?

Hi southdowns,

There is definitely an issue with the PDF that you are trying to annotate. There is an issue with the table of offsets to objects in the file. The file's table is incorrect which is causing us to crash. You might want to find a different PDF file generator or notify someone about the issue with the software that you are using. In the meantime we have put in a workaround in Skitch to deal with this type of problem. Stay tuned for notification of availability of the fix.

Thanks,

Lestre

Hi southdowns,

There is definitely an issue with the PDF that you are trying to annotate. There is an issue with the table of offsets to objects in the file. The file's table is incorrect which is causing us to crash. You might want to find a different PDF file generator or notify someone about the issue with the software that you are using. In the meantime we have put in a workaround in Skitch to deal with this type of problem. Stay tuned for notification of availability of the fix.

Thanks,

Lestre

But as I said, it's not my software :) these files were sent to me by a client, so I have no control over how they were made.

Anyway, I'm glad you've managed to find the cause.

Sorry about that. I saw that after I posted my reply.

As a temporary workaround for files from that client it appears that opening the file in Adobe Acrobat Reader first and then doing a Save As repairs the file. Once I did that, I was able to annotate the file in Skitch.

Thanks,

Lester

I wanted to say that I am having trouble with PDF markup in every client I try it on.

A PDF I have saved in Evernote needed a few marks. On my Mac, the marks cannot be seen until I save. I unfortunately did not know that, and now there are quite a few random arrows on the document that I can't remove.

After that didn't work, I thought "I'll just open it on my iPhone and delete the random arrows and worry about more complex markings later." On the iPhone, I could make annotations, but they would not save. Same thing on my iPad.

Then I thought, I'll just put the PDF in the Skitch app on my Mac and then save it to Evernote from there. Unfortunately, I'm getting an error saying I can't save in Skitch either.

I'm currently using the latest Skitch on Mavericks. Evernote is 5.4.1 (from Mac App Store). Most recent versions of iOS and Evernote.

Thanks for making great products. I don't know what I'd do without them. And thank you for working to correct these issues. Let me know if I can give you any information that will help.

Thanks.

Update:

I downloaded Evernote 5.4.2 straight from Evernote. The problem with annotations being invisible until saving went away, but now I cannot save my PDF at all. What's interesting to me is that in 5.4.1 I was able to save a PDF once with the random annotations I made because I couldn't see them, but save the PDF once I had deleted those stray marks.

As a side note from having read through this thread, both PDFs were sent to me by others. I have no idea what was used to create them.

Hi Craig,

Have you tried a PDF that was not sent to you by others? Is the issue with just those PDFs or is it all PDFs? 

If you get an error message can you tell me what it is?

Thanks,

Lester

I just tested it on a PDF I made, and it works fine.

The only error message I get is "Unable to save document."

Thanks.

Hi Craig,

Have you tried a PDF that was not sent to you by others? Is the issue with just those PDFs or is it all PDFs? 

If you get an error message can you tell me what it is?

Thanks,

Lester

I just tested it on a PDF I made, and it works fine.

The only error message I get is "Unable to save document."

Thanks.

Yea, unfortunately those PDFs were not saved correctly by version 5.4.1. Are you able to start over with the original PDFs?

Thanks,

Lester

• 9 months later...

i just hit this bug :(

what's the status of this issue?  I'm using Evernote 5.5.2  attempting to annotate the attached PDF

I just lost 2 hours of annotations and kinda bummed about it :(   i'm glad this issue is known though.

I haven't hit "OK" on the dialog box for "Unable to save document"   - I'm hoping there is a way to recover a temporary file with the annotations?

I counted 674 instances of this error in my log file:

2014-08-13 11:44:25  [ENMarkUpSession] ERROR: >Mark Up< __39-[ENMarkUpSession heartBeatTimerFired:]_block_invoke saveIfDirty failed: Error Domain=CoreSkitch Code=-1 "Unable to save document." UserInfo=0x1201070d0 {NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to save document.}

it would be nice if Evernote reported this error *much* sooner to the user so there wouldn't be so much grief...

missed the PDF attachment: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/aba1b49d-5351-4893-8bcb-5d4fb99a5e40/33794bc6968f88e605d6ac93331a12b3

btw - i should add the Skitch window is still open in the background... so the annotations are still in "memory" per se....

post-47818-0-12186500-1407961879_thumb.p

I'm not hitting "OK" because I don't want this window to go away...

is there a workaround to get the focus back on the window so I may scroll through the annotated PDF & take a bunch of screen snapshots?

it would save a lot of work!

i decided to take the gulp on this one - good news it took only an hour to redo the annotations.   I found it a bit easier to do highlighting-type annotations in Preview.app - there are less clicks overall to switch colors and between highlighting and added text boxes in particular.

I hope Evernote fixes this issue soon.  I'm going to do all my annotations in Preview until this issues is addressed.

• 2 months later...

Why the F is this not fixed? 

Why add features that are broken? 

Evernote is the least viable of all products that seem to have common usage - I have never ever been happy with it, and this is the worst yet. Dumped a bunch of work. 

Just fix it and stop asking stupid questions of users which you should work out by just testing it properly. 

Thanks - peeved because paying for Premium, and not finding the value. 

@jmanooch - Would it be possible for you to PM me a copy of the PDF that you were using? Unfortunately, no amount of testing can catch all issues with all PDFs. The only way to fix it is by asking questions and getting a sample of the PDF that caused the issue.

Thanks,

Lester

• 4 months later...

This makes the annotation tool useless. How can I use a tool, when I can't be sure, that my work ist going to be saved? It's a shame, and it's even more than that, that evernote has obviously not been able to fix that bug for years (this thread started in fall 2013 and the problem is still there).

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I seem to have the exact same problem. I was working on a specific PDF file, highlighting passages and writing notes and when I finished I got the message "unable to save document" and all the work I did on the pdf was lost. It happened around three times so far. The weird thing is that it works perfectly with other PDF, only crashes once in a while and I could not find any similarities between the three PDF on which the changes were not saved. This is getting pretty annoying as working on the PDF is becoming kind of playing russian roulette, never knowing if my work will be saved. I had to stop working with Evernote because of that, could you let me know when the issue is fixed? 

Archived