Import 2010 Outlook "Notes" in Evernote

I am very baffled here... I keep reading posts and technical data on how to do this,, but seriously it does not work for me. I even tried downloading some guys "script", and for some reason cant do that..!@#$@&%!

I have about 300 notes in Outlook 2010 version, saved in a .pst file format. I want to import them into a new version of Evernote just installed on my PC running Windows 8 software...

Apparently I am an idiot and cant understand instructions well or am missing something.. Can someone please help?.

Surely Evernote understands that there are many people like me who want to use their program but for Gods sake do not want to type their already existing hundreds of Notes into their new program in order to use it...

Thank somebody,

James

• Level 5*

Haven't had the need to read up on the subject,  but a quick search suggests there are utilities out there that can change a PST file into formats that Evernote should be able to read...  you've obviously got the exporting bit done - what's the problem with converting the notes into something readable like HTML or text?

• Level 5*

Google (or your individual search engine of choice) is often your best friend when it comes to technical matters - or anything else for that matter.  Outlook 2013 is my current version,  but from dim memory 2010 was exactly the same - and it will export content to either CSV (comma-separated-values) or PST files (Office compatible).  Once you have your output file you can look to convert it into something transportable into Evernote - and this is not necessarily using Evernote's Import fuinction;  as long as you can cut/ paste files or contents in some way into notes - like from individual web pages - you can get your data safely into Evernote.

There's no major mystery about converting files - search for "convert PST to HTML" forinstance and there are downloadable apps or web pages willing to do that for you.  I'm not a user of any of them,  so can't advise you on the best route,  but if you can find one that will create individual web pages out of your notes,  you could view the pages in your browser and clip them into Evernote with Clipper or Clearly,  or (if you're a Windows user) set up an Import Folder and just dump html files in there to be imported (like it says on the can) into Evernote.

Tech savvy or not,  this will probably require some experiment on your part,  and to avoid messing with your Outlook or Evernote content I'd strongly recommend 1) backup your exported Outlook PST file and use a copy for all experiments.  2) backup your Evernote database before you start doing any of this just in case - search around the forums for more how-tos on that - and 3) set up a new notebook to hold all your imports while you find a method that works,  then delete all its contents before you do a 'clean' import of all your Outlook information.

If anyone else has actually done this maybe you'll get a further comment as to preferred methods - if not,  I can only suggest that you play around with the task and see what works.  Practical experiment is the only way to find out what works for your data..

• 1 month later...

A little late to reply here, but I just went through this too. I did not attempt an exporting has a csv file or pst file. I found a suggestion somewhere that is much simpler.

Make sure Outlook is closed. Install Evernote. Log in to Evernote. Open Outlook. There should be a "Add to Evernote" toolbar button. Even if there is not, you should be able to do the following:

1. Set up a folder in Evernote for your Outlook Notes (optional, but I wanted all my Outlook Notes to NOT be imported into the same folder as other Evernote Notes):

If you want your Outlook Notes in a particular Evernote folder, in Evernote create the folder that you want the Outlook Notes to go to by clicking "File" on the Menu bar > "New Notebook" (or just hit ctrl+shift+n). A pop-up window opens where you name your Notebook (I selected the "synchronized notebook" radio button to ensure I have access to these notes on other computers and/or devices).

2. In Outlook, go to your Notes, select one of the Notes (don't double-click on it to open it, just have it highlighted), then on the menu bar click edit > select all. All of your Outlook Notes should be highlighted.

Right-click on the highlighted Notes and select "Add to Evernote".

An Evernote pop-up window comes up where you can specify any particular tags you want on the notes, and select the Notebook from the dropdown list you want the Notes to be imported into.

Click on "Add Notes".

Your Outlook Notes will now import into Evernote.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Great tip....I'm a new outlook user and this simple import method is wonderful. 

One question: when I send notes from outlook into evernote the note created date is the current time.  Is there anyway to change the import behavior so that the "date created" field in evernote reflects the actual date/time of the receipt of the email.  It is a longshot, but I figured I would ask.

• Level 5*

Great tip....I'm a new outlook user and this simple import method is wonderful. 

One question: when I send notes from outlook into evernote the note created date is the current time.  Is there anyway to change the import behavior so that the "date created" field in evernote reflects the actual date/time of the receipt of the email.  It is a longshot, but I figured I would ask.

Short answer: no - suggestion;  add a tag to your imports and make it a point to go through those tagged notes at a later date and change the individual dates manually,  or add YYYYMMDD to the title.

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

My work PC does not allow me to install evernote, and I will like to copy my notes into my account so I can have access to them from different platforms. Any help will be appreciated. I'm running outlook 2010 and would like to import/copy my notes into evernote.

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

A little late to reply here, but I just went through this too. I did not attempt an exporting has a csv file or pst file. I found a suggestion somewhere that is much simpler.

Make sure Outlook is closed. Install Evernote. Log in to Evernote. Open Outlook. There should be a "Add to Evernote" toolbar button. Even if there is not, you should be able to do the following:

1. Set up a folder in Evernote for your Outlook Notes (optional, but I wanted all my Outlook Notes to NOT be imported into the same folder as other Evernote Notes):

If you want your Outlook Notes in a particular Evernote folder, in Evernote create the folder that you want the Outlook Notes to go to by clicking "File" on the Menu bar > "New Notebook" (or just hit ctrl+shift+n). A pop-up window opens where you name your Notebook (I selected the "synchronized notebook" radio button to ensure I have access to these notes on other computers and/or devices).

2. In Outlook, go to your Notes, select one of the Notes (don't double-click on it to open it, just have it highlighted), then on the menu bar click edit > select all. All of your Outlook Notes should be highlighted.

Right-click on the highlighted Notes and select "Add to Evernote".

An Evernote pop-up window comes up where you can specify any particular tags you want on the notes, and select the Notebook from the dropdown list you want the Notes to be imported into.

Click on "Add Notes".

Your Outlook Notes will now import into Evernote.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I have Outlook 2010 and evernote 5.

I followed your steps.

I got an error message "Evernote

An error occurred while processing clipped data (import failed: MISSING_NOTE_TITLE)." after I click "Add Notes".

How to overcome this?

Regards

• Level 5*

Sounds like on or more of your notes doesn't have a title (the error message says it all..).  Try importing the notes in smaller batches so that you can identify the one(s) that are causing the issue,  and make sure they have suitable titles before attempting to add them - or copy and paste them across if there's something wrong with the format of the title.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks gazumped!

I have about 2000 notes in my Outlook. I cannot find the ones that prevents me from exporting 2000 notes to Evernote.

Also, Evernote opens a window for every note it managed to import. Opening 2000 windows would crash any computer!

How to prevent Evernote from opening a window for every note it manages to import?

Regards

• Level 5*

As I said;  choose batches of 100 or so notes at a time.  If one batch won't copy,  try half that batch - keep on trying smaller numbers of notes until you identify the offending one(s).  Leave it/ them and process the rest - then use cut and paste to transfer the information to a new Evernote if necessary...

The Outlook clipper is governed by the same options as the browser clipper - some in your browser,  and others in Evernote > Tools > Options > Clipper in the Windows desktop application.  (Might be Preferences > Clipper in Mac).  This last window has an "open clipped note in new window" box which you should untick.

Archived