(Archived) characters displayed in tag view name window?

pleasemakeitwork

Idea

in 5.4 in the tag view page that shows all the tags and each tag's name in a little window, do you know what the max number of characters including spaces that each little tag name window will display.  in know that a tag name can be up to 100 characters, but my question is addressed to the little tag name window.  in 5.3 the max shown is 22.  do you know what the max is in 5.4? btw i asked Support and they told me that they have no idea and they have no way to find out. thanks

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5

The limit is based on the length, not the number of characters. if your tag’s name only has the letter i in it, you can get in 50+ characters before it gets truncated, but if it only has W, you can only fit 13. The average would be somewhere in between.

thanks for the information. This makes intuitive sense in the a fat w takes up more screen real estate than a skinny i.  does this system for evaluating space limitations for characters have a generic name? The Google and I would like to learn more about it. thanks again

thanks. i am wondering what you are basing your posting on.  if it is trade secret material based on your experience in the relevant industry (without coming close to identifying any of the particulars), well ok fine.  but if that is not the basis, i still would love to figure this out b efore i accept en 5.4 thanks again

• Level 5

Well, I knew from previous discussions with our developers that we often truncate displayed strings based on ‘physical’ length and not on character count, so I guessed that we might be doing the same thing here. I created a few new tags in a test account and confirmed my hypothesis.

Archived