(Archived) Unable to determine privacy setting of notebooks

Hi, I'm a new user of Evernote and the interface is mostly intuitive, save for a few things. I have a few questions.

1) How do I tell whether a notebook is public or private?

Biggest offender. On my ios phone there is absolutely no option to see whether my notebook is public or private. I currently have evernote for windows installed on my computer, but I've looked through the interface twice and was unable to find a setting for whether the notebook was private or not. This is contrary to what I read in this topic (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38821-how-do-i-make-my-public-notebook-private/) which says you can 'check the web client and see what the notebook status is there'. I can see no such status. I have tried the getting started guide and google, but found no responses that helped. I also tried clicking on properties > sharing and collaborating options but similarly was not informed of whether my notebook was public or private.

2) I read elsewhere that you are presented with the option of choosing to create either a 'private' or a 'public' notebook when creating a notebook. I tried creating a notebook and was presented with no such option, only a name to fill in. Am I doing something wrong?

3) By default, are notebooks private or public? I'm referring to the one you have when you first create your evernote account.

4) How do I make a notebook private?

5) What is the difference between a public notebook and a shared notebook?

I chanced upon this blog post: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/01/18/the-benefits-of-public-and-shared-notebooks/

It marked a distinction between 'public' and 'shared'- at first I thought 'public' meant something would become searchable, and that 'shared' produced a link that you would need to use to access the notebook. However, this post (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/28447-finding-public-notebooks/) seems to contradict that notion. Is there actually a difference? If so, what is it?

• Level 5*

Hi, I'm a new user of Evernote and the interface is mostly intuitive, save for a few things. I have a few questions.

1) How do I tell whether a notebook is public or private?

Biggest offender. On my ios phone there is absolutely no option to see whether my notebook is public or private. I currently have evernote for windows installed on my computer, but I've looked through the interface twice and was unable to find a setting for whether the notebook was private or not. This is contrary to what I read in this topic (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38821-how-do-i-make-my-public-notebook-private/) which says you can 'check the web client and see what the notebook status is there'. I can see no such status. I have tried the getting started guide and google, but found no responses that helped. I also tried clicking on properties > sharing and collaborating options but similarly was not informed of whether my notebook was public or private.

2) I read elsewhere that you are presented with the option of choosing to create either a 'private' or a 'public' notebook when creating a notebook. I tried creating a notebook and was presented with no such option, only a name to fill in. Am I doing something wrong?

3) By default, are notebooks private or public? I'm referring to the one you have when you first create your evernote account.

4) How do I make a notebook private?

5) What is the difference between a public notebook and a shared notebook?

I chanced upon this blog post: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/01/18/the-benefits-of-public-and-shared-notebooks/

It marked a distinction between 'public' and 'shared'- at first I thought 'public' meant something would become searchable, and that 'shared' produced a link that you would need to use to access the notebook. However, this post (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/28447-finding-public-notebooks/) seems to contradict that notion. Is there actually a difference? If so, what is it?

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Evernote notebooks are private and synced to Evernote servers by default, but you can create local notebooks on the desktops, share existing synced notebooks, or join someone else's shared notebooks. Here is some more information:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=425

I read the blog, but am still unable to find the status bar that shows whether a notebook is public, shared or private.

Are there any pictures indicating the location of the status bar in the windows client? Or, if I'm totally blind and it also exists in the ios client, where is it?

• Level 5*

I read the blog, but am still unable to find the status bar that shows whether a notebook is public, shared or private.

Are there any pictures indicating the location of the status bar in the windows client? Or, if I'm totally blind and it also exists in the ios client, where is it?

Hi. On iOS there is no way to tell if a notebook is shared or not. Thanks for pointing that out. OSX puts a three person mark underneath the title to show that it is shared. I think Windows has something similar, but I don't have my Windows machine with me at the moment to check. 

• Level 5*

In the Windows client, right-click on the notebook in the notebooks list in the left panel. Select Properties. In the ensuing popup, select "Sharing and collaboration options". You'll be brought to a web page for that notebook. If you've previously shared the notebook, you should see a list of the people with whom you shared it. If not, no list. In both cases, you will be able to share from that page.

• Level 5*

Hi Jefito. So, there is no way to tell if a notebook is shared, joined, or owned just by looking at it, right? I guess that means you would have to click on all 250 (assuming you had the maximum amount) to figure that out. I'd say this would be a nice feature to have (Mac has it). 

• Level 5*

Hi Jefito. So, there is no way to tell if a notebook is shared, joined, or owned just by looking at it, right? I guess that means you would have to click on all 250 (assuming you had the maximum amount) to figure that out. I'd say this would be a nice feature to have (Mac has it). 

Right, at least not as far as I can tell. An icon (or other indication) has been requested. by me and others for the Win 5 client. So far, nothing showing.

• Level 5*

The list is at the top of the web page that you get when you click on the "Sharing and collaborations options" link I mentioned earlier; the list is shown under the heading "Manage Permissions". If you see no such heading and associated list, you have not shared the notebook with anyone.

• Level 5*

Okay. I do not have access to my PC at the moment, but if I am understanding this correctly does this mean that I can only share evernote notebooks with people who have evernote accounts?

No. As you can see by my shared notebook (see link in my signature), you can share with anyone using a public link. If you invite individuals and restrict the notebook to users who have signed in, then only account holders can access it.

• Level 5*

Right, at least not as far as I can tell. An icon (or other indication) has been requested. by me and others for the Win 5 client. So far, nothing showing.

Actually yes and no.  In the left pane, as you mention, there is no indication but in the middle pane, if you press the down arrow next to All Notes it shows all of the notebooks with icons.  That is what I use to check.  The icons are light gray but you can still tell between local, sync'd and shared.  Why they don't use these icons next to the folders in the left pane is a mystery.  Shortcuts have icons to distinguish between saved searches and notes, which I find of little value, but folders don't, which (I think) would be of more value.

It is also a mystery to me why they don't allow us to put Shortcuts in the toolbar ... but that is another topic.

• Level 5*

Actually yes and no.  In the left pane, as you mention, there is no indication but in the middle pane, if you press the down arrow next to All Notes it shows all of the notebooks with icons.  That is what I use to check.  The icons are light gray but you can still tell between local, sync'd and shared.

Yes, but that's about the least discoverable place in the application for someone to figure this out.

Why they don't use these icons next to the folders in the left pane is a mystery.  Shortcuts have icons to distinguish between saved searches and notes, which I find of little value, but folders don't, which (I think) would be of more value.

Indeed. I and others have raised a very similar point.
  • Level 5*

Actually yes and no.  In the left pane, as you mention, there is no indication but in the middle pane, if you press the down arrow next to All Notes it shows all of the notebooks with icons.  That is what I use to check.  The icons are light gray but you can still tell between local, sync'd and shared.

Yes, but that's about the least discoverable place in the application for someone to figure this out.

Yes, that is why I mentioned it, in case others weren't aware.

Archived