Evernote "Not responding"

1,190 notes in trash?  Really?  I have 25 notes there and that's overdue for a clear-out!  I don't know for sure,  but if you add and delete notes from any notebook Evernote has to update its index so that you can (or can't) find those notes again by a variety of key bits of information most of that action could be held in memory for search speed and efficiency until Evernote is closed.  A 'reasonable' amount of hesitation* is OK while Evernote does the housekeeping,  but if you're getting serious lag - after trying all the suggestions in the forums - then that's worth a support ticket.

* For your personal interpretation of reasonable

There were that many items in trash because I mistakenly deleted a notebook that I shouldn't have and EN syncing kicked in before I could stop it. Long story...

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Level 5*

I am learning that immediately I discover such mistakes I need to turn off syncing completely. I have had a couple of situations (not involving trash, fortunately) where a large number of notes were synced to the server that should not have been. The deletion/moving of large numbers of notes can take a long time!

I am learning that immediately I discover such mistakes I need to turn off syncing completely. I have had a couple of situations (not involving trash, fortunately) where a large number of notes were synced to the server that should not have been. The deletion/moving of large numbers of notes can take a long time!

How do you turn it off when it is already sync'ing (it seems to start sync'ing automagically once you change a note or folder)

• 3 weeks later...

Since yesterday I can't start Evernote, it just does not respond at all. I uninstalled EN, cleaned the registry with CCleaner, and downloaded EN 5.6. But it still does not respond at start-up. I also inactivated the Windows Search Feature as mentioned above. I think I had EN5.0 before

What else can I do? And where would I find an earlier version to download?

Since yesterday I can't start Evernote, it just does not respond at all. I uninstalled EN, cleaned the registry with CCleaner, and downloaded EN 5.6. But it still does not respond at start-up. I also inactivated the Windows Search Feature as mentioned above. I think I had EN5.0 before

I"m sure you've already done this, but every time I've had this problem, I had to go in to process manager and kill all Evernote processes. After that, it typically starts just fine, although it sounds like you might have a more aggressive problem here.

I"m sure you've already done this, but every time I've had this problem, I had to go in to process manager and kill all Evernote processes. After that, it typically starts just fine, although it sounds like you might have a more aggressive problem here.

Thanks for answering. Looking back I realize that I have had some problem for a couple of weeks, EN would load really slowly (took about 5 minutes), but would eventually start. Now it does not seem to get there at all, but the computer is working really hard, fan is blowing, and it gets really hot; so then I have to end the application and processes. I am at my wits end

Hey Evernote Community,

I wanted to outline some similar "not responding issues" I have been having on Evernote for Windows for over 1.5 months.  I am running Windows 7 64-bit SP1 and Evernote version 5.6.2.4351 (272351) Pre release.  I have 1450 notes and 13 notebooks.

I have hesitated to upgrade to the latest public version because I've done that twice since my issues started but the performance issues continued.

Issues

1.  Evernote takes over 4 minutes to start every time I reboot my PC and then restart Evernote.

2.  Evernote takes over 3 minutes for me to create a new notebook.

3.  Evernote takes over 5 minutes when I change user accounts (i only have two).

Troubleshooting already completed

1.  Uninstalled and re-installed Evernote

2.  Uninstalled Evernote completely and re-downloaded the entire database from Evernote servers.

2.  Turned off Outlook add-in.

3.  Optimized the database using instructions from support.

4.  Changed the Evernote performance setting in Windows Task Manager to "high"

5.  Logged a ticket with support who is still looking into my issue.  Support has had my case for roughly two weeks.

Question

1.  Where does this leave me?  I believe it means I have a corrupt note or some sort but have no clue how to diagnose that without spending hours of life trying to pinpoint it.

Does anyone have other suggestions I should try?

It's become enough of an issue that I am considering switching to another platform (until the issue gets resolved).

That's the problem. Between all of us here in this thread, we've tried pretty much everything with very few results. It seems like not enough people are experiencing this issue, otherwise the EN people would be more aggressive about tracking it down. Their tech support was tenacious, but they never came up with a solution. For me, pausing my computer's indexing seemed to help for a while, but then the problem returned. It's maddening. I started dabbling with other platforms, myself. Haven't found any that I like as much as EN (when it's working.) Still, at some point, the switch will have to be made.

Hey Evernote Community,

I wanted to outline some similar "not responding issues" I have been having on Evernote for Windows for over 1.5 months. 

/snip/

I believe it means I have a corrupt note or some sort but have no clue how to diagnose that without spending hours of life trying to pinpoint it.

Does anyone have other suggestions I should try?

It's become enough of an issue that I am considering switching to another platform (until the issue gets resolved).

Same story here. 

QUESTION: Has anybody come across a speedy, sensible way to track down possible offending "corrupt" notes and purge them? I may have *six* such notes on WinPC. (online, Android and iPad all have 8170 notes but on Windows version I have 8176 including six bad guys. ) 

uninstalling / purging / regEtit / yadayada bring no joy. 

• Level 5*

Ah.  If this is Windows,  logs seem to reside in C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs.  Any likely looking files there?

Edit:  -and no,  if your problem is with the desktop app,  syncing the web version won't help.

Ah.  If this is Windows,  logs seem to reside in C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs.  Any likely looking files there?

Edit:  -and no,  if your problem is with the desktop app,  syncing the web version won't help.

I did check the C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs folder, but it is empty, possibly because I re-installed Evernote? There were AppLogs in C:\Users\<yourname>\Evernote\Logs folder, but not being a tech person, I have no clue what they mean, although I think they are from when I use my phone App.

I am at my wits end

Afina

I did an audit this morning and all of my Windows notes are also on web with the exception of one local notebook (which needs to stay local) and one notebook that I'm linked to from another source for which I only have read access.  So i have a valid 13 note discrepancy.  Additionally, my Android tablet and phone Evernote performance is excellent and I have no issues with either of those.

I do appreciate the tip on reviewing the log file.  I sent my activity log to support several times in this course of this but they have not come back with anything.  When I checked my log file this morning, I found this error:"

"Could not delete note 66627 tags, error: LINK_ATTR_NOT_FOUND".  I found several records like this where the "66627" is replaced a variety of other numbers, 11 different occurrences to be exact.

Does anyone know what this could mean?

• Level 5*

Hi afinab - you might have been distracted by the 'logs' reply #112,  which was aimed at @trainerdave;  you were complaining about a slowness - is that still the issue?  If so,  you may benefit from using free Revo software* to uninstall and reinstall everything,  or -provided you have no unsynced files- renaming your database file (Windows) and allowing the server to rebuild it.  There is a fair amount of information about how to do that in the forums,  but the most important rule is backup your database first - then if anything goes wrong,  the worst that can happen is you're in the same state as before you started.  If you need more help with any of that please post questions here...

Hi afinab - you might have been distracted by the 'logs' reply #112,  which was aimed at @trainerdave;  you were complaining about a slowness - is that still the issue?  If so,  you may benefit from using free Revo software* to uninstall and reinstall everything,  or -provided you have no unsynced files- renaming your database file (Windows) and allowing the server to rebuild it.  There is a fair amount of information about how to do that in the forums,  but the most important rule is backup your database first - then if anything goes wrong,  the worst that can happen is you're in the same state as before you started.  If you need more help with any of that please post questions here...

EN is not just slow, it doesn't respond at boot up after the upgrade (I let it wait 7 minutes, and still not responding). I think the slow boot-up problem started when the upgrade to EN 5 was installed, and after I uninstalled that and installed 5.6 it is unusable.  Is there any way to get EN 4 back again, or will that give problems with compatibility with the few notes I did manage to make in EN 5?

I do backup my database locally, as well as the sync to the server.

I notice that in the User/MyName/AppData/Local folder there are now two Evernote folders: one called Evernote (which contains the databases and attachment folders, and one named EvernoteNW, which from the date was created when I upgraded to EN5.6. It does not seem to contain a database folder, though.

I am sorry, if I make no sense. I really don't know much about computers, and it is very frustrating to me

Thanks for your patience

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I still think that Support would advise you to uninstall Evernote using Revo Uninstaller and to download and install the latest version to see if your database is sound.  If that doesn't work,  and after you have exported any local or unsynced notes and backed up the whole database separately,  you could rename the database file (Windows) and get the server to rebuild it.  Current performance isn't exactly great,  but you shouldn't find it unusably slow or locked.

I don't know if it is feasible to go back to an earlier version,  but if you have backed up your current files you could remove everything and reinstall 4.x (there are sources)..  If that doesn't work you could restore from your backups and still get back to the current situation.

Short term try emptying any Trash notebooks you can find,  correct any Conflicting Changes errors that might show up,  and log out of Evernote completely (File > Exit).  Then restart your system and log in again.  Sometimes the simple solutions are the best...

• Level 5*

I recently deleted the program using Revo uninstaller and reinstalled the latest beta. I used the same version of my database that I had been using previously. I am getting fewer hangs than before. However, I have a couple of questions that I haven't figured out an answer for:

1. Why, when I am a Premium user, do I have to load the ads that I don't display? Seems an unnecessary use of resources, and should be easy to check whether I have unchecked the "display ads" box. There are synchronizing, reporting, and retrieving stages.
  2. Why do i have four subtags that are skipped because the parent tag is as yet unsynced?
  3. Why do I have "Retrieving missing search text for 7 resources"

The elapsed time was 35 seconds, but the retrieving ads takes up most of that time. I have optimized the database a couple of times (before this last reinstall). Have no idea but wondered if this experience might help someone.

• Level 5*

I recently deleted the program using Revo uninstaller and reinstalled the latest beta. I used the same version of my database that I had been using previously. I am getting fewer hangs than before. However, I have a couple of questions that I haven't figured out an answer for:

1. Why, when I am a Premium user, do I have to load the ads that I don't display? Seems an unnecessary use of resources, and should be easy to check whether I have unchecked the "display ads" box. There are synchronizing, reporting, and retrieving stages.
  2. Why do i have four subtags that are skipped because the parent tag is as yet unsynced?
  3. Why do I have "Retrieving missing search text for 7 resources"

The elapsed time was 35 seconds, but the retrieving ads takes up most of that time. I have optimized the database a couple of times (before this last reinstall). Have no idea but wondered if this experience might help someone.

You may find that some of these anomalies are solved if you rebuild your database from the server - obviously being careful to take a backup first,  and export / re-import any local notebooks and unsynced notes.  I hadn't noticed that ads were downloaded although I don't display them - where did you get that confirmation?

Hi everybody,

This is getting ridiculous... I have the same problem on my Win7 computer, latest public version of EN and "not responding" permanently: at startup, everytime I edit a photo or webclipper note, everytime I empty the trash...

The CPU use is almost 100% during this time.

I just can't use it normally anymore.

And I just don't understand how come Evernote is not taking this problem seriously and try to smash it once and for all!

I'm just hoping at every release that this problem is solved and no... always the same since at least one year!

And by the way, I'm a Premium paying customer. I also tried every suggested solution: clean uninstall, clean reinstall, etc...

A fine software like EN can't have such a bug!

Win 7 Pro

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.93 GHz

4 Go RAM

32 bits

EN 5.6.4.4632 Public

PS: sorry for my english

I uninstalled EN5.6 with Revo (advanced mode) and deleted everything. Downloaded again, and it booted up quickly. Logged in, and it started syncing. It took more than 30 minutes to sync, but it seems to be working for now.

I did notice that the attachment folder was no longer in the database folder, although it reappeared when I opened an attachment. 

Thanks to all who told me to persevere

Afina

I supposed I can try the uninstall | delete everything and re install process again.  I'm not hopeful it will solve my issue but my Evernote for Windows performance is getting slower by the day and I'm out of options.

I will advise once I carve out some time and actually do this.

I did the Revo uninstall routine a good half dozen times without success. Of course, you always get that brief period of calm that makes you think you've got it licked. I'm at about four or five freezes a day lately, and it always seems to be an issue when I really need my notes in a hurry. I swear I've invented 100 new cuss words related exclusively to Evernote.

I have posted about this in another thread (search for "not responding") but wanted to chime in here that I have the same issue.  EN Windows stops responding repeatedly throughout the day -- like LF said, usually when I really need to take a note with it.  Generally it's when a client or supervisor is talking really fast on the phone expecting me to get something down, and I try to type in evernote and get a spinning cursor.

So then I find a pen on my desk and use pen and paper.  

Isn't that was EN was supposed to replace in the first place?  Wasn't it at one time about note taking?  Not anymore -- it is completely and utterly unreliable for that purpose.

I have rebuilt the database.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled.  I've upgraded.  Nothing helps.

I, too, can't believe EN is totally ignoring this problem (if they weren't ignoring it they'd be reaching out to those of us who can reproduce the issue, and they are not).  But apparently their business model is about being some kind of business platform now, so notetaking is no longer important.  Back to pen and paper.  

I have posted about this in another thread (search for "not responding") but wanted to chime in here that I have the same issue.  EN Windows stops responding repeatedly throughout the day -- like LF said, usually when I really need to take a note with it.  Generally it's when a client or supervisor is talking really fast on the phone expecting me to get something down, and I try to type in evernote and get a spinning cursor.

So then I find a pen on my desk and use pen and paper.  

Isn't that was EN was supposed to replace in the first place?  Wasn't it at one time about note taking?  Not anymore -- it is completely and utterly unreliable for that purpose.

I have rebuilt the database.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled.  I've upgraded.  Nothing helps.

I, too, can't believe EN is totally ignoring this problem (if they weren't ignoring it they'd be reaching out to those of us who can reproduce the issue, and they are not).  But apparently their business model is about being some kind of business platform now, so notetaking is no longer important.  Back to pen and paper.  

*slow clap* Agreed.

I am getting the "not responding" thing whenever I pull up a note with a PDF file and I try to scroll the PDF document. Takes about a minute to become responsive again.

I'm using version 5.6.4.4632 on a Windows 8.1 system.

I'm also getting the extremely slow startup and shutdown problems, this has been happening for maybe a month or so.

Very annoying.

I am getting the "not responding" thing whenever I pull up a note with a PDF file and I try to scroll the PDF document. Takes about a minute to become responsive again.

I'm also getting the extremely slow startup and shutdown problems, this has been happening for maybe a month or so.

Very annoying.

Came here to kill some time and reread this thread while waiting for Evernote to respond. One of the many times, I get not responding is this one with the PDF. If I wait long enough, I get a pop-up where I can turn something off for PDFs,which helps. If I don't and break out of Evernote, I have the 4-5 minute wait I always do when I first start it up.

I saw some old notes about reverting to an earlier version. Has anyone had recent success at this?

Very annoying.

Came here to kill some time and reread this thread while waiting for Evernote to respond. One of the many times, I get not responding is this one with the PDF. If I wait long enough, I get a pop-up where I can turn something off for PDFs,which helps. If I don't and break out of Evernote, I have the 4-5 minute wait I always do when I first start it up.

I saw some old notes about reverting to an earlier version. Has anyone had recent success at this?

I've tried reverting to earlier versions without success, although I don't specifically remember which versions I tried. This issue is as bad as ever for me lately. Not a day goes by without an Evernote Ten Avenue Freeze Out.

Just for grins, I thought I'd try the option to set all PDFs as attachments. Didn't help. Still several minute delay on startup. Another place I can guarantee a several minute Not Responding is creating a new notebook in a stack.

Hope EN is working on a fix for this mess. Although I am very heavily invested in the product at this time, I won't hesitate to drop it for another method.

Just an update from me.  I have upgraded to the latest public version, optimized my database 3 times, fixed all notes and fixed all resources.  Please keep in mind I had previously already uninstalled, completely deleted and re-installed and re-synced.

Same issues are prevalent:  Takes 2-5 minutes to start up and to create a new notebook.  Sync works fine and creating notes works fine.  However, these lags have done me in.  I create and delete notebooks frequently.

I am, as others have noted, heavily invested in Evernote as well.  However, I have tested One Note over the last few days and being a Microsoft Office & Windows user, it may just do the trick.  I've tested on Android and iOS as well.  I do not like the interface as well but the functionality works for me.  I'm going to give it a couple more weeks in the hope that support can fix my case and this general Windows performance issue.  If not, I will be making a switch until it gets resolved.   I am only waiting two weeks because work is very busy now and I just don't have the time to convert but I will in two weeks.

Here's hoping for a fix very soon.

Thanks to the community for all the great suggestions.  It's unfortunate none of them have panned out.

Just an update from me.  /snip/ I have tested One Note over the last few days and being a Microsoft Office & Windows user, it may just do the trick.  I've tested on Android and iOS as well.  I do not like the interface as well but the functionality works for me.  I'm going to give it a couple more weeks in the hope that support can fix my case and this general Windows performance issue.  If not, I will be making a switch until it gets resolved.   I am only waiting two weeks because work is very busy now and I just don't have the time to convert but I will in two weeks.

Here's hoping for a fix very soon.

Thanks to the community for all the great suggestions.  It's unfortunate none of them have panned out.

verbatim dittos from me. Thanks for the hot tip. Time for me to rev up one note on my PC and sync all with my android and iPad.

The "not responding" still locks things up for 30 seconds to two minutes with every use, multiple times over every 15-minute session. Not to mention the thrice-weekly program crash. Sorta takes all the fun out of the $49 per year expenditure. 

Hi all...

Quite surprisingly, it's been a week since I don't have the problem anymore!!! No more lagging on startup though sometimes it takes around a minute or two but much less than before... It(s just much faster... 

I didn't change version (Evernote for Windows 5.6.4.4632 GA).

The only thing I remember doing was to optimize the memory on my Win7 computer by using different tweaks found on the web (sorry the webpage I used is in french): http://www.tplpc.com/optimiser-memoire-vive-windows-7-01670.html

My PC is:

Win 7 Pro

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.93 GHz

4 Go RAM

32 bits

So maybe it's a memory problem after all? I don't know but frankly, it is much faster...

Yesterday, I used Revo to completely uninstall the SE Ironware browser. My reason? The installation of that program just happened to coincide with the emergence of my Evernote woes. It's too soon to say if it will have any effect, but wouldn't that just be grand? I'll be sure to let you know if this somehow fixes my problem. Anybody else using Iron?

Never heard of it before,  but interested to hear if it makes a difference...  :mellow:

It's based of Chrome. Sort of Chrome Lite, with all the creepy spy stuff hacked out. Like I say, all I'm going on is the timing of it. I don't want to disparage Iron because it is a decent browser. That said, if I stop having Evernote problems (haven't had any yet today, which is a marvel) than Iron ain't coming back.

It's the end of my day and I haven't had a single freeze up all day. I mean, that's significant. This is the first time that's happened in recent memory. Probably just a fluke, although I'm hopeful. If it DOES turn out to be that alternate browser causing the problem, wouldn't that suggest that there are programs that somehow conflict with EN? I don't know if that would solve the problem or make it more confusing.

/snip/ If it DOES turn out to be that alternate browser causing the problem, wouldn't that suggest that there are programs that somehow conflict with EN? I don't know if that would solve the problem or make it more confusing.

Watching this closely . .  my EN woes started kinda, sorta, about the time I plunged into Chrome use. 

/snip/ If it DOES turn out to be that alternate browser causing the problem, wouldn't that suggest that there are programs that somehow conflict with EN? I don't know if that would solve the problem or make it more confusing.

Watching this closely . .  my EN woes started kinda, sorta, about the time I plunged into Chrome use. 

Well, maybe we ARE onto something here because Iron is based on Chrome. Could be a conflict with a shared file or something. It's really strange that I didn't get any problems after uninstalling that program. I'll report back at the end of the day on my EN behavior. For what it's worth, I'm using Firefox as my primary browser right now. Now that I think of it, it's the only browser on my machine now that Iron is gone.

I don't know if the issue you guys are having is the same I have. Evernote starts nice, but after a little while it starts to lag, and opening a note becomes a 10s minimum task. I started this thread. I'm sorry if this is the same. I also opened a ticket on customer support. I have Evernote installed on a Win7 machine with the same user and I don't get this problem. Tried almost all the fixes described on this thread without success. Hope they'll fix it soon, it's ruining my productivity.

All,

After several communications with Evernote Support and an attempt to have me delete some specific files in my Evernote install folder, I decided to try for the 3rd time to completely uninstall and re install Evernote with a full sync to Windows from the Evernote server.

I have no idea why but the third time was the charm.  Previous attempts were the same with no luck but this time worked.  Evernote is now as speedy as it ever was!

Fingers crossed this stays the same.

• Level 5

• Google Keep

Excel

One Note

GoldMine

Never had to uninstall and reinstall any of these programs. Some have been on my computer for years and used daily.

But Evernote... I've uninstalled and reinstalled it 4 times this year in an attempt to address the "Not Responding" thumb-twiddling, get up and stretch, brew another cup of coffee moments.

Except for that one freeze up a few days ago, I haven't had one issue since. I have no idea if it's related to the uninstall of Iron or just coincidence. I probably shouldn't even bring it up. Just forget I said anything. I'll report back if it continues to be smooth sailing.

So, I tried something different from reinstalling several times. I don't think reinstalling three or four times is the solution. I think something in between the reinstallations that fix the issue. So, despite not believing this was the solution, I tried uninstalling all antivirus software on my PC, including disabling Windows Defender. For my surprise, Evernote now is running smoothly as ever. I ain't getting any hiccups anymore, no 'Not responding', and fast startup and shutdown. Maybe Evernote doesn't play well with realtime antivirus software. 

Just for info, I had Avast, MalwareBytes and Defender on my PC. I uninstalled the first two and disabled the Defender. It's still early to say this is the solution, but I'll continue to see if the issue comes back and report it here.

If anyone would try this it would be nice.

• Level 5*

So, I tried something different from reinstalling several times. I don't think reinstalling three or four times is the solution. I think something in between the reinstallations that fix the issue. So, despite not believing this was the solution, I tried uninstalling all antivirus software on my PC, including disabling Windows Defender. For my surprise, Evernote now is running smoothly as ever. I ain't getting any hiccups anymore, no 'Not responding', and fast startup and shutdown. Maybe Evernote doesn't play well with realtime antivirus software. 

Just for info, I had Avast, MalwareBytes and Defender on my PC. I uninstalled the first two and disabled the Defender. It's still early to say this is the solution, but I'll continue to see if the issue comes back and report it here.

If anyone would try this it would be nice.

...so are you now running without any antivirus protection at all?  That doesn't seem wise...

I ran AVG for a long time and recently switched to Avast because I saw a comment that there was some sort of a conflict between AVG and Evernote.  Despite the change however there's no difference in how Evernote behaves (I get freezes,  but not bad ones - mostly).  Defender has been active the whole way through though,  so maybe that's a factor.

• Level 5*

I have Win7 with Avast. I have Defender turned off. I hardly have any freezes at all. The only time I seem to get one is when I am back spacing in the search bar, but even that happens rarely. FWIW.

Using EN Windows 5.6.5.4632

many times a day I get 10-30 seconds worth of "not responding" delays.  It is very irritating.

the annotate feature is also very slow, almost to the point of being unuseable.

i think these delays are from "getting note lock" functions and other server-side performance issues.

uninstalled and reinstalled yesterday morning.  Still had numerous freezes - for multiple minutes each - throughout the rest of the day yesterday and today.

I have Symantec/Norton Antivirus with some of the realtime features turned off, Windows 7, Office 2013 with Outlook running all the time.  I do have a plethora of experimental browsers installed but as they are not running in the background I don't know how that could be the issue.  I have had the freezes regardless what browser I'm using, including Chrome, IE, and (currently) Opera.

uninstalled and reinstalled yesterday morning.  Still had numerous freezes - for multiple minutes each - throughout the rest of the day yesterday and today.

I have Symantec/Norton Antivirus with some of the realtime features turned off, Windows 7, Office 2013 with Outlook running all the time.  I do have a plethora of experimental browsers installed but as they are not running in the background I don't know how that could be the issue.  I have had the freezes regardless what browser I'm using, including Chrome, IE, and (currently) Opera.

I've been solid since I uninstalled Iron, which is Chrome based.

Been three days since I did the rename folder trick and haven't had a freeze yet. I jinx myself by posting these updates, though. As soon as I report smooth sailing, boom! Frozen up like a popsicle. So far so good, though.

I ran into this same issue with 5.6.4.4632 (272632) Public.  However, if I waited long enough, it would work.  I did as mt101 suggested and uninstalled evernote, rebooted, found the evernote folders in appsdata and deleted them and then installed evernote again.  That fixed the problem.  

Thank you.

• Level 5*

Congratulations - maybe the folder contains a file (which depending on your Explorer settings might be 'invisible') additional to the database which can cause problems.  We've normally recommended renaming the database file - which also works for some people - but that leaves the other files in that folder with the existing content,  except in so far as it might have been updated by downloading the new database.  Maybe scrapping the file entirely does what our previous recommendation of Revo uninstaller used to do and removes a troublesome leftover.

Glad you're back to freeze-free operations,  anyway...

Inspired by the last few posts, I have fixed my problem with the following very easy procedure:

1. Exit from Evernote.
  2. Rename the Evernote directory.
  3. Create a new (and empty) Evernote directory.
  4. Create a "Databases" directory in the new Evernote directory.
  5. Copy the old username.exb file from the old (now renamed) location to the new "Databases" directory.
  6. Restart Evernote.

That's it - it worked for me, Evernote now starts up and shuts down real fast. No need to download everything again from the servers, no need to export and re-import private notes. Quick and easy!

Inspired by the last few posts, I have fixed my problem with the following very easy procedure:

1. Exit from Evernote.
  5. Copy the old username.exb file from the old (now renamed) location to the new "Databases" directory.
  6. Restart Evernote.

That's it - it worked for me, Evernote now starts up and shuts down real fast. No need to download everything again from the servers, no need to export and re-import private notes. Quick and easy!

I simply renamed the EN folder and it's been smooth sailing since. Going on two weeks, I think. I can't believe that after a couple years of frustration, something that simple did the trick. All's well that ends well, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Exit from Evernote.
  6. Restart Evernote.

Sounds like a great solution, BUT, after the exit of Evernote, and then trying to rename the directory, I get "Access is denied" ? Using Windows XP

Sounds like a great solution, BUT, after the exit of Evernote, and then trying to rename the directory, I get "Access is denied" ? Using Windows XP

EvernoteClipper is probably still running, hence the database is still open. Open up the Task Manager and kill the EvernoteClipper.exe process.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW. Lots of history on this one. Ok, here is all - I could get working for me.

(1) What caused the problem? Answer: About mid-Oct / mid-Nov Microsofts monthly update, started "playing havoc" with my machine. Anti-virus sending alarms & from Nov-18 till now. Have been desparately "trying to ensure" full backups done on Windows 7 PC.

(2) I was using the newest Evernote, v5.7.2.5753. Tried "lots" of the previous pages, do this trick, delete the whole bloody database, and so on.

Thought, perhaps "one stuck note," and if a Conflicts folder in Evernote. This time, there was no conflicts folder. Attempted to study Activity log, to see; [a] where evernote crashing, which note it was on, [c] always only, seemed to get to trying to read "little pieces" by "little pieces" of notes, AFTER having notebook structure in place, and such.

THEN, crashed the app. [] never seeing the (was comforting) Updating client database hinted message. [] Activity Log saying: 2% of database read, and no more data to read.

----

My solution.

(3) Found a v5.0.0.1337 exe to install, as "my Evernote." [Don't use beyond 5.0. I assumed v5.0 to v5.5-ish would have "better operation parameters", than the newest 5.7 public release?] (4) NOW, it downloads the whole database. [] Even though, timeouts will occur. If Internet gets "too loaded". [] But, this Evernote Windows 7 program does not "just crash." OR become unresponsive to ** file, exit. ** yes, no sync and such.

[] I really don't like, getting into the Resource Manager and deleting Evernote*.exe processes / threads.

Future switch. (4) When, I have the databases restored? [i have two evernote accounts. First one, the biggest problem is 43k notes at 8 Gig of size. Second is much smaller and my daily driver, for last two years.] (4B) Then, I'll contact Evernote support. MAKE full backups of the Evernote directories, first thing. (4C) Then, go to the newest v5.7 exe Evernote Windows client.

PS. I didn't contact Evernote support. Sometimes, they don't really seem to help? (*) Last time, their support Associate said, "oh, you're having problems. If you want, we can refund you and delete your account?" [] 1: I've been using this for seven years and love it. 2: I cannot afford or CARE TO trash / drop it. 3: It was only just the first call. [i would recommend. Whoever is the head developer, has got to build a mini-simulation laboratory, for these horrific types of problems.] [side: Why would you "want to loose" your best / first customers?]

---

Sorry for the long post. Hope veryone can read this? If they still care?

I've only just downloaded 1.5 Gig and have 14-1.5 --> 12.5 Gig to go. [] Probably, a whole week before fully operational on my Desktop.

Side: Online access in Evernote webbed is just fine.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to find that it's more about Microsoft than Evernote. Me, I've been using the web interface and learning to get by. It's not as robust as the desktop app, but it's not as clunky as it used to be, either. I shouldn't have to make this kind of concession, but there it is. The frustrations of the Evernote program was driving me to drink. Yes, THIS is the reason I drink.

• 1 month later...

Don't know if this will work for you, but it seems that as soon as I make disappear "Ads" and "Status bar" I got rid of the freeze issue.

If I reactivate the status bar... freezing restart.

By gum, I'll give it a shot. 

Balls. I disabled ads and the status bar but nope. Took about 90 minutes before EN stopped responding. I'm pretty much done with the desktop client. I've gotten used to the web version, somewhat, but that has its glitches, too. If it wasn't such a massive undertaking, I'd be on my way to a new program altogether. Then again, I've tried a few of the others and they didn't compare to Evernote. It's a pickle, all right. At this rate, I'll have to go back to using my own memory for various things. I mean, yikes!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

This is a work around and not a fix but I wanted to share my experience in changing over to an SSD.  My database is around 8GB and I was regularly getting not responding delays of 20 to 30 sec.  I typically run several other programs at the same time and work requires me to encrypt the hard drive so slow downs from all programs, but especially Evernote, were common and my HDD light was constantly on.  I finally decided to bite the bullet and install an SSD as a replacement for my HDD.  I knew it would be faster, but wow ... oh wow what a noticeable performance improvement.  A night and day difference.  Response in all programs, and especially Evernote, is near instantaneous.  No more search delays or delays when changing titles or moving notes.  I expected to see an improvement but never hoped it would be this drastic.

For those that have the option to upgrade to an SSD, this is certainly worth the effort (well, at least was for me) and I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Level 5*

I converted to SSD a couple of years ago and since then have had the same positive experience that @s2sailor describes above.  A remarkable improvement in performance.  Well worth it if you can do it.

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same problem of constant "Not responding" on a Win 7 machine.

I have read every post on this thread and it's a bit incredible that EN hasn't solved this.  I've had the problem for so long now that it is time to stop using altogether, and move to alternatives.  Speaking of alternatives, I could use Dropbox and some other stuff, but do any of you have any bright ideas for a replacement for EN?

Thanks!

I'm having the same problem of constant "Not responding" on a Win 7 machine.

I have read every post on this thread and it's a bit incredible that EN hasn't solved this.  I've had the problem for so long now that it is time to stop using altogether, and move to alternatives.  Speaking of alternatives, I could use Dropbox and some other stuff, but do any of you have any bright ideas for a replacement for EN?

Thanks!

After months of not using the desktop app, last week I installed the latest version and tried it out. On top of the 'not responding' issue, which attacked within just a few minutes, my notebooks are still wildly out of order. Uninstalled and went back to the web version. I haven't found a suitable replacement for EN, myself.

• Level 5

I would like to see a comment from an Evernote official that they have confirmed the "Not Responding" issue is to due to standard hard drives and that the solution is to replace standard drives with SSDs.

My opinion is the odds of Evernote ever stating this publicly is close to zero.

• Level 5*

I think the odds are exactly zero since hard drives are not the cause of the problem.  It is just one variable in the performance equation but one that some users can change and one that does make a noticeable difference.  That said, an SSD should not be a requirement for adequate performance but once you reach a certain database size, it seems like it is.

I think the odds are exactly zero since hard drives are not the cause of the problem.  It is just one variable in the performance equation but one that some users can change and one that does make a noticeable difference.  That said, an SSD should not be a requirement for adequate performance but once you reach a certain database size, it seems like it is.

I can second this observation.  My old Pentium D home PC with a two-year old SSD runs Evernote quite slickly, but my work laptop Core i7 runs into the 'not responding' state annoyingly regularly.

• Level 5

OK, since Evernote claims they read all the forum posts, they certainly have seen this "Not Responding" topic.

Would they like to offer some guidance on the importance of pulling our hard drives and replacing them with SSD in order to run Evernote properly?

Hmmm?

I would not be surprised that the problem is due to some "caching" made by the search feature of the tool. It's probably done in a way that it requires a lot of memory/caching to work correctly... but this intensive activity is harder to do with a standard HD (it takes too long to access data)... a SSD is so fast that no hang occurs.

They could probably do something about that... 

For what it's worth, it really seems like the WIndows Indexing/Search function plays a role in this. Disable that and the EN "not responding" issues go away. Of course, then you have to live without search, so... Yeah.

For what it's worth, it really seems like the WIndows Indexing/Search function plays a role in this. Disable that and the EN "not responding" issues go away. Of course, then you have to live without search, so... Yeah.

I stand corrected. I disabled search and indexing functions and EN STILL grinds to a frozen halt. I wash my hands of the desktop application. I'm having lesser problems with the web app, too. These are relatively minor inconveniences, but they add and the sum is a big pain in the ass. It's amazing that after spending so much time as a devout Evernotian, I'm now at least passively looking for an alternative. All good things must come to an end, I suppose. I remember a time when I liked Google, too. 

Since some of you have been talking about the SSD as a possible remedy for the "not responding" issue, I passively looked into what that's all about. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, I can get an SSD for about $70 WITH the drive cloning software? It seems like such a no-brainer that I've convinced myself I must be overlooking something. Is there any good reason why I wouldn't do this as opposed to getting a new machine? Mine has reached the point where it's slow and sluggish no matter how much maintenance I do on it. Plus, it would be a hell of a thing if I could revive the EN desktop.

• Level 5*

Since some of you have been talking about the SSD as a possible remedy for the "not responding" issue, I passively looked into what that's all about. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, I can get an SSD for about $70 WITH the drive cloning software? It seems like such a no-brainer that I've convinced myself I must be overlooking something. Is there any good reason why I wouldn't do this as opposed to getting a new machine? Mine has reached the point where it's slow and sluggish no matter how much maintenance I do on it. Plus, it would be a hell of a thing if I could revive the EN desktop.

Three years ago I added an SSD to a secondary laptop, an even then old HP Pavillion 9700. Performance difference was like night and day for all apps, but particularly EN. And still is today. My primary laptop has SSD as well. I don't think I will ever get another machine without SSD. FWIW.

Three years ago I added an SSD to a secondary laptop, an even then old HP Pavillion 9700. Performance difference was like night and day for all apps, but particularly EN. And still is today. My primary laptop has SSD as well. I don't think I will ever get another machine without SSD. FWIW.

I'm gonna go for it. I just don't see any downside. Everyone who makes the switch raves about it. Awesome. Thanks for your input.

I'll second that. Made on old Pentium D machine running Windows 7 32-bit quite workable.  Now processor-limited of course, but a 128 GB SSD for the OS and programs, coupled with a 500 GB conventional HDD for data makes for very fast boot and program load times.

If you do switch, it's best to reinstall Windows, using setup to format your new SSD boot disk because then it will be optimised properly, since there are a number of fundamental Windows settings that differ between conventional and SSD drives.

• Level 5*

I'm gonna go for it. I just don't see any downside. Everyone who makes the switch raves about it. Awesome. Thanks for your input.

You are welcome.  And by the by, I did not do what Logan suggests and still got excellent results.  So I'm assuming they only get better if do reinstall Windows.  I just did the provided copy, reboot, and off the races.  You will enjoy it.

I'll second that. Made on old Pentium D machine running Windows 7 32-bit quite workable.  Now processor-limited of course, but a 128 GB SSD for the OS and programs, coupled with a 500 GB conventional HDD for data makes for very fast boot and program load times.

If you do switch, it's best to reinstall Windows, using setup to format your new SSD boot disk because then it will be optimised properly, since there are a number of fundamental Windows settings that differ between conventional and SSD drives.

I"m thinking I'll do a fresh install of Windows and then get my programs (including EN, to stay on topic) on there while everything else stays on the conventional hard drive. That seems to be the optimal way to go. Although, the cloning sounds so simple to do, it's tempting. 

RE "I"m thinking I'll do a fresh install of Windows and then get my programs (including EN, to stay on topic) on there while everything else stays on the conventional hard drive. That seems to be the optimal way to go."

I'd encourage all to try the Oct 26, 2014 solution, which worked for me after a couple years' frustration with "not responding."    

FWIW a few months later I got SSD and notice EN searches go LIGHTNING fast!  I value EN's search abilities as it's top feature, so this is a big plus.  

• Level 5*

I"m thinking I'll do a fresh install of Windows and then get my programs (including EN, to stay on topic) on there while everything else stays on the conventional hard drive. That seems to be the optimal way to go. Although, the cloning sounds so simple to do, it's tempting. 

Sounds like a plan.  My old HDD was smaller than the SSD I bought, so laziness drove me to the allure of cloning.  ;)

• Level 5*

"If you do switch, it's best to reinstall Windows, using setup to format your new SSD boot disk because then it will be optimised properly, since there are a number of fundamental Windows settings that differ between conventional and SSD drives."

If you can, I would recommend this approach as well.  I believe these optimizations mostly affect SSD write life more than every day performance.  Plus with a fresh install you clear out all the ***** that has crept in over time.

c-r-a-p is what was filtered out

"If you do switch, it's best to reinstall Windows, using setup to format your new SSD boot disk because then it will be optimised properly, since there are a number of fundamental Windows settings that differ between conventional and SSD drives."

If you can, I would recommend this approach as well.  I believe these optimizations mostly affect SSD write life more than every day performance.  Plus with a fresh install you clear out all the ***** that has crept in over time.

What I'm wondering is, if I do a fresh windows install and use the SSD for the OS and my most used programs, can I simply leave the HDD intact and use it for storage? That would be super easy, but it seems like I've heard that you need to reformat the HDD in order to leave it where it is.

What I'm wondering is, if I do a fresh windows install and use the SSD for the OS and my most used programs, can I simply leave the HDD intact and use it for storage? That would be super easy, but it seems like I've heard that you need to reformat the HDD in order to leave it where it is.

I left mine in place but did unplug it, so now it is ready to fire up just like before if I should ever unplug the SSD. But, when you see how fast everything is and no problems with Evernote, I don't think that will happen. I did NOT reinstall Windows, just did the clone and turned on the SSD.

Regards,

David in Wichita

"I left mine in place but did unplug it, so now it is ready to fire up just like before if I should ever unplug the SSD. But, when you see how fast everything is and no problems withEvernote, I don't think that will happen. I did NOT reinstall Windows, just did the clone and turned on the SSD.

Regards, David in Wichita"

Lots of people report great results with cloning. I go back and forth on it five times a day. I can see benefits to both methods.

The benefits of cleaning up an installation through a reinstall are substantial, I think.  However, if you do go the cloning path for expediency, some of the optimisations Windows makes for an SSD are for drive life, as @s2sailor suggested, but I believe there are other tweaks that make a difference.  One is to disable prefetch and 'super' prefetch, because these are not required with an SSD.

A quick search of the internet might be useful to track some of these down.

The benefits of cleaning up an installation through a reinstall are substantial, I think.  However, if you do go the cloning path for expediency, some of the optimisations Windows makes for an SSD are for drive life, as @s2sailor suggested, but I believe there are other tweaks that make a difference.  One is to disable prefetch and 'super' prefetch, because these are not required with an SSD.

A quick search of the internet might be useful to track some of these down.

Yeah, I've been reading up on those kinds of things. Indexing, hibernation and several others seem to be areas of concern with the cloning method. My OS has grown so fat, it seems like cloning it is just going to carry problems from hard drive to SSD. I'm definitely leaning toward a fresh install. I wish I had the SSD in hand so I could go for it rather than contemplate more. Sheesh.

After trying all these fixes, I am still having serious latency issues. Evernote completely locks my computer on boot-up. What is going on in the background and how can I configure it to boot more quickly? I always get "Not Responding" for sometimes as long as 20 minutes, and continues while I try to use it, sometimes locking while I am typing. The hard drive is working hard, as I can hear it. I suspect there is re-indexing going on which is taking up resources. Is there a way to schedule re-indexing? (Win7 on a laptop)

• Level 5*

Have you updated to the latest version?  I just realised that even the (much shorter) blips I used to get seem to have stopped - I haven't seen a freeze in a couple of weeks...

Archived