(Archived) Still no real Template feature ..... Why ?

FLMAN

Go to the Evernote Knowledge Base type in TEMPLATE. You get nothing. Look through all the features and toolbar menus, and you will find nothing about Templates.

I just feel like this is very intentional omission, and I think it because it does not fit into Evernote's business model. How else can you explain it ?

From the users perspective Templates could be an extremely useful feature, yet somehow that feature does not exist.

Oh sure I can copy and paste, but why should Evernote users have to resort to that ?

I think that answer must lead us to the financial side of Evernote, that if all users were able to create templates, they could easily share them with others and there is no revenue in that. The sheer volume of creative energy that would be unleashed would probably create a disincentive for developers or at least certain kinds of developers. 

If there is a official explanation for why a clear and direct template feature does not exist, I would like to read it.

Say what you will, but I dream of TEMPLATE TRUNK. The fact that it does not exist is telling. Maybe there is a "TEMPLATE TRUNK" and I don't know about, but then if there is, it should be easy to find.

Go to the Evernote Knowledge Base type in TEMPLATE. You get nothing. Look through all the features and toolbar menus, and you will find nothing about Templates.

I just feel like this is very intentional omission, and I think it because it does not fit into Evernote's business model. How else can you explain it ?

From the users perspective Templates could be an extremely useful feature, yet somehow that feature does not exist.

Oh sure I can copy and paste, but why should Evernote users have to resort to that ?

I think that answer must lead us to the financial side of Evernote, that if all users were able to create templates, they could easily share them with others and there is no revenue in that. The sheer volume of creative energy that would be unleashed would probably create a disincentive for developers or at least certain kinds of developers. 

If there is a official explanation for why a clear and direct template feature does not exist, I would like to read it.

Say what you will, but I dream of TEMPLATE TRUNK. The fact that it does not exist is telling. Maybe there is a "TEMPLATE TRUNK" and I don't know about, but then if there is, it should be easy to find.

I'm sure the lack of templates has nothing to do with (implied nefarious) financial reasons.  All Evernote clients are free.  Evernote is free to use forever if you don't need the features premium service offers.

I don't know the reason why they've not created templates but you can make your own.  Simply create your template & then when you need to use it, copy the note.  NBD. 

I'd guess the reason EN has not incorporated templates is one of a few reasons.  Other things have a higher priority or they simply have decided to not add them.  (shrug)

You may want to take a look at the web app called KustomNote.  Please search the board if you want more info.

• Level 5*

??? OMGOMG!! A Template Conspiracy?!?!? Really?

No, not really.

This is easy enough to implement yourself, with Evernote tool sthat you have at hand: Create a note template yourself, by whatever means you like. Store it someplace convenient. Then when you want an instance of that template, use the Copy Note function to make a copy of it, and fill it in. It's not a super automated process, but it ain't that difficult either.

• Level 5

Why resort to it?

Because it's easy... Templates are a piece of cake.

Just create a master template and copy it whenever you need one.

Here is the one I use for inbound and outbound phone conversations.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/777d51c0-2070-428e-b18f-baa90a815635/50b7e364e67e17a0bc8e2018c28eff1d

Archived