Audio files disappear from audio notes

I have several audio notes in Evernote which in the list show the icon corresponding to an audio file but if I click on them the right box in the client shows an empty note.

However, if I save the attachment I get the expected amr file.

You can see how it looks in the attached screenshot.

post-155771-0-87653800-1381306290_thumb.

• Level 5*

You're viewing 'snippets' so I think the speaker icon is just that - an icon showing 'this note contains audio'.  The note itself contains the audio file which you have to open or download for it to play.

Thanks but I don't see the audio file even if I double click and open the note. Meanwhile I noticed that if I select the content of the note, I can see that the audio file box is present, but not shown. There is a white box on which I can right click and can open it.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem. Audio recorded and I even listed to it from my notes. Now the audio is gone from the note but the audio icon is with the note in the menu where you choose which note you want to review.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem

However, if I place the insertion point/ cursor on the right side of where the audio file SHOULD be and press enter, viola! The audio file appears again with the play button and everything. Selecting any other note or item reverts back to the bugged view and syncing has no effect.

I'll probably file a ticket just to let them know.

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit, Evernote 5.0.3.1614

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem

However, if I place the insertion point/ cursor on the right side of where the audio file SHOULD be and press enter, viola! The audio file appears again with the play button and everything. Selecting any other note or item reverts back to the bugged view and syncing has no effect.

I'm having the same problem on EN 5.0.3.1614 (269614) in Windows 7.  Dragosant's tip works perfectly, thank you.  I hope this is fixed soon.

I have the same problem

HA! Legend!!

I have the exact same issue and this works. Thank god, i have so many recordings made recently i need to use

Windows 64 Ultimate

evernote 5.0.3.1614 public

Im assuming they know about this and are working on, but this is a total work around

I filed a ticket, but it seems they're getting a lot of requests at the moment (that was their response to me, lol)

Not that it was urgent for me anyway, I just wanted to make sure they are aware of the issue.

Looks like this won't be getting fixed for a little while longer, so sit tight and use the workaround till then.

Or just try re-installing, seemed to work for albert.

Have a great one, everybody

I resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote.

• 2 months later...

I've been kicking around a support ticket with EN support and tried several fixes, none of which have worked yet. I imagine this issue isn't high on their list of priorities so it might still be a while. An internal bug report has been filed recently, however. So a solution is probably already underway.

Until then, you can try the fix they sent me (which didn't work for me, but my system is weird so that doesn't mean much). Re-installing worked for some, Pressing enter or space near the location the audio file should be within the note also seems to be a temporary solution. 

Here are the steps they sent me:

If you do have any Local Only notebooks or unsynced notes, right-click the notebook name in the left-hand notebook pane and select "Export", then export the notebook to .enex format, exporting tags if desired. If you have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes.

Go to File > Sign Out
Go to Evernote > Options
Click on "Open Database folder"
Copy the file with your username (ending in "exb") to a different location. For example, move it to your computer's desktop.
Then:
Please download and install the free version of "Revo Uninstaller" from the following link:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html

Once Revo is installed use it to remove all traces of Evernote from your system (Run it in Advanced mode, and delete every item that is found for Evernote) and then Reboot your computer.

Download and install this pre-release version of the Windows client:
http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=PrereleaseWinBeta

Install with Internet Explorer and Outlook (if present) closed, selecting "Install for You" and not "Install for Everyone" during the installation process.

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in. 5.1.2.2387 as well as 5.2.0.2775 on Win 7 x64. The audio file doesn't show up in the note window, not in preview and not when the note window is opened by double click.

Workaround for me: Resizing the (main or note)window shows the play icon, size and recording date.

Reinstall didn't solve the problem as well as installing latest Beta. No change. Grmpf.

• 4 weeks later...

Another with the same problem. This time running 5.2.1.3108 on Win 7 x64. Like others I have found that opening the note and pressing ENTER where the audio file should be does then show the file.

I also find that if I delete an audio note and then view it in the Trash folder I do not see the file in the preview window but opening the note does show the file without having to use the enter key. Why should it behave differently in the Trash Bin?

Aside from adding my list to the behavior others are seeing (I am running 5.2.1.3108 on Win 7 x64), I tried the following  workaround on my iPhone:    

1) Use the native iOS Voice Memo app.

2) Send this to my Evernote Inbox.

3) Complete the Sync in my Win 7 box.

Interesting that the note visually displays correctly, but actually hear the note I have to use "Open With" -> Windows Media Player.   The "Press Enter" did not play the note.

End result is no better.

• 4 months later...

I just encountered this with an important recording. Fortunately I was able to Save Attachments and get the recording back.

Being a developer, I dived a little deeper.

If you export the note, you get a .enex file format which is an XML file you can edit in any plain text editor. I do NOT recommend trying to open it in MS Word. If you are having problems opening it, rename it to be a .xml file or .txt file.

When there is an audio attachment, there are two important components. The bit that shows up within your note is something like

<en-note><en-media type="audio/m4a" hash="d94a33165afc8ddb4321705fdab4276b"/></en-note>

You will also see a section that starts like 

<resource><data encoding="base64">AAAAHGZ0eXBNNEEgAA 

which is the actual recording.

If you do not see an en-media element within the exported note then there is no link from within the note to its attached resource and all you can do is save the attachment and then recreate the note, adding the attachment back in as an attachment to a new note. It appears at some point that some Evernote bug was destroying this element - I suspect a bug in their Simplify Formatting command.

• 2 weeks later...

sepember 5 2014 and i still have same issue going on for several versions now.  i use audio notes all the time and have gotten used to clicking to the right of the invisible box.

Evernote, you should get this fixed.  would hate to have to go back to onenote...

windows 7 64 bit, last 5 versions of evernote.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Web app is fine, but still have the same problem in the Evernote Software 5.8.1.6061. I have been using Evernote 4.6.7.8409 for the longest time because that is the last release that the audio notes showed properly in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I just encountered a worse problem.  I opened an existing note with an audio file to add some notes, and after adding the notes to file, the file disappeared. There doesn't seem to be any way to get it back now. I don't even see it when I select the entire area.  It seems to be completely gone and I did nothing to remove it. Does anyone know a way I can retrieve this file.  It's really important that I get this file back.

Thanks for any input!

• Level 5*

Hi I just encountered a worse problem.  I opened an existing note with an audio file to add some notes, and after adding the notes to file, the file disappeared. There doesn't seem to be any way to get it back now. I don't even see it when I select the entire area.  It seems to be completely gone and I did nothing to remove it. Does anyone know a way I can retrieve this file.  It's really important that I get this file back.

Thanks for any input!

Hi.  What's your OS and which app did you use to append your notes - desktop,  mobile or web?  If your audio file has been around for a while (24hours or so) you can possibly get it back by (if you're a premium subscriber) looking at Note History.  If you're not a premium subscriber,  it might be worth becoming one for a month to check...  (the history will have been saved already - you just have to be premium to be able to use it).

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I am trying to open an audio file on the Evernote Website from my desktop PC using Chrome.  It's opening another tab and an audio bar comes up however l can't press play.  It appears there is nothing to load?  I can listen to it on my ios device but not on the website.  Please help.

Thanks.  

• Level 5*

Hi there

I am trying to open an audio file on the Evernote Website from my desktop PC using Chrome.  It's opening another tab and an audio bar comes up however l can't press play.  It appears there is nothing to load?  I can listen to it on my ios device but not on the website.  Please help.

Thanks.  

If your iOS device is using an audio format that doesn't play back on your desktop,  you may need to change the format of the recorded file,  convert it to another format,  or find some software that will play that file type.  If you drag and drop the audio file to your desktop,  what's the file extension?  .WAV or .MP3 ?

• 2 months later...

It's an incompatibility with the Chrome browser. https://www.google.com/search?q=chrome+browser+cannot+play+.wav+files&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I'm on a Mac. Mountain Lion. Latest version of Safari, Firefox and Chrome installed. Premium member of Evernote. When I create an audio recording (which is .wav) and then share the public link, the audio can be played on Safari and Firefox on my Mac, but not in Chrome. I downloaded the file from within the Evernote app to my desktop and tried to play it in Chrome - doesn't work either.

Who is to blame?

• Level 5*

Thanks for the links.  Not sure that there's a 'blame' situation here - from those pages it appears that Chrome doesn't play a specific type of file.  Whether that's a bug or a design decision by Google,  the workaround is to find some software that either plays WAV files,  or converts the file into a type which can be played by your browsers.

• 3 months later...

Same problem here.  EN Windows v. 5.8.15.  If I attach an mp3 file to a note, the mp3 attachment promptly disappears.

If I view the same note on IOS, the attachment is there, but on Windows it is not visible.  In Windows the note information tells me there are "no attachements" to the note.

• Level 5*

Hi.  MP3 attachments shouldn't 'disappear'. 

Basic users don't get email support,  but if you're Plus or Premium submit a request by choosing the appropriate option in the first dropdown after logging in here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

All users can contact Twitter @Evernotehelps

In either case include the forum thread URL for extra background.

Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.

• 10 months later...

Anyone noticed we are no longer able to drag and drop the audio wav file recorded in evernote ? I found Version 5 to get it back to working again. NOw we must record the audio note, save it somewhere and then attach it, no more just dragging it from evernote as an attachment to ie gmail . It was so easy and quick to record a note and just drag and drop it. Is that feature now paid or what? 

Rob-Sydney

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Rob-Sydney said:

Anyone noticed we are no longer able to drag and drop the audio wav file recorded in evernote ? I found Version 5 to get it back to working again. NOw we must record the audio note, save it somewhere and then attach it, no more just dragging it from evernote as an attachment to ie gmail . It was so easy and quick to record a note and just drag and drop it. Is that feature now paid or what? 

Rob-Sydney

Hi.  I don't use Evernote for audio recording often,  so can't say I've noticed any changes.  It's not just a paid feature.  There are so many voice recorder apps out there,  why not just use something that does save files to your home screen / desktop and attach them to notes / send by email as you require?

When you find you can't drag and drop an audio file,  does that mean that it won't play from the note?

Archived