Thanks to the devs for higher quality audio

While I've seen several posts recently that have made good cases against the recent increase in audio quality, I want to thank the developers for making the change. If one were to search the forums, they'll find that the vast majority of discussion on the subject of EN's audio has been about how poor it was. While I still think a user definable option for audio quality might be ideal (maybe just below the image size option in Account/General Setttings/Note Editor - giving the choice between the old lower quality/lower size and the new higher quality/higher filesize), I think that giving users better quality is a step in the right direction. For me, the previous audio quality was often so poor as to be worthless. Instead, many folks like myself needed to record audio in a separate app, email the audio into EN (or import it through another means), and then merge the audio to the related note outside of the iOS client. The new process of "record > done" is *much* better.

Thank you EN - you've made my day :)

I have not noticed better quality on my iPad mini and I've been one of the voices asking for better quality for a while.

What are you seeing that makes you think it's better?

The first thing I saw that made me think it might be better were complaints on the forums about the increase in filesize :)

I tested it out a today on my iPhone 4 running iOS 7 and Evernote version 7.0.2.304425. When creating an audio note I noticed that rather than creating a wav file as before, it created a m4a. I then tried recording another take of part of a song I'm working on with iOS's voice memo app. After comparing both quality and filesize, both takes look to be essentially identical (.m4a, sample rate: 44,100). More importantly, both takes sound identical. Incidentally, I just tried the same test on the Mac app and it looks like it still records via wav, sample rate: 8,000 (and still sounds like I'm using a tin can and a string).

It looks like EN should be the same for all iOS users, so I'm not sure why things wouldn't have changed for you as well :-/

• 3 months later...

Yes, I'm also very grateful to EN Devs for this update. It has completely changed my Evernote experience for the better. 30% to 50% of my notes involve audio being attached to them and most of my audio notes before this change were so bad, many of them were unusable or completely indecipherable. My argument was always, why offer the feature at all if it is going to remain sub-par. I'm SO glad the decision was to increase the quality. 

*If anyone is still complaining about the file size, they can always use a third party app that records crappy quality audio files and then email them to themselves and import them into evernote. It's a relatively simple process, right? HA! ;0)

I just tried the same test on the Mac app and it looks like it still records via wav, sample rate: 8,000 (and still sounds like I'm using a tin can and a string).

I noticed this as well, but I bet the desktop app will eventually come around and match the same file type. I remembered this all today when I went to use the desktop App to record audio notes. I realized how much I have appreciated the change on the iOS Version. :0)

Another +1 for improved audio quality on the Mac please - especially useful at long meetings where you don't want to use an iPad and want a clear record of the talking and action points. 

• 1 year later...

Archived