(Archived) Evernote: Strange freeze-up

LaFlamme

I started a ticket for this problem, but thought I'd put it out there just in case anyone is seeing the same thing. I'm on a Windows 7 64-bit PC. For the past month or so, Evernote has frequently been refusing to open. That is, it's down there on the taskbar and I can even get the flyout preview by hovering on the icon. But when I click it, nothing happens. Same with the icon in the tray. To get Evernote up again, I have to completely quit it and end the process in task manager. It's gotten to the point where it happens a half dozen times each day. I tried a re-install which didn't help even for a short period. I wonder if anyone else is seeing this problem and what they've done about it. As far as I can tell, I have no similar problems with other programs. Haven't seen anything like this in the forums. Kind of baffling.

Tried the debugging maneuver and optimized the database. Seemed to work at first, but no. After an hour, "not responding" again. Frustrating. Really puts into perspective how much we come to rely on this one program.

I ended up stepping back to v 4.67 and so far, so good. It's strange because the shortcuts are back on the tool bar rather than above the notebooks list. Hey, it works, I'm perfectly happy with that. Guess I'll just wait for the next version before upgrading again.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe I've uncovered an important clue here, if anyone else is still having this problem. Yesterday, I made it entire day without the dreaded "not responding" error. The early part of today, as well. Then I went down to the office (I've been on vacation the past couple days) and fiddled with my Evernote desktop program there. Got home and BOOM! Not responding. It seems pretty clear that this is probably a sync issue that arises when I access my notes from another location. A vital clue, maybe, but I have no idea what to do about it. If anyone else has insight, I'd love to hear it. It's been a long haul with this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for reporting this, and for your continued updates. I, too, started having this problem a few weeks ago, on both the iPad and desktop versions. I thought it was due to the length of a certain note that I update from a weekly meeting. It is fairly lengthy, but not overly large in file size. Your theory is interesting, and seems to have legs. I opened EN on the iPad this morning and tried to edit this particular note. It was very delayed in picking up my keys strokes (logitech keypad). I closed out of EN on the iPad, and went to the desktop instead, where I saw the "not responding, kill or wait?" message.

You mentioned reverting to an earlier version, and I can not find instructions for doing that - is this possible on all devices, or desktop only?

I really like Evernote as a sweitch from One Note, whose mobile version was not very impressive and seemed to be all GUI, no features. But this new bug is making it unreliable to use as a note-taking tool.

RJS

• 2 weeks later...

Similar problem here, and it has become increasingly more and more annoying. I mean, I can practice my being patient every now and then, but, in times, it freezes extremely often and for much more than just 10- seconds! Sometimes it is dead a minute, couple of minutes, even more, and the freezing repeats many times during some certain period. Why? I don't know. There is no consistency. There are periods when Evernote works just fine, then there are some with occasional freezes, and then (too often lately) there are times when work is practically paralyzed! :(

It's Windows 7.

Latest version of EN.

Similar problem here, and it has become increasingly more and more annoying. I mean, I can practice my being patient every now and then, but, in times, it freezes extremely often and for much more than just 10- seconds! Sometimes it is dead a minute, couple of minutes, even more, and the freezing repeats many times during some certain period. Why? I don't know. There is no consistency. There are periods when Evernote works just fine, then there are some with occasional freezes, and then (too often lately) there are times when work is practically paralyzed! :(

It's Windows 7.

Latest version of EN.

I long for a time when the problem was only occasional. Over the past week or so, the client is frozen more often than it's working. Extremely frustrating. I've tried everything I could think of to resolve potential conflicts. Stopped using the client on other machines, switched browsers, uninstalled programs that had been introduced around the time the problem started, did two fresh reinstalls, reverted to an older version, cleaned the registry, etc. etc. etc. I'm a few days shy of dousing my computer in graveyard moss or chicken blood because man, my Evernote client seems cursed at the moment. I'll probably settle for reinstalling Windows, which will be a huge pain in the butt. I'm totally stumped by this one, as is tech support. If anyone manages to bust their way through it, I'd love to hear how it was done. It's getting kind of cold for graveyard moss, but by golly, I'll find a way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Same or similar issue here, and going on for a while now. I'm on Win8 and to me it seems related to putting the computer into standby. Once I have it open it seems to be working fine, but after a wakeup I see the little icon in the lower right corner. There is a context menu, but when I click, nothing happens. The only solution for me here is to kill the process and restart. Or reboot the computer.

That's possible, but so inconvenient that I've been looking for alternatives - without success yet.

Archived