what happened to the shortcut toolbar?

before the new update, I had notes and notebooks that I use regularly on a toolbar across the top.  I just drag the title of one I wanted to use regularly and it would add it, just like adding an icon to my windows quick link toolbar.  Now I can't find it.  is it a feature no longer included or am I just an idiot that can't figure it out ???

thanks much!

The "shortcuts" on toolbar is gone in the new version :angry: I also had shortcuts to notes and notebooks that I used many times a day on the toolbar. Evernote Support told me to use the Shortcuts in the Left Panel. Problem is I don't want to show the Left Panel because it takes up unwanted screen space. There is so much usused space now on the Toolbar.

And now there is only "up-down" scroll bar for the note but no left-right scroll bar for the note. I don't even know how I'm supposed to scroll my notes from left to right since some of my notes don't auto-adjust to fit the screen  :angry: 

The new version is getting less functional and more difficult to use. I'm getting very frustrated with the new version and thinking of stopping my premium subscription and switching to some other software.

ohhhhh ... that's not good.  I also prefer not to use the left panel.  it is only confusing and extraneous for me.  I use Evernote like crazy but keep it kind of as a rolling to-do list between three notes and then all the other stuff is my "completed" filing cabinet.  I appreciate the answer I will quit looking for what is not there.

This was easily my favorite and most used feature in Evernote. How is it even possible that they'd take this away (I actually just wanted it improved - sync'd between devices). 

I'm curious if I'm in the minority in using this (you sort of had to "find" it), or if they just guessed at the impact of this change...

Regardless, +1,000 - bring it back. You just made your product much more frustrating (and put nothing in it's place - just blank UI).

And related, can we downgrade to an older version?

• Level 5*

This was easily my favorite and most used feature in Evernote. How is it even possible that they'd take this away (I actually just wanted it improved - sync'd between devices).

I prefer the toolbar myself. OTOH, shortcuts are sync-able between devices.

And related, can we downgrade to an older version?

Yes. Forum search to find others who have done so, and any caveats.

Not sure what you mean by toolbar?

Regarding shortcuts, how did you sync them (shortcuts on the bar)? I always took a screenshot (and ironically added that as a note), so that I could manually match them between home/work/laptop.

• Level 5*

Not sure what you mean by toolbar?

The old toolbar, where you could drag various things.

Regarding shortcuts, how did you sync them (shortcuts on the bar)? I always took a screenshot (and ironically added that as a note), so that I could manually match them between home/work/laptop.

Right-click on the "Shortcuts" header in the left panel, and make sure that "Synchronize shortcuts" is checked.

Interesting, because the sync works now in the "shortcuts left panel" and it totally destroyed what I had carefully setup as as shortcuts among my different locations, and I certainly don't want them to sync -  because my home shortcuts are totally different from my work shortcuts, but i totally understand people would find this convenient.

So when upgrading this feature, I beg EN staff to please let users have the choice to sync or not the shortcuts, or make sure to poll them to decide or not to sync them!

• Level 5*

So when upgrading this feature, I beg EN staff to please let users have the choice to sync or not the shortcuts, or make sure to poll them to decide or not to sync them!

Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, you already have that ability: right-click on the Shortcuts header in the left panel, and uncheck "Synchronize shortcuts". You can also do this in Tools / Options / Sync.

Oh that's great Jeff, thank you very much

Was it in the previous versions? If so, next update, I hope they won't change the users' current settings

I'll still roll back to the previous version because I find it much more practical to have them on the top (the limited space for them was a blessing, as it forced me to put only my most used files and avoid clutter, but I wouldn't mind to have a bit longer or more customizable shortcuts bar in the future.)

Gotcha Jeff, thanks. The reason I was unaware is because I keep the left panel closed. I use the main notes area, my shortcuts (which are now gone), and search to get around.  Once in a while I open up the notes list, but that's it.

Anyway, I'd still prefer the old shortcuts vs all that space on the left panel. ):

• 2 weeks later...

Why remove one of evernote's best features???  The shortcut & toolbar feature was a
true stroke of genius - a powerful idea that's so simple to use - a real game changer IMHO.  

My most important & urgent notes were right where I could see them - on my (old) toolbar.  
This way I  *never* forgot *anything* that required my attention - my shortcuts ensured that.

And like many other users I just used the notes layout and my shortcuts (99% of the time).  

Could we please have it back ASAP?!  (It's not as if there's no room on the new toolbar!?!?)

As an avid fan & satisfied subscriber of Memonic - it was discovering this feature (combined

with the updated & greatly improved web clipper)  that made me switch back to Evernote.

Please give us the function back +1000.

Max V.

The "shortcuts" on toolbar is gone in the new version :angry: I also had shortcuts to notes and notebooks that I used many times a day on the toolbar. Evernote Support told me to use the Shortcuts in the Left Panel. Problem is I don't want to show the Left Panel because it takes up unwanted screen space. There is so much usused space now on the Toolbar.

And now there is only "up-down" scroll bar for the note but no left-right scroll bar for the note. I don't even know how I'm supposed to scroll my notes from left to right since some of my notes don't auto-adjust to fit the screen  :angry:

I use the free one, but really I love the toolbar shortcut in the previous version.

The ideal will really be put the shortcut even using other (short) name, thus: "bank" for a note named "bank finantial notes" and so on.

• 1 month later...

+1!!

I too REALLY want this feature back. 

Ive started using a note as an improvised "toolbar". I drag my shortcuts to that note, and keep it open. Not the most elegant solution but I need shortcuts (where I dont have to scroll upwards past hundreds of tags).

Maybe there has been a switch of people making design/functionality-decisions in the Evernote-team? I find it hard to believe this is the one and same person making these decisions. The new design, while more SHINY, does sacrifice functionality? 

• Level 5*

They are not shortcuts now. You have to click about 3 times on average to get to them now. That's not a shortcut. I want the old shortcut bar back. 

I wish I could only click 3 times. The shortcut bar is so useless compared to the v4 toolbar. I keep v4 on my main machine for a couple of reasons, and the toolbar is one of them!

• Level 5*

Maybe there has been a switch of people making design/functionality-decisions in the Evernote-team? I find it hard to believe this is the one and same person making these decisions. The new design, while more SHINY, does sacrifice functionality? 

I cannot speak to staffing, but clearly form has taken precedence over function. The toolbar/shortcut is one example. The putting of the note subject in the note body itself vs having it at the top as part of the header is another.

As for tags, especially in a business account, both form and function was sacrificed in favor of chaos as all tags are now in one gigantic blob of unusability. And for good measure, some tags are inexplicably duplicated, triplicated, and quadruplicated.  :angry:

• Level 5

I updated a couple days ago from 4.7 to 5

Very, very disappointed with the results.

This new version feels as though Evernote slapped handcuffs on me.

The elimination of the shortcuts makes Evernote both inept and sluggish.

I've gone through the forum comments and can't find anyone who offers even a half-hearted positive comment about the demise of shortcuts in the toolbar.

• Level 5*

Again, shortcuts have not been eliminated from Evernote in V5. They are less conveniently located, sure, and this has been the subject of commentary since the V5 pre-releases. But let's not spread misinformation here; shortcuts are available, they work, and for those who want to, they can be synced to other clients.

• Level 5

The removal of the shortcuts has been subject of commentary since the V5 pre-releases... and continues well into the present versions.

I stand by my statement. It is not misinformation. Let's not spread Evangelism here.

Re-read my comment - you will see I clearly said: "the demise of shortcuts in the toolbar."

• Shortcuts are no longer available for Evernote users who keep the space-wasting Left Panel closed.
  • If a user has to perform additional steps to unhide the info that used to be easily available, it is no longer a "shortcut".
  • Level 5*

The removal of the shortcuts has been subject of commentary since the V5 pre-releases... and continues well into the present versions.

I stand by my statement. It is not misinformation. Let's not spread Evangelism here.

Re-read my comment - you will see I clearly said: "the demise of shortcuts in the toolbar."

• Shortcuts are no longer available for Evernote users who keep the space-wasting Left Panel closed.
  • If a user has to perform additional steps to unhide the info that used to be easily available, it is no longer a "shortcut".
Your statement ("the elimination of the shortcuts makes Evernote both inept and sluggish") was pretty clear to me. You can stand by that all you want, but shortcuts are in fact not eliminated: the Evernote term for what these things are is, after all, "shortcuts" (so by definition, they're still there), moreover, their function is to make actions like locating a set of notes is a lot simpler than doing it manually (unarguably true). For those folks who with to use the screen real estate to show the shortcut list, there is hardly any loss of convenience; for others, as I noted, they sure are a lot less convenient. This is not evangelism (which has somehow become a dirty word), it's just pure fact. Another fact is that personally, I don't actually care for shortcuts having moved down from the toolbar, and I browbeat dlu about that when they first appeared in the first prereleases, and advocated pretty strongly for the return of them to the toolbar. That being said, I am able recognize that shortcuts are useful functionality, and the their syncability (a feature new to v5, I think) is also useful to some people, even while disagreeing with one aspect of their deployment. That may not be a full-throated defense of shortcuts, but it's certainly more than a "half-hearted positive comment".
  • Level 5*

Again, shortcuts have not been eliminated from Evernote in V5. They are less conveniently located, sure, and this has been the subject of commentary since the V5 pre-releases. But let's not spread misinformation here; shortcuts are available, they work, and for those who want to, they can be synced to other clients.

No. The shortcuts were eliminated, then a new thing came up that is less functional, and was also called shortcuts. The shortcuts available on the v4.x toolbar were far FAR more functional and visible 100% of the time. The new "shortcuts" are limited, and may or may not visible depending on where you are on your left hand pane, which means to even use them, as limited as they are, you may have to scroll.

Hardly what I'd call shortcuts. They are closer to bookmarks, and just like in a browser, they aren't always visible, and often require scrolling to use.

• Level 5

Can someone remind me of the v4 shortcut nirvana that I seem to have forgotten?

How are they more functional?  And the 3-4 clicks is only if you mouse the menus for the sidebar rather than toggle with F10, yes?

For me they're just there in 5 for the single clicking.

As I see it, it's more functional in that I can put more shortcuts there vertically than I had room for horizontally in v4, if I'm recalling correctly.

Plus I could de-clutter by collapsing them.  But I don't because I always want them there.

[edit - I just nuked my v5 and went back to 4.6.7.8.x for a tour]

My brief journey back to V4 just now didn't have any draw to keep me there.  Besides the UI looking old, the horizontal shortcut bar seems to limit the number of entries, and the search field was tiny.  Moreover it didn't feel any faster.

ScreenClip.png?resizeSmall&width=832

Vs V5: Where the search field is palatial, and the number of shortcuts I can have is endlessly vertical.  It looks like I would max at about 12 above, vs. 12 below...

V4 just seemed to have things backward when it comes to what should be vertical vs horizontal.  Hierarchical tag trees were vertical in 4 but take much less space horizontally in 5.  And the Shortcuts are limited in number horizontally in 4 but can go on list-wise in 5.  Unless I missed a tree nesting ability in 4, such as with tag and notebook lists, but if so it wasn't obvious.

• Level 5*

How are they more functional?  And the 3-4 clicks is only if you mouse the menus for the sidebar rather than toggle with F10, yes?

I think that the terminology that Evernote used back then was "favorites" -- the toolbar was the "Favorites bar", anyways. Favorites and today's shortcuts are largely the same, but there were a couple of things that you could do then than you cannot do now: You could put the Notebook and Tag lists up on the favorite bars, if I recall correctly. The big difference, however, is how you woud use up your screen real estate: the favorites toolbar allowed a fair number of items without taking up my vertical real estate, the shortcuts list uses vertical screen real estate *and* forces you to keep the left panel open, which is something that's nice to avoid if you're on a small screen (e.g. a netbook).

It's not a question of whether we all agree about what these were called.  Or whether Evernote actually intended to remove the favorites bar cross-platform.

The real question here is ... now that Evernote is aware of how many of us really preferred that little top bar ... why not add it back?  What reason caused it to be deleted?  Something important ... like ... it was causing coding conflicts or the like? 

or was it just some developer/designer's idea to take it off because it looks 'cleaner' and duplicates the left sidebar?  Because ... if that's the reason ... bring it back and make it optional.  Make us --- the customers --- happy!

This is an app I PAY for ... I am a premium subscriber because I believe in supporting the work of projects I like.  This goes both ways ... show me you value my opinion by either making an effort to provide my requests, OR, give me a reasonable explanation of why it can no longer be accomplished.

Never once have I had e a crash in Evernote.  If this silly little top favorites bar isn't causing issues ... what possible reason is there for not making the users happy?????

Your statement ("the elimination of the shortcuts makes Evernote both inept and sluggish") was pretty clear to me. You can stand by that all you want, but shortcuts are in fact not eliminated: the Evernote term for what these things are is, after all, "shortcuts" (so by definition, they're still there), moreover, their function is to make actions like locating a set of notes is a lot simpler than doing it manually (unarguably true). For those folks who with to use the screen real estate to show the shortcut list, there is hardly any loss of convenience; for others, as I noted, they sure are a lot less convenient. This is not evangelism (which has somehow become a dirty word), it's just pure fact. Another fact is that personally, I don't actually care for shortcuts having moved down from the toolbar, and I browbeat dlu about that when they first appeared in the first prereleases, and advocated pretty strongly for the return of them to the toolbar. That being said, I am able recognize that shortcuts are useful functionality, and the their syncability (a feature new to v5, I think) is also useful to some people, even while disagreeing with one aspect of their deployment. That may not be a full-throated defense of shortcuts, but it's certainly more than a "half-hearted positive comment".

I think Evernote's foresight is above everyone's else. They foresee that in the future everybody will be carrying 19" (yes it's nineteen inch) or bigger tablets that why they decided to put the shortcut bar at the left panel to occupy the screen space and they left the toolbar with so much empty space. :rolleyes: I think Microsoft should really take the lead and stop making their ultraslim and compact Surface Pro tablets and make bigger tablets like 19" or bigger.

As for the ability to synchronise shortcuts across platforms or whatever, how often to people change their shortcuts? My shortscuts are there for many months without changing, and I only need to set them up once on every device I use. However  I click on the shortcuts many times a day!!! Again Evernote must have the foresight to foresee that shortcuts are constantly changing (maybe several times a day) so the need to synchrnoise across device or platforms. :rolleyes:

• Level 5*

I agree that the shortcuts on the toolbar at the top were readily accessible in the Win version. However, I like the ability to have many more shortcuts in the left panel - the top panel will eventually run out of space, but was very useful for the shortcuts I used commonly. This included quick links to certain notebooks, searches that I use commonly, etc. So, Evernote, please can we have both?

there is the million-dollar-question ... no one is saying, please remove any changes ... please take away the left panel.  What we are saying is this: If this has been the subject of discussion for quite some time ... why can't we have both?  The space where the favorites used to be drag-able is now empty.  Why can't we choose to put whatever fits into that space?  If you don't want to use it, don't.  But why is it so important that all users be forced to change their work habits?

• Level 5

the top panel will eventually run out of space, but was very useful for the shortcuts I used commonly. This included quick links to certain notebooks, searches that I use commonly, etc.

FactMan and Marepinta, exactly!

My work habits involved 4 shortcuts that I used, not just daily, but constantly.

1.) Shortcut to position cursor on today's most current note

2.) Shortcut to find notes in my default inbox Notebook

3.) Shortcut to find notes with unchecked checkboxes

4.) Shortcut to find Evernote search grammar rules

• Level 5*

For me they're just there in 5 for the single clicking.

As I see it, it's more functional in that I can put more shortcuts there vertically than I had room for horizontally in v4, if I'm recalling correctly.

Plus I could de-clutter by collapsing them.  But I don't because I always want them there.

[edit - I just nuked my v5 and went back to 4.6.7.8.x for a tour]

My brief journey back to V4 just now didn't have any draw to keep me there.  Besides the UI looking old, the horizontal shortcut bar seems to limit the number of entries, and the search field was tiny.  Moreover it didn't feel any faster.

Vs V5: Where the search field is palatial, and the number of shortcuts I can have is endlessly vertical.  It looks like I would max at about 12 above, vs. 12 below...

V4 just seemed to have things backward when it comes to what should be vertical vs horizontal.  Hierarchical tag trees were vertical in 4 but take much less space horizontally in 5.  And the Shortcuts are limited in number horizontally in 4 but can go on list-wise in 5.  Unless I missed a tree nesting ability in 4, such as with tag and notebook lists, but if so it wasn't obvious.

The biggest thing is menus. I can drag "Personal Folders" to the toolbar and now I have a dropdown to quickly navigate to other notebooks. Same with Business Notebooks. Plus, the toolbar is visible 100% of the time. Shortcuts are only visible if the left panel is visible and you are scrolled to the top or wherever your Shortcut section is.

You are correct that with the toolbar you are limited by the width of your screen. I've never advocated getting rid of the Shortcuts in v5. Just bring the toolbar back (it was there in very early builds) to restore some of the functionality lost.

• Level 5*

Never once have I had e a crash in Evernote.  If this silly little top favorites bar isn't causing issues ... what possible reason is there for not making the users happy?????

I have trouble believing this isn't 100% about someone's view of how Evernote should look visually. I fear Evernote is gotten wrapped up in all of the accolades they get for their design, but they forget about functionality for the power users. As long as Suzie Q can save her recipes and likes how it looks, those of us with 30+ notebooks, business acounts, 15GB of data across 20,000 notes, and hundreds and hundrends of tags (business+personal) can go pound sand.

• Level 5

Agree it seems having both could fit in well similar to browser bookmarks.  There's the notion of the sidebar list of favorites/bookmarks, as well as a toolbar row of always visible links.

And also the notion in browsers of user control over visibility of that toolbar row.

Seems it would be a good fit in Evernote's "browser" too.

• Level 5

I don't know about 100%, Ed, but it wouldn't surprise me if after all the priorities and things that pay the bills and payback investors, if that's not functionally 90% of it all.

There does seem to be a disconnect between the notion of a 100 year company and supporting well, the long haul customer rather than the light, data sipping, not heavily invested ones.

Fingers crossed for this merely "growing pain" and "teething problems".

• Level 5

...still scratching my head on the image embed from shared Evernote notes.  I thought it seemed cleared up and I'd started relying on it again, but now I see my screenshots again appear to only be visible if logged into the forums.

Arrrrgh! I don't like the new Windows version layout. As a loyal premium user, I would like to add my support to the cause of getting the shortcut toolbar back as well. And what's with having to go an extra step to create a new note. This icon used to sit in plain view on the top toolbar. Now I have to hit a down arrow to find "New Note". Maybe it's my 14" laptop screen compacting the view, but I can't rearrange the other two icons, "Sync" and "Activity" to bring "New Note" into permanent view. Please, Evernote, don't fix things that "aren't broke".

post-103403-0-53591000-1386646498_thumb.

I agree!!!  Loved that new note one-click.  And maybe people think a few clicks aren't that different, but these were the differences evernote made to me.

OMG I have tried virtually every organizer/list/to-do on the market because I am a freak about lists and they make me feel organized and then ... voila!  .... my tasks accomplish themselves.  I have loved evernote from the day I started with it, became Premium almost immediately, recommend it often ... but ... am disappointed with the recent changes.  

Evernote ... are you listening???  These changes should be very simple to reinstall because you turned them off while they were working!!!

:)

• Level 5*

Arrrrgh! I don't like the new Windows version layout. As a loyal premium user, I would like to add my support to the cause of getting the shortcut toolbar back as well. And what's with having to go an extra step to create a new note. This icon used to sit in plain view on the top toolbar. Now I have to hit a down arrow to find "New Note". Maybe it's my 14" laptop screen compacting the view, but I can't rearrange the other two icons, "Sync" and "Activity" to bring "New Note" into permanent view. Please, Evernote, don't fix things that "aren't broke".

Right click on the toolbar, customize toolbar, and you can move the new note dropdown to the left.

• Level 5

Evernote ... are you listening???

On this forum, I would say the answer is: sporadically, at best.

Yes, there are a few Evernote employees that check in. Some post, some lurk.

But during the past 20 days on this forum, there have been over 500 new threads created and over 2,700 individual comments. That is a lot of user input to digest by a few staff members.

For the more important issues, I have shifted to submitting my suggestions and questions directly into the Evernote network via their Support Department. I always get an Evernote employee's comment along with some feedback there.

• Level 5
Right click on the toolbar, customize toolbar, and you can move the new note dropdown to the left.

Like MS Word. 80% of the feature requests are already in the product, once you get past "fresh" "new" UI changes... And its corollary: your endusers are your own worst enemy.

^ ^ not exactly, as I don't mean to be an enemy :P 

but you can't put bookmarks on the toolbar yet, there is blank space where you could add elements, but now you can't. 

Shortcuts and note titles have become really annoying to use and they were SO useful in the previous version. I'm still too lazy to roll back hoping an upgrade will soon solve at least these 2 points.

• Level 5*

Don't click on the down arrow; click on "New Note" directly. That will create a new note. Also, the shortcut key Ctrl+N will create a new note.

• Level 5*

but you can't put bookmarks on the toolbar yet, there is blank space where you could add elements, but now you can't.

This is sort of the thrust of the entire topic. You used to be able to put "favorites" (which are essentially what Evernote now now names "shortcuts") on the toolbar; now you cannot.
  • Level 5*

Like MS Word. 80% of the feature requests are already in the product, once you get past "fresh" "new" UI changes... And its corollary: your endusers are your own worst enemy.

True, but in 18 years of using Office products, I cannot think of a single time MS removed a feature that users actually use. Now, Windows on the other hand.... someone at MS decided that removing the start menu was a good thing, and that is where MS is taking a ton of flak.

When will companies learn, don't remove what your users use!?! Office is still insanely popular. It gets accused of "bloat" but it doesn't affect functionality. It just means there are icons that people won't use. I'd much rather Evernote have 10-15 icons in the toolbar I don't use than to continue removing features I do use! And they did it more than once with EN5.  :angry:

• Level 5

That might be going a little easy on them.

I have some Thinkpad T61 users with fast-ish SSD and hybrid drives complaining of performance issues since moving to office 2010 64bit. Half we're using office 2007 and the other office 2010 32 bit. To the point of now feeling they've hit the pushing point to outgrowing their core 2 duo's. And the reason for that whole bloat based push is Skydrive Pro as part of Sharepoint online.

skydrive pro, now there's a bloated hairball.

Previously you could be using your 2007 32 bit Visio and Project (both suffering from price bloat), with 64 bit office.

But install Skydrive pro, and it's a hairball of MS Groove, Internet Explorer, and office 2013. Yet though it comes in 32 and 64 bit flavours, complains of a mixed 32 bit, 64 bit install as above, though technically Visio and Project aren't really office products but merely live in the same start menu folder.

• Level 5*

Yeah, I cannot speak to the 32bit vs 64bit issues. I have WIn7 64bit, but retain 100% 32bit Office software because I have a substantial number of addins that haven't been rewritten, and honestly, I cannot see any advantages day-to-day for Excel in 64bit trim. As for Access, my bottleneck is the SSD (may switch to a hybrid drive), not the bitness.

• Level 5

Not detracting from agreeing that a shortcut bar in addition would be wise to add back. I do feel remiss reflecting that we don't really expect a full see everything UI if we're choosing to run this on a Netbook I hope. Surely we're cognoscente that that's a compromised device requiring compromises. Such as the hardship of tapping F10 to toggle a sidebar and click a shortcut.
Saying that as one whose all day everyday is a 1024x768 4:3 tablet.
I don't expect optimal everything crammed into that.
That's what a secondary 22" display is for.
If I swing Evernote onto the internal display or undock it to go walk about, then f10 f11 Ctrl-f11 are your friends.

The one click access stuff comes back to be useful just as easily as it gets out of your way.

• 1 month later...

Please bring the shortcut toolbar back to the top.... I used it to place important notebooks and changed them when required. When using the shortcuts on the left hand side it makes my list so long, takes me forever to find the tags, cvt

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of half-baked decision making process do they use in the Product Management team at Evernote?

Do they go down the pub perhaps, and say, "hey, what can we do to annoy the heck out of the users this week?"

... "I know ... remove the tags from the toolbar!" ... "Yes, that will do it ... beers all round!".

What kind of half-baked decision making process do they use in the Product Management team at Evernote?

Do they go down the pub perhaps, and say, "hey, what can we do to annoy the heck out of the users this week?"

... "I know ... remove the tags from the toolbar!" ... "Yes, that will do it ... beers all round!".

It's laughable that anyone would even think this way.

As has been stated more than a few times, with every big change, there will be people who don't like it.

And...there will be people who do like it or don't mind it. I fall into the second category. The move from V4 to V5 has been painless. Just as the move was from 3.x to 4.x

Just updated to V5. I am disappointed with the washed out look. Miss the favorites toolbar as liked to thave the left plane hidden and search for Tags. Not been able to see the note title is wearing out my scroll wheel and could we also get the tag (context) and text search boxes lined up. Thanks.

Just updated to V5. I am disappointed with the washed out look. Miss the favorites toolbar as liked to thave the left plane hidden and search for Tags. Not been able to see the note title is wearing out my scroll wheel and could we also get the tag (context) and text search boxes lined up. Thanks.

+1!

It's laughable that anyone would even think this way.

As has been stated more than a few times, with every big change, there will be people who don't like it.

And...there will be people who do like it or don't mind it. I fall into the second category. The move from V4 to V5 has been painless. Just as the move was from 3.x to 4.x

It seems you have a lacking understanding about people's legitimate concerns regarding various "upgrades" that in realiity have downgraded features they use and value. Just because you dont use/value these features doesn't mean others dont.

Even the main man himself Phil have said everything isnt all and well in the lands of Evernote ATM.

It seems you have a lacking understanding about people's legitimate concerns regarding various "upgrades" that in realiity have downgraded features they use and value. Just because you dont use/value these features doesn't mean others dont.

Even the main man himself Phil have said everything isnt all and well in the lands of Evernote ATM.

You need to re-read my post & the post I was addressing.

Some concerns may be legitimate. But IMO, many are knee jerk reactions to a different UI.

Seemed there was another upgrade to the windows client, and since I kept a V5 installed on one my PCs I was hoping they'd roll back the favorites/shortcut bar at the top, but no, not this time, as of yet, soon, maybe, I hope.

(and the note title bar in V4 is so much more practical for quick editing than the title at the top of a note which disappears as the note gets longer)

• Level 5*

Seemed there was another upgrade to the windows client, and since I kept a V5 installed on one my PCs I was hoping they'd roll back the favorites/shortcut bar at the top, but no, not this time, as of yet, soon, maybe, I hope.

(and the note title bar in V4 is so much more practical for quick editing than the title at the top of a note which disappears as the note gets longer)

I am increasingly discouraged with each upgrade as no real usability features from 4.x are returning to 5.x. It has been over 6 months since the initial 5.x betas and other than the separation of business and personal notebooks in the left hand pane, I've not really seen anything come back.

And as you mentioned, there is something in the new design philosophy to having important things scroll off the screen, like note titles and shortcuts, neither of which happened in 4.x. Having those visible at all times is, IMHO, critical, and for shortcuts, having them not visible at times means they aren't shortcuts at all. Can you imagine if your browser stuck shortcuts in a pane in your browser and then they scrolled off the page?

• Level 5

Can you imagine if your browser stuck shortcuts in a pane in your browser and then they scrolled off the page?

You mean like in Chrome? (which incidentally seems to be the code base (chromium) behind the EN renderer, if I grok correctly from the license credits)

There are no shortcuts at all, once you click one. Even "toolbar" shortcuts aren't visible unless I open a new tab. But the whole shortcuts hierarchy is clicks away in a menu. The former you can change with a preference change from the default, I don't think so the latter.

Not disagreeing per se, I'm just interested observing how widely different everyone's must haves are.

I don't seem to bump into the shortcuts scrolled away as I tend to use them more frequently before I've drilled down deeply.

And I'm more often to use a saved search which is always visible.

Note titles are always visible to me in the note list as I'm not frequently hiding center and left panels, unless I'm in deep think on a single note, and then I want nothing but the note.

The info button, or tapping ALT, is close enough for me to get at note metadata.

This gets into more of the v5 threads, but my main beef isn't with the UI philosophy. I can adapt to that. And if something takes an extra click or a different click, so be it. I can adapt.

But if a feature is broken, partially functioning, or hobbled/different behaving on one platform vs another, there's no easy way to adapt to that.

Some slow progress is being made, hoping for lots more.

• Level 5*

Can you imagine if your browser stuck shortcuts in a pane in your browser and then they scrolled off the page?

You mean like in Chrome? (which incidentally seems to be the code base (chromium) behind the EN renderer, if I grok correctly from the license credits)

There are no shortcuts at all, once you click one. Even "toolbar" shortcuts aren't visible unless I open a new tab. But the whole shortcuts hierarchy is clicks away in a menu. The former you can change with a preference change from the default, I don't think so the latter.

Then you've not got Chrome configured properly. I use Chrome on Windows and my shortcut toolbar with my most critical bookmarks is always accessible right across the top, just below the URL bar.

me too ... this is EXACTLY how I used to use evernote toolbar.  in Chrome (and IE) it is called the bookmark bar.  Settings > Always Show Bookmarks bar

it would be nice if Evernote wanted to get rid of this handy toolbar, they made it optional instead.

• Level 5

Then you've not got Chrome configured properly. I use Chrome on Windows and my shortcut toolbar with my most critical bookmarks is always accessible right across the top, just below the URL bar.

A. I'm aware of the option, as I said in my post, it's a settings option.

B. It's interesting you say "Properly".  That's sort of the philosophical question at play here.

ScreenClip.png

"My" way is the default.  One might argue it's the Developers intent, or perhaps a default based on the preponderance of user request based on screen real-estate usage bias, no way to say.

"Your" way, is an optional alternate config.

So how does it make mine/the default, improper?

It's certainly a worldview to make customer empowerment a priority, in a customer is always right sense.

And if I agree with you, then your way is the "proper" way for you.  And may way is the "proper" way for me.  And it's the products job to support that notion with the required flexibility.

I don't see that as one Evernote has espoused/offered though (in neither word or deed).

But I'm with you, in that more options are better than less.

The last update certain seems to have given that on many of the UI home screen items complained about since v5.

• More color choice
  • The order and visibility of sections
  • section detail level
  • Sync status visibility

I just wish we could get off UI spackle reconfiguration for a while and get deep into the weeds on features and fixes.

• Level 5*

A. I'm aware of the option, as I said in my post, it's a settings option.

B. It's interesting you say "Properly".  That's sort of the philosophical question at play here.

ScreenClip.png

"My" way is the default.  One might argue it's the Developers intent, or perhaps a default based on the preponderance of user request based on screen real-estate usage bias, no way to say.

"Your" way, is an optional alternate config.

So how does it make mine/the default, improper?

It's certainly a worldview to make customer empowerment a priority, in a customer is always right sense.

And if I agree with you, then your way is the "proper" way for you.  And may way is the "proper" way for me.  And it's the products job to support that notion with the required flexibility.

I don't see that as one Evernote has espoused/offered though (in neither word or deed).

But I'm with you, in that more options are better than less.

The last update certain seems to have given that on many of the UI home screen items complained about since v5.

• More color choice
  • The order and visibility of sections
  • section detail level
  • Sync status visibility

I just wish we could get off UI spackle reconfiguration for a while and get deep into the weeds on features and fixes.

I would say if you want the shortcut toolbar (or bookmark bar, whatever Google calls it) to be showing, and you have it unchecked and it isn't showing, then that would be "improper" regardless of why it isn't checked.

I don't care what the default is. I just want the toolbar back, so give me a checkbox to add it back. Just like Chrome.

• Level 5

Got it.

Just that you sound to be extending desired state/"proper" a little further than the confines of your environment/use case.

I think we established that I was aware in Chrome it was a configurable.

The fact that I left it at the default, indicates some acceptance of that as the desired state for my use case.  Hence the "proper" state.

So circling back, when you say, "imagine if a browser..." we don't have to imagine.  The default config for some 30%+ of internet browser install base is just what you say is "improper".

I can happily extend support of the notion that choice in that regard should/could be supported by an option checkbox just as it is in Chrome.

But also accept that others (me, the default, maybe Evernote devs), might not be as convinced of that sense of the "proper" state.

Today after receiving yet more replies to this thread I started, I decided to create a support ticket to Evernote.  Here is the response.  Maybe not as great as it could be, but hopeful I think.

Hello annmartinson,

Thank you for contacting us

As you mention, yes, this was one of the many changes made when we did our latest Major revision, the reason of why it was done, unfortunately its unknown to me and most of my colleagues (if not all), our Development team works in a pretty tight schedule and not much is "leaked" out of their group.

We have just created a "User Request" entry into our development teams database, we have provided the information you have sent us here as well as linked them to the Forum discussion currently ongoing.

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused, if there is anything else you might need, please do not hesitate to contact us

Thank you.

• Level 5*

Today after receiving yet more replies to this thread I started, I decided to create a support ticket to Evernote.  Here is the response.  Maybe not as great as it could be, but hopeful I think.

Hello annmartinson,

Thank you for contacting us

As you mention, yes, this was one of the many changes made when we did our latest Major revision, the reason of why it was done, unfortunately its unknown to me and most of my colleagues (if not all), our Development team works in a pretty tight schedule and not much is "leaked" out of their group.

We have just created a "User Request" entry into our development teams database, we have provided the information you have sent us here as well as linked them to the Forum discussion currently ongoing.

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused, if there is anything else you might need, please do not hesitate to contact us

Thank you.

Thanks for doing that Marepinta. I've not opened a support ticket, but I and others have been pretty vocal about this issue, and a few others. Hopefully the cumulative requests on this will bring it back.

In the mean time, I continue to use 4.x on my main machine.

• 3 weeks later...

Still using v4 after trying v5 for a few minutes when released. But v4 is crashing more and more lately so thought I'd re-evaluate v5 again. I'm not too fussed if I have to use the shortcut section for saved searches instead of the top bar, but I have saved searched like "tag:project1 tag:actions" - how do I put those in there?

• Level 5

1. They're always listed in the search box.  It's a drop down when you click on it.

If you also want some on your shortcut sidebar, just click on the search box to see them, and drag and drop them over onto the sidebar.

Ok, seems to be some initial bug or delay in syncing them when installing for the first time, as they're just now showing up in the search box despite the initial sync finishing many hours ago. Thanks for making me look there again.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh h_ _ _s yeah! 

Might download the new version, though I'll still lack the title feature (that you can edit no matter where you are in the note, but that's another subject...)

• Level 5*

Might download the new version, though I'll still lack the title feature (that you can edit no matter where you are in the note, but that's another subject...)

Agreed. This still frustrates me to no end that the note title scrolls off screen.

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5*

/agree on this one.

Without being able to filter tags by whatever Notebook a user is in, there's no reason to keep the left panel open anymore.  A place for (even a single) shortcut in the toolbar would be welcome.  :)

You should be able to filter tags by whatever notebook you are in if you have Search current context set in the search bar.  

Also, you can use the Notebook drop down above the note lists versus the left panel if you like, another reason not to have the left panel open.  However, the left panel does come in handy should you want to do an ANY search on of the children of a parent tag or some other combination, if one uses nested tags.

You should be able to filter tags by whatever notebook you are in if you have Search current context set in the search bar.  

Also, you can use the Notebook drop down above the note lists versus the left panel if you like, another reason not to have the left panel open.  However, the left panel does come in handy should you want to do an ANY search on of the children of a parent tag or some other combination, if one uses nested tags.

For sure, but I just want to see the list of existing tags in the current Notebook while I'm note-creating so I know what to tag my current note!  :-)

This is getting off-topic but so you know a better way (only current way that I know of) to do that is to click the little tag button next to the Notebook drop-down you mentioned.  It takes a couple tries but eventually it shows a filtered list of Tags by current Notebook.

Back on topic: I did download the current pre-release and the shortcut toolbar is back. Huzzah.

• Level 5*

For sure, but I just want to see the list of existing tags in the current Notebook while I'm note-creating so I know what to tag my current note!  :-)

This is getting off-topic but so you know a better way (only current way that I know of) to do that is to click the little tag button next to the Notebook drop-down you mentioned.  It takes a couple tries but eventually it shows a filtered list of Tags by current Notebook.

Back on topic: I did download the current pre-release and the shortcut toolbar is back. Huzzah.

If you select the notebook from that drop down, hit Shift-Alt-T to display the tag filter, and then click on Click to filter by tag... you should get a list of the tags used in that notebook, every time.

Good news on the shortcut toolbar returning.

• 1 year later...

They did this again in 6.0

now the Shortcut Toolbar is merged with the Evernote Toolbar.

why can they just let this feature live if not enhance it

I was wishing for a customizable multiline Shortcuts Toolbar at the top, but NO, now its a bigger mess

Sheeesh!! Dissapointed big time.

Please give options so the user can customize, and actually make it useful and usable

• Level 5*
On 4/22/2016 at 1:23 AM, iBook said:

I was wishing for a customizable multiline Shortcuts Toolbar at the top, but NO, now its a bigger mess

Please give options so the user can customize, and actually make it useful and usable

I really think they are trying to kill shortcuts. :-( On the Mac, they must be on the left panel, which means shortcuts take up most of the screen and you have to scroll down to get to the notebooks, tags, etc. 

• Level 5*
On 4/22/2016 at 1:23 AM, iBook said:

If you close the left panel and just have the sliver showing, there is a magnifying glass icon that will give you a shortcut drop down.  Works for me since I never have the left panel open in my normal usage of EN.  Maybe not so good if you have the left panel open in your normal usage.  On another note, I really miss saved searches appearing as you type into the search bar.  

• 3 months later...
On 4/22/2016 at 4:23 AM, iBook said:

A Big Thank You to the Evernote Team for Fixing this in the 6.2.

Appreciated :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I had this problem today wasting 2 hours on not finding the shortcuts in the left hand menu on my Mac.

THE SOLUTION IS (reported as a ticket to support):

- You have probably minimized the left hand menu 

- Hover the mouse over the right hand edge of the left menu and drag the border to the right (see attached picture)

- Now, the shortcuts will appear (they have been there all the time)

Poor design, Evernote. Time to fix it!

Skjermbilde 2017-03-24 16.30.19.png

• Level 5*

Shorcuts on Mac is a poor design. I'd argue the entire side panel on Windows and Mac is a poor design as my sidebars are about 30+ screens long given the number of notebooks and tags I have.

At least in Windows I can change the Shortcut menu to be a 2nd toolbar across the top of the screen, which I love. Sadly, the Mac has no such option.

Even iOS has a good Shortcut implementation in that it is a button to quickly access the list.

Archived